PDA

View Full Version : Resurrecting Tupac (and now Left Eye)

CrastersBabies
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
So, some of you might have heard about this lovely little gem:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/earshot/coachella-snoop-dogg-tupac-hologram-312314

Apparently, they're looking to go on tour with TLC, "resurrecting" Left-Eye via hollogram.

Creepy? Or new technological trend?

Kitty27
04-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I just about died when I saw the Pac hologram.

I swear smelling salts were needed,I was so outdone.

BUT I feel that was epic enough for the greatness of Tupac. It gets creepy and unacceptable when it starts being done for every celebrity. I adored TLC and Left Eye,especially. But I see no reason to do it.

CrastersBabies
04-26-2012, 07:45 PM
Kitty, that's a really good point. For Tupac, it just felt like, "yeah!" But, now other people jumping on board? Ugh.

archerjoe
04-26-2012, 09:12 PM
It's only a matter of time before Kanye has a duet with himself :Ssh:

Manuel Royal
04-27-2012, 12:54 AM
When the hell did Shakur make a holographic film? Or have they taken existing footage of Shakur, faked it into a 3D CGI image, and projected that as a hologram? (I presume it was projected onto a semitransparent screen. Damnable lack of technical details in the article.)

BenPanced
04-27-2012, 06:25 AM
When the hell did Shakur make a holographic film? Or have they taken existing footage of Shakur, faked it into a 3D CGI image, and projected that as a hologram?
This. It was pretty much CG animation projected on a screen. No true holography involved, really.

backslashbaby
04-27-2012, 12:02 PM
I can't decide! I'd love to 'see' Left Eye at a concert now, just to get a sense of what a real concert might've been like. But I don't feel comfortable with the artist not having OK'ed it before death. Maybe live artists can start giving their permission, and it'll be something nice in the future.

Alpha Echo
04-27-2012, 07:40 PM
I think the whole thing is really creepy. I mean, the fact that we have this technology is really awesome, but using it to "resurrect" celebrities? No way. I'd never pay money to go to a concert of a Beatles hologram...and I love the Beatles. Let alone Tupac and Left Eye - and I liked them both.

Celia Cyanide
04-27-2012, 10:00 PM
I have to say it. I hate TLC. Really hate them. They got better as they got older, but their first single Ain't 2 Proud 2 Beg was ridiculous.

Stiger05
04-27-2012, 10:27 PM
I just about died when I saw the Pac hologram.

I swear smelling salts were needed,I was so outdone.

BUT I feel that was epic enough for the greatness of Tupac. It gets creepy and unacceptable when it starts being done for every celebrity. I adored TLC and Left Eye,especially. But I see no reason to do it.

I'm with you on this. A surprise "hologram" of Pac? Yes, please! Resurrecting everyone? No, that's weird and a touch pathetic. Why not just play the video in the background? (see "Mo Money Mo Problems" video).

My husband was a HUGE Tupac fan and got really excited at first. Then he turned to me asked: "Do you think Biggie and Pac's holograms have put aside their beef and would tour together? Cause that would be weird." I said I'm pretty sure that rivalry transcends the grave, although it would be nice to see it laid to rest (pun intended).

BigWords
04-30-2012, 10:04 PM
This is nothing new (Gene Kelly being resurrected for a truly godawful advert, anyone?), but is a new low as far as respect for artists go. As much as I would love to see Deano play "live", I couldn't bring myself to pay to watch a hologram in place of the real person. There's something in the idea which makes me think of the plans a few years ago (after S1m0ne) to digitally recreate Bogey for a new film - it is nothing short of modern graverobbing.