Anachronisms in Labeling in Queer Historical Fiction

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilysea

Registered
Reaction score
Sooo... I have several pieces of writing (most recently a YA adventure novel) that feature people who were born girls, who put on boys' clothes and started passing as boys for various reasons--mainly originating in personal safety and carrying on for personal desire/identity.

I have a hard time discussing these characters when querying etc. because on the one hand I sort of think of them and their girlie female love interests as proto-butch/femme lesbian couples. But in fact, they are possibly more proto-trans characters.

Really though, they are not proto-anything, but just what they are. What they are has no name I can settle on however, as I am loathe to be anachronistic.

How about ya'll? Anybody here have a similar conundrum in your work? How to you handle it?

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If you're writing historical fiction, why not use the name for such people that was used in that time period/culture?

lilysea

Registered
Reaction score
That's just it, though, they didn't very much--love that dare not speak its name and yadda yadda...

Within the books I mostly call these cross-dressed characters men and boys--which is how they think of themselves. But of course, it's more complex than that (and those complexities arise in the stories). There were various contemporaneous slurs to refer to queer people and those come up a bit in the books themselves. But even words like "invert" (which I must admit, I adore!) doesn't appear for quite some time after the period I'm in (1850-1900ish).

Also, even if "invert" were the going term (let's say we're in the 20s), not many people in the general population are going to get that when I'm trying to tell them about the book.

It has just recently occurred to me that my characters are somewhat illegible and that makes them harder to "sell." They are lovely, though, once given a chance!

Deleted member 42

That's just it, though, they didn't very much--love that dare not speak its name and yadda yadda...

I wouldn't label 'em.

Cross-dressing characters and people aren't new in literature or history.

I'd just be matter-of-fact about the characters, and their relationships.

We don't label straight cis-gendered folk as straight and cis gendered; describe your characters as they are in relationship to others.

"Olivia is strongly attracted to Duke Orsino's page Sebastian, and Sebastian is just as strongly attracted to Duke Orsino, who isn't quite sure what to do about his own feelings for his page, yet neither the Lady Olivia nor Duke Orsino know that Sebastian is really Viola, dressed in borrowed clothing, and using a name that is not her own. "

I'm not a blurb writer, but I think this Twelfth Night plot summary kind of suggests one way of dealing.

lilysea

Registered
Reaction score
That's about what the query sounds like now. I'm still a stickler for "really" or what-have-you to second-guess a "true" identity, you know?

I put the query someone on the web for feedback, just saying "Born a girl, X has been dressing as a boy, blah-blah" and I use male pronouns. Then I say "his childhood sweetheart Y [girl's name]" and someone's feedback was. "I don't get it. It sounds like a lesbian story."

Welp. I was stumped at that point.

Deleted member 42

That's about what the query sounds like now. I'm still a stickler for "really" or what-have-you to second-guess a "true" identity, you know?

I put the query someone on the web for feedback, just saying "Born a girl, X has been dressing as a boy, blah-blah" and I use male pronouns. Then I say "his childhood sweetheart Y [girl's name]" and someone's feedback was. "I don't get it. It sounds like a lesbian story."

Welp. I was stumped at that point.

I don't know quite how to phrase this politely, but there are a lot of less than astute readers.

I haven't read your book, obviously, and that could well change my suggestion:

But.

I'd skip the born a girl part. I'd use the character's name, or perhaps X's parents think of X as a girl, but X doesn't.

The synopsis / blurb (I know they aren't the same) is the introduction of your book to a stranger.

I wouldn't introduce someone to someone new to them by providing a run down of their gender presentation and orientation.

Have you read Emma Bull's Bone Dance? If not, go find a copy right now and read it. It's not historical, but it's a damn fine book.

Last edited by a moderator:

lilysea

Registered
Reaction score
True that (less than astute readers). BUT his gender is a big part of who he is, so it needs a mention. Otherwise, I think once a reader (or agent, or editor) got the book, it would feel like a gotcha.

I don't know that there's much of a solution to this problem, but I keep tweaking in the hopes of improvement.

Deleted member 42

I don't know that there's much of a solution to this problem, but I keep tweaking in the hopes of improvement.

There's a lot of damned if you do and damned if you don't in this line 'o work :D

Interrobang

Registered
Reaction score
The name 'Tom' might suit. It's from the late 19th-century and refers to a 'masculine woman', or a woman who prefers the company of other females. It might be related to 'Tomboy'.

lilysea

Registered
Reaction score
Interrobang is an awesome screen name! (!? that is)

I love the word Tom. I think it's more English than U.S. American though. And even so, doesn't quite get at m current MC who really thinks of himself as a man-with-a-difference rather than as a woman who likes women.

Just as an aside, I also love using the words "queer" and "gay" in their earlier contexts, as a wink to my readers.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
How about something like what you've said:
Although a girl by birth, 'X' thinks of himself as a man-with-a-difference rather than as a woman who likes women.
The 'girl by birth' for the set-up, the male pronoun because that's how he thinks of himself, and how you refer to him, and the 'man-with-a-difference' vs. 'woman who likes women' for clarity.

Status
Not open for further replies.