Thrown weapon effectiveness

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
werdpressed.wordpress.com
Another grim topic for the Story Research forum! :flag:

In my WIP I follow a group of Ancient World style guerilla fighters that, I now realise, make frequent use of thrown weapons. The book is fantasy, but if I had to compare it to a period in history, it would be most akin to Ancient Greece, Persia, Rome, Egypt etc. in terms of technology.

My question is, how effective are they? Is it conceivable that someone proficient in throwing knives could kill a victim with a high repeat success rate? I have a couple of scenes where characters have been killed instantly by these weapons. One target was, admittedly, a javelin, so it doesn't really count. In the other the unfortunate victim was hit by three throwing knives and a hatchet, however. This is also unlikely to be the last scene where thrown weapons are used. Could these weapons get through a rib cage and still have the power to kill a person immediately/almost immediately?

There are two nationalities that have some cultural differences. One is more likely to use throwing knives and small hatchets, the other more likely to use something like this African kpinga.

The kpinga looks nasty, and I could well imagine that killing somebody, but what about throwing knives/small hatchets? Does anyone have any expertise here, or use them themselves?

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
1) It's fiction, and Fantasy, so you get some leeway.

2) Hand-propelled weapons aren't very effective at killing. Even bows and crossbows are no where near as accurate and effective as portrayed in most fantasy. There is a reason people switched to gunpowder after all (and even a modern weapon cannot kill very reliably in one shot, unless it's at very close range).

Main factors to consider: range, armour, and how much you feel you need to adhere to 'realism' in a Fantasy.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
The thing with knives and hatchets and axes, they require a rotational period. So there is a point in their rotation, where the handle is as likely to strike as the point. (One of the nice things about the 'throwing stars' - lots of points. Same for your kpinga - but it still has a handle on it.)

I have friends who are professional knife throwers.(It's how they make their living) They are really, really good at judging the distance from where they are, to the target, and how many rotations it will take, and whether or not they need to throw from the point, or the handle.

They tell me, it's damn near impossible to hit someone who is in motion coming toward or away from you. If you do - it's pure luck.

Now then, creeping up on someone, throwing the knife into them at a distance while they stand watch - sure, they could to it. In the midst of a moving battle? 50-50 chance of success - for the good ones. (Of course, a really heavy axe or hatchet aimed at a head, could also knock someone out with the handle or body of the head.)

Thrown weapons (spears) were fairly effective - used for hunting for thousands of years. You can add something like an atalatl - a stick with a cup on one end, attached to the butt of the spear. This increases the power of the throw. The tennis ball throwers for dogs utilize the same approach. An atalatal will increase the effective velocity of the spear to about 90 miles per hour. (150hmh)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlatl

Javelins and Pilums were fairly effective as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Javelin

Last edited:

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
A skilled knofe thrower can be very effective, but such people are rre. The Romans were effective with javelins and Plumbatae, but those were from masses of soldiers, where some of the weapons had to hit. I am surprised that plumbatae didn't become more popular.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plumbata

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
There is a technique where knives can be thrown straight (not rotating) over middling-short distances WriteKnight.

Still, hitting a critical organ is the hard part. Most targets will live for a while after being hit. Just look at Congresswoman Giffords. Shot in the brain and she survived (mind you, with modern medical intervention).

Absolutely no way a thrown weapon at any kind of range gets you better than 50-75% instant kill. No matter the skill of the user. If the enemy is wearing any kind of armour it just makes things harder.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks guys, and special thanks to WriteKnight for bringing your friend's expertise to the table.

Jager - As these weapons are re-used a few times I'd like to be somewhat realistic. If I have my characters constantly hitting charging enemies in the face from 20ft with throwing knives some readers may ask questions. Also, it's interesting to know because if it's difficult I could work it into the story...have a few people miss, or knives bounce off, or people just shrug them off. Nothing wrong with that :D

WriteKnight - It's safe to assume these guys are experts with any of their weapons. Your advice was really very useful! So far the scenarios I've used them in fit with your descriptions of what's doable. In cloak and dagger missions they're more like to use knives or small axes, while in a battle they're more likely to use javelins.

To see whether or not these weapons are effective, I generally just looked to history and saw if armies used them or not. If they did, then I assumed they must have been useful, else they wouldn't have bothered.

The Franks used throwing axes with short handles and large blades (I assume to minimise the chance of the handle striking, as you said) but from the sources I found this weapon was designed to be thrown en masse to breaks/stick in shields, disrupt a charge and bounce along the ground to get under shields and strike people's legs. Pretty cool, but not quite what I'm going for, as I'm really interested in its ability to actually kill outright, or at least disable.

The kpinga seems to have been designed more for this role. It's heavy, so strikes hard, and if it sticks in someone its weight will cause it to continue slashing as the victim runs. There's documented evidence of this being used to kill and disable.

Shurikens, from what I found online, are considered too light to do enough damage.

I considered the atlatl, but after watching some videos they're very big! For a group of men travelling light it looks a bit cumbersome to carry. Also, it takes a bit of setting up to use. I have these weapons in mind as being quick reaction ones. In one scene, an enemy appears out of the bush and within a few seconds three hidden guerrillas have thrown their weapons at him. I'm keeping practical considerations in mind as well, so if a tool is mutlifunctional then all the better. A throwing axe or knife may still be used around a campsite. I suppose an atlatl could be used as a tent pole or something too.

James D. Macdonald

Your Genial Uncle
Absolute Sage
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
madhousemanor.wordpress.com
Mostly, with thrown knives, what you've done is 1) you've disarmed yourself, 2) you've armed your opponent, and 3) you've pissed him off.

Regardless of what you've seen in the movies (e.g. the James Coburn character in The Magnificent Seven), you really can't throw a switchblade or similar hard enough to penetrate bone. You'd be hard-pressed to stab hard enough even if you held the weapon in your hand. Most vital organs are surrounded by bone. Organs that aren't protected as well are usually covered with layers of tough muscle, and/or aren't instantly fatal. You may hit someone in the liver or the kidney, and they may bleed to death -- an hour from now. Plenty of time for them to both raise the alarm and walk over and kick your ass.

I'm told that shuriken and throwing stars were used to distract an opponent by making him duck or blink, giving you time to close the distance to effective hand-to-hand range, or make a retreat. A handful of change tossed at someone's head has the same effect, and is just about as lethal.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
For lightly armed travelers I think that javelinsor plumbtae would be best. They had enough weight to be effective, and those small throwing axes would be about as good.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Hurlbats, franciscas, arrows, rocks and so forth are designed to make advancement of the opponent more difficult by injuring but not killing. The heavier weapons (spears, hammers, swords) were the ones that killed. For a traveller, the spear is the easiest weapon to carry and maintain. Projection weapons would be the bow and arrow.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Grenades... Yes, seriously.

Grenades have been in documented use since the 15th Century - perhaps even earlier in China. Do some searching online - there's a lot of information out there.

Drachen Jager

Registered
Reaction score
Do you think that 15th century grenades were efficient killing devices?

Chazevelt

Registered
Reaction score
If your up for doing a little inventing- as opposed to adhering to actual historical weapons- I've got two suggestions for a fantasy story.
The first would be a type of bolo such as South American cowboys use, but studded with perhaps sharpened sticks or tacks- almost like a ball and chain flail but in miniature and triplicate. Easy to pack a bunch of them without a lot of weight or volume.
The second idea is a boomerang (the non-returning type) but sharpened either on the points, or as a blade edge- or both. A lucky hit could slit a throat, a good stick would cause a lot of blood loss and weaken the enemy. Maybe aimed at the face or hamstring. Again, easy to pack a dozen of them without slowing you down, and if you survive the battle, you could retrieve them to rearm yourself.

Mark Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Okay, already posted on a couple of other combat related threads so thought I'd chime in here as well. I'm a contributing editor at Black Belt Magazine so have a bit of experience in the close combat field.

The first thing is differentiating between the "possible" and the "probable" when talking about something like this. Yes, any thrown weapon, even a baseball, can potentially kill someone, though it's not likely. A thrown knife would almost never have better than a 50% chance of killing someone, and even that high a percentage is unlikely. Hatchets might have a little better success rate since they are heavier and could, potentially, crush someone's skull if you hit them in the head.

You also have to keep in mind, there are only a few spots you can stab someone, even with a hand held knife, that will kill the person quickly, say in under 10 seconds (and yes, I do know far too much about this stuff for my own mental health). Also, most of these places you would have to penetrate several inches, not even counting going through clothes or armor, so the knife you use can't be a small one. I doubt even an expert knife thrower, in the midst of combat, would stand a decent chance of doing do fatal damage.

That being said, as someone above pointed out, knives and small bladed weapons are sometimes used in various martial arts as distractions to close the distance on an opponent (you would, of course, be holding another knife or sword in your hand to finish the opponent). You might want to Google a group called Sayoc Kali, a Filipino style that specializes in this tactic.

Also, one major exception to this rule is if the knife blade were coated with poison, something that has been used historically. However, most of these poisons would not kill or disable a person instantly, they would only insure that, win or lose, he suffers from the effects later on. However, since you're writing in a fantasy setting, you could certainly come up with a fast acting poison.

Final note, I believe a knife rotates 180 degrees for every 8 feet it is thrown. In other words, if you want to hit somebody standing 8 feet away from you, you'd have to hold the tip of the knife and throw it with the handle facing the target. At 16 feet, you'd throw by holding the handle and having the tip pointing at the target. But I'm not an expert on throwing and it's possible the size or weight of the weapon might cause variations in this.

Hope that helps.

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Um. So, I just feel the need to point out that if your thrower is a ninja, they are gonna kill cause that's what ninjas do. If this is a fantasy, you could be dealing with ninjas. If you needed to be.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Mark Jacobs: Poison...that's a great idea, I'm shocked I didn't think of that. It would make sense if they were on a mission where they needed people to die quickly and quietly, and when it comes to poison I can be as creative as I like.

Hmm, I'd have to rewrite one scene where someone was hit by one of these weapons and didn't die for it to be more plausible, but I really like that suggestion. Also, I'm starting to get that the heavier the weapon the more likely it is to kill (or wind someone, or break a rib, or knock them unconscious...). Using throwing knives as a distraction fits with my characters as well, so thank you to James and yourself for that.

Nayla: They aren't ninjas, though they are very good at what they do :). They're commandos.

ironmike: No grenades, as there's no gunpowder :Shrug:. Also, not bery stealthy.

Chaze: Nice ideas, but I can't imagine these weapons having the force to kill someone outright in a way that a knife or axe couldn't.

Snick: They carry javelins as well, but only really for pitched battles. When they're being stealthy they need something small that can be carried without inhibiting movement, picked up and used quickly, hence the knife or small axe.

P.s. The enemies they kill don't wear body armour.

Last edited:

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Also consider hoops and lassos. Hoops for their ability to be lit on fire and lassos for their ability to act as snares. Effective for taking down riders and cavalry.

PPartisan

<><'ing for compliments
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Lil: Slings are quite common in open battles. My main armies use a lot of slings and javelins. Again, not quite fitting for behind enemy lines action though. It takes quite a bit of space to move a sling, so it's a bit cumbersome. Easy to carry though.

Xelebes: Thanks :)

ULTRAGOTHA

Merovingian Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
If you're trying to be quiet behind enemy lines, how about strangling with a garotte?

Mark Jacobs

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Glad I could be of help, PPartisan. Also, Ultragotha makes a good point about, if this is commando stuff behind enemy lines, it would likely be "silent" killing. Besides strangulation, a knife could be used. But that is a whole different realm of using a knife - one that it's probably best not to get too involved in describing in an open forum. But suffice to say, commandos, even in ancient times, would not have been too involved in open combat with an enemy but would have looked to do quick raids and, by necessity, would probably try to kill silently and quickly since they'd likely be outnumbered.

Don't want to be spammy here but I just posted an article on my site about what makes a great literary fight. Might be of interest to you and others who are looking to write some close combat scenes. Link is in my signature. Article was posted May 3. Good luck with your book.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
There is a technique where knives can be thrown straight (not rotating) over middling-short distances WriteKnight.

Still, hitting a critical organ is the hard part. Most targets will live for a while after being hit. Just look at Congresswoman Giffords. Shot in the brain and she survived (mind you, with modern medical intervention).

Absolutely no way a thrown weapon at any kind of range gets you better than 50-75% instant kill. No matter the skill of the user. If the enemy is wearing any kind of armour it just makes things harder.

Most of this simply isn't true. Nothing is 100%, but you seem to know very little about weapons, including firearms.

StephanieFox

Maybull the Bulldog
Registered
Reaction score
There's a Sikh weapon called a chakra (or chacra or chakram or chakar) which is a kind of a throwing disk or ring. It about 5 to 12 inches, 1/2 to an 1 1/2 wide with the outer edge sharpened. You hold it between the thumb and first finger and you throw it. It would not be the only weapon that you'd use but would be the one you'd use at a distance before you'd come in and finish the job with another weapon. They are not designed to take off a head.

IrisFlower81

Flower Girl
Registered
Reaction score
Wow. I may not be the original poster, but a lot of this information is incredibly useful to my WIP as well. You guys tend to know your stuff. :)