• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Instructions for the reader inserted in books

Status
Not open for further replies.

1swollen1

Where I do all of my reading.
Registered
Reaction score
What would be the reaction to a book that had instructions in it? For example: "You must be standing to read pages 4 to 9" or "Please arch your back while reading this next paragraph." It sounds childish.........I think that it would be kinda fun.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
For a child's book, maybe. As you say, it could be fun.

For grown-ups? I'm not so sure. I don't like being told what to do. You risk alienating more people than you would please.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It is childish, so be careful where you use it.

Lady Ice

Makes useful distinctions
Registered
Reaction score
What would be the reaction to a book that had instructions in it? For example: "You must be standing to read pages 4 to 9"

What if they're in a wheelchair? :p

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
While reading these words you must stand up, salute and hum your national anthem.
I see this kinda working only if the book is read by child and parent together. The parent might find it fun and inflict it on the child.

Also, these are not the droids you're looking for.

RobJ

Banned
Reaction score
What would be the reaction to a book that had instructions in it? For example: "You must be standing to read pages 4 to 9" or "Please arch your back while reading this next paragraph." It sounds childish.........I think that it would be kinda fun.
It would have to serve a purpose, so can you give an appropriate example?

writingismypassion

~Charity~
Registered
Reaction score
I could definitely see something like this working in a children's book, especially as a creative learning tool. But for adults? Not so much.

Cliffhanger

Banned
Reaction score

It would be really gimmicky, even for a kid's book. If I came across that in a book for adults, that wasn't a non-fiction book on exercise for example, I would return it for my money back and likely avoid that author... forever.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
It's not a new idea for children's books. We had a number of books for our kids that worked this way, and teh kids loved them.

I can't see it working for adults, though. Reading is reading, whether you're sitting down, standing up, or doing anything else.

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
It might work for a comedy novel.
Agree with this. If you were writing a humor novel, and if it was actually humorous/appropriate in context (this second point is key), then I could see it working. It would be a comedic thing, of course, i.e. I wouldn't actually expect someone to stand or arch their back, but rather to see the instruction in the context of the chapter/page and laugh.

But otherwise, it definitely wouldn't work.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Definitely wouldn't work?

Children of a young age might well get fun out of the suggested actions while someone reads the story to them. As usual, the effectiveness will be in the execution.

Agree with this. If you were writing a humor novel, and if it was actually humorous/appropriate in context (this second point is key), then I could see it working. It would be a comedic thing, of course, i.e. I wouldn't actually expect someone to stand or arch their back, but rather to see the instruction in the context of the chapter/page and laugh.

But otherwise, it definitely wouldn't work.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
I could see something like that possibly working in an experimental postmodernist novel. It would be difficult to do effectively, though.

Deleted member 42

I think Laurence Sterne already got there with Tristram Shandy.

Cliffhanger

Banned
Reaction score
House of Leaves by Mark Z. Danielewski

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0375703764/?tag=absowrit-20

EDIT: Apparently people refer to it as the Blair Witch of Horror books. Never read it myself but it sounds well-done by the reviews.

House of Leaves is a maze. In an absurd and fun way. It's like getting lost for days on end at TVTropes.org only it's a consistent narrative throughout. Drives you a bit insane, like reading the Illuminatus! Trilogy.

Rhoda Nightingale

Vampire Junkie
Registered
Reaction score
Eh, I wouldn't quite equate House of Leaves with what the OP is suggesting. I mean, okay, the passages are written upside and backwards and side-to-side and there are pages and pages of footnotes and appendices so you have to flip it back and forth and spin it around in a circle to read it, period. But nowhere in the text does it say, "Please stand on your head and recite the National Anthem before reading the next chapter." It's not quite that direct.

To the OP: I'd have to see it in context, honestly. I can see the humor angle as a possibility, and also the experimental angle, and also the children's/middle grade angle, but without knowing what you're actually going for, it's hard to say.

Personally, I resent being told explicitly what to do, by anyone, and that includes books. I'm just stubborn that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.