PDA

View Full Version : Copyright Question

Rebekkah
04-26-2012, 08:13 PM
I was wondering, did you guys (who have self-pubished) copyright your manuscript?

Thanks. :)

Medievalist
04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
I was wondering, did you guys (who have self-pubished) copyright your manuscript?

Thanks. :)

You have copyright from the minute you start writing.

Are you asking about registering copyright?

RichardGarfinkle
04-26-2012, 08:15 PM
Copyright is automatic. Here's the FAQ from the copyright office.

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/

Carradee
04-26-2012, 08:53 PM
Yes, I register with the copyright office. :)

Rebekkah
04-26-2012, 09:42 PM
You have copyright from the minute you start writing.

Are you asking about registering copyright?

Yeah. I was wondering if you register your book to be copyrighted so it's on file. Or does it really matter?

Medievalist
04-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Yeah. I was wondering if you register your book to be copyrighted so it's on file. Or does it really matter?

If you have the money, $35.00 or so, I probably would.

Make sure you won't be changing the text (formatting changes are fine; editing the words, a problem) before you register.

Check the rules about how long after publication you have to register; I can't remember what it is right now. I think three months or so. Check the FAQ Richard linked to. You don't want to miss that window.

Old Hack
04-26-2012, 09:50 PM
Rebekkah, please read the FAQ which Richard linked to. It might well answer your questions.

ResearchGuy
04-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Yes, it matters, as you cannot sue (not in the U.S. -- let me add that so I don't get into another piffing match with folks from other countries) without registration, and timely registration gives some important protections.

But note the diference between copyright and registration of copyright. See www.copyright.gov (http://www.copyright.gov) -- esp. FAQs and Copyright Basics.

--Ken

ResearchGuy
04-26-2012, 11:10 PM
If you have the money, $35.00 or so, I probably would.

Make sure you won't be changing the text (formatting changes are fine; editing the words, a problem) before you register.

Check the rules about how long after publication you have to register; I can't remember what it is right now. I think three months or so. Check the FAQ Richard linked to. You don't want to miss that window.
You can still register after that, but you lose some automatic protections if you delay beyond 90 days after publication.

BTW, the tab now is $65 plus two copies of the material (best published edition) if you do it on paper. It is a little cheaper if done online, but that can be a problematic experience, I've read. (I register by mailing copies of book plus a check, via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, rather than fool with the online system.)

--Ken

Arpeggio
04-26-2012, 11:45 PM
You can still register after that, but you lose some automatic protections if you delay beyond 90 days after publication.

BTW, the tab now is $65 plus two copies of the material (best published edition) if you do it on paper. It is a little cheaper if done online, but that can be a problematic experience, I've read. (I register by mailing copies of book plus a check, via Priority Mail with delivery confirmation, rather than fool with the online system.)

--Ken

According to from within the link from RichardGarfinkle it's 5 years. Under "Why should I register my work if copyright protection is automatic?"

http://www.copyright.gov/help/faq/faq-general.html#mywork

Do you have any more info or links on 90 days?

Rebekkah
04-27-2012, 02:59 AM
Thanks, you guys. :) I appreciate your help, and I'll check it out. I think it's worth $35.00 to have that added protection.

ResearchGuy
04-27-2012, 03:08 AM
. . .Do you have any more info or links on 90 days?

See http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf and scroll down to page 7 (it says "three months," not 90 days, so look for that phrase). The pertinent issue is statutory damages.

--Ken

Arpeggio
04-27-2012, 02:19 PM
See http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ01.pdf and scroll down to page 7 (it says "three months," not 90 days, so look for that phrase). The pertinent issue is statutory damages.

--Ken

Thanks. I notice it also includes prior to an infringement of the work. I think many infringments would occur anywhere in the world wherever the copyright owner resides, I don't know what difference that makes. There's usually enough on ones plate let alone side tracking my time directly on thieves. I never thought any further about copyright than how it is automatic.

I've already seen some of my stuff pirated, have tried to download the pirate copy of my work but one site was taken down by law and another has no way of downloading it. Haven't bothered to do anything about it yet, had I been able to get pirate copy of my work I would have contacted the authorities.

Ralyks
04-28-2012, 03:36 PM
No, I don't bother to register it because I'm not planning on suing anyone.