Interesting article on earnings/royality for SP vs publishers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
Time to time friends forward interesting articles about the writing profession. Just got sent this one by Joe Konrath about the difference between potential earnings of Self publishing vs AAP publishers. Its about a year old but if ya haven't seen it and are considering the SP route might want to check it out.

http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/2011/02/numbers-game.html

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
OP,

since the inevitable question is going to be "why you all hatin' on Konrath?" I'm going to suggest you do some browsing in the self-pub section here and see a few of the more ummm, I'll just say "honest" breakdowns. Konrath should probably consider a career in politics with his spinning skills.

Sheryl Nantus

Holding out for a Superhero...
Registered
Reaction score
Brownsville, Pennsylvania. Or New Babbage, Second
Website
www.sherylnantus.com
Another thing to consider is that Konrath is, by his own admission, signed with Amazon The Publisher. He may spin different tales about how much better they are but he's still gone *back* to a publisher after leading his own self-pub revolution.

He's got a dog in the fight. He promotes Amazon at every opportunity and ignores the existence of small publishers.

Take with a huge grain of salt. Like, Titanic-sized.

jmo.

Justin SR

Registered
Reaction score
Well it is spring of 2012 now, and it does appear that there are still bookstores around...

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
Another thing to consider is that Konrath is, by his own admission, signed with Amazon The Publisher. He may spin different tales about how much better they are but he's still gone *back* to a publisher after leading his own self-pub revolution.

I guess that's what niggles me the most. Sure, they may be better, they may offer him more (after all, he is fairly popular) of what he likes in being in control of for his publishing career, but that arm of Amazon is dipping into trade publishing (the Bad Word according to his previous sales job of self-publishing RAH!) and not of the DIY kind.

hlynn117

Registered
Reaction score
He's got a dog in the fight. He promotes Amazon at every opportunity and ignores the existence of small publishers.

Take with a huge grain of salt. Like, Titanic-sized.

jmo.

I do like that Konrath has posted interviews by other self-published authors who are doing well. Those articles are ones I enjoy reading, and I've pulled some good advice from them on marketing and promotion. That said, oh hells yes, Konrath is an Amazon cheerleader. For self-publishing, you don't have a publisher. Those I've who are self-publishing with some moderate success are using the multiple platform strategy.

Status
Not open for further replies.