Have any of you slipped?

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I was doing so well writing a story a week and then did almost no writing for two weeks. I also had a bunch of rejections and have been slow to send them back out. Do you guys have any tips for getting back in the swing of things?

KRHolbrook

is not a My Little Pony
Registered
Reaction score
I had a slip that lasted almost two years. I think all I did was look back on my writing and tell myself I could do better then completely reworked my novel idea. I started reading a lot more, too.

As for keeping up a constant story-a-week, I'd suggest just reading the newspaper for interesting events that might've happened lately for more inspiration in writing. :) I had inspiration around Easter when my friend told me about some park not doing an easter egg hunt this year because last year the parents were out of control.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
I was doing so well writing a story a week and then did almost no writing for two weeks. I also had a bunch of rejections and have been slow to send them back out. Do you guys have any tips for getting back in the swing of things?

A relatively-easy thing to do first is to get the stories back out the door. That just requires putting in some time, not a lot of creative energy or thought. Just doing that might help you feel more like you're back in the swing of things.

As far as dealing with a dry spell in general, editor and writer Carrie Cuinn recently had a great post on just this topic: "How I Get Back Up When I Fall Down".

Taylor V

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ironypolicy.wordpress.com
I've only been doing one a month, and I've managed to make it, and sometimes more. Considering bumping it up to trying for two a month, but my job situation just changed and I'm not sure yet whether it'll give me more or less time to write.

Todd Young

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know. My only tip is to make myself write something every morning, even though I know it's sometime just an exercise with words that will never be used. I'm trying to make writing a habit - something I do after eating breakfast. Having said that, I still don't always do it. I guess I'm just lazy when it comes right down to it.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
I'm just doing the 'write one a month' challenge, and I've kept to that. But as for my own personal goals for 2012, I've certainly been slipping on those. I also haven't been writing every day like I should, but I've been better these last few days and intend to stick with it.

d.thomaswise

Misanthropic Humanist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dthomaswise.blogspot.com
To reiterate what Michael said, just keeping all your stories submitted is a good psychological boost for feeling like your moving forward. I have a submission plan set up for each story, so when a rejection comes in, I simply send it out to the next one on the list. This forward momentum (or at least the illusion of it), helps to keep me writing on a regular basis.

Also, keep reading, analyzing weaknesses and strengths in your writing, and mindfully attempting to improve each story. I find the feeling of continual progress and development a strong motivating factor.

I had completed 10 stories in 10 weeks since the beginning of February, but I have "slipped" and have been working on the same story for over two weeks now. Part of this is due to getting a better feel for what the markets are actually looking for (not necessarily what they say), and adjusting for the parameters of the current climate. Another part of it is putting everything I have into this current piece, in a deliberate and intentional fashion, to make sure I'm sending out a piece which truly reflects the level of my writing ability. I think everyone has blind spots or lazy aspects to their writing, and working these things out is the key to improved writing.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
d.thomaswise - It is like we are on the same schedule. I started in February and for ten weeks was going strong. The last two weeks I have had the same story in progress. Maybe there is something about the ten week mark.

I resent two things last night and felt better about things. I still have three to send out again, and I hope to get that taken care of this weekend so I am all caught up with submissions at least.

I just started taking a writing class so I am doing the work for that, but so far the exercises have been really short. They are supposed to be. So I don't really count them as stories. I am going to try and finish a full-length story this weekend and get back on track. I am kind of mad at myself for slipping.

Mad Rabbits

Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing the one a month. I have slipped, yes - sometimes life just gets in the way. A month ago I fractured two toes, having surgery for a cyst shortly (TMI I know), and I am frantically looking for a job.

Earlier this year I was beating my own commitment, getting two or three out a month. Now I am just making the one (and last month it was a flash piece lol).

I am still sending my old stories out though.

Clusters of rejections used to make me doubt myself but it only takes an acceptance or two, or even some positive editorial feedback, to make you realise you're on the right track.

Gettingby, I notice you are aiming very high with your markets, which isn't a bad thing, but if the lack of response is getting you down, once you have exhausted your desired markets for tier A, try tier B maybe.

I suspect I have undersold a couple of stories in the past by aiming too low, so I do understand where you're coming from.

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
^^^ This.
I've been stuck in 'slip' mode since the end of January--haven't written a darned thing but snippets of ideas since developing writer's block after clashing with my partner on my one-and-only joint writing project (novel).

Time to get back on the bike, and I'm starting with a short story for a specific themed mag.

fihr

Registered
Reaction score
I've slipped, but have been incredibly busy with writing. My goal was one story per two months, so don't feel bad, gettingby. I've only sent out one story I've written this year so far.

However... I spent weeks bogged down on one story going nowhere at the start of the year. Until I got it written, for better or worse, I just couldn't extract my mind from the tussle, to work on other things. Got that done, decided it was too bad to send out; to my mind, it just hadn't quite worked, despite all that time. But I think I learned stuff doing it. (I know you're not supposed to judge your own work, but there are times... maybe I'll take another look at that story in a year or two. Maybe. Mind you, it wasn't my worst story.)

The next story took about a month to write. Started as a short, but the plot opened up and it really needed to almost be a novelette. I don't know yet if it worked or not--I'm having a break from it while it awaits feedback. But part of my effort went into stopping it becoming a novel. So that never got sent out either. Yet I was writing heaps.

Then, I did a writing exercise in my writing class, which I warped into a sci fi story for fun, and it took me less than a week. That one got sent out. It's still getting sent out. It's got some near misses, so far. Which just shows that you can never underestimate a writing class exercise, because as you do it, you make it your own. It can be a great way to get ideas (depending on the class--mine is very much for the pleasure of writing, with a very accomplished teacher). The main thing I find is to not give a damn when you are writing, about what anyone else (even your critical self) will think about what you write. It doesn't matter. Let the muse muck around.

Recently, I realised my writing is making me unfit and weak. So I reinvented my fitness regime (i.e.: became consistent and adjusted it better), changed my diet to include more protein, good fats and less junk, and started getting to bed half an hour earlier at night. (Also went on holiday.) Two weeks into the new health regime, I had a day where three completely different stories developed in my head, and, I finished another longer short in a week. Things are looking up. I've got a queue of stuff to work on, and to edit. Seems like the new diet and sleep patterns are helping my brain out.

Anyway, that's what's helping me. At some stage, I'll make up for my lack of subs by sending a flood out the door.