PDA

View Full Version : Today's question: when do you write 'safer' sex?

veinglory
12-30-2005, 02:55 AM
In real life couples are advised to practise safer sex even in committed relationships! Condoms as well as dental dams for oral.

In writing when do you write safer sex, all contemporary, only one night stands, only when realisitic for the character?

Cathy C
12-30-2005, 03:13 AM
All of my characters at least think about it on-screen. Since I write paranormal, I can bend the rules of reality so that a specific type of magic, or creature, is unable to impregnate or get pregnant. Fantasy is handy like that! :banana:

In our latest ms., the character is human, but a vampire bite made her sterile (and we STILL put her on the pill because of hereditary hormone imbalances! :ROFL: )

But when I write contemporary, the characters pretty much always use protection or have a darned good reason why they don't (tubal, vasectomy, etc.)

veinglory
12-30-2005, 04:19 AM
Do species differences also deal with all disease issue? Actually it make sme wonder about the possible of dangerous zoonoses--there's a story in there somewhere [hmmm].

pepperlandgirl
12-31-2005, 11:57 AM
My heroines are always on the Pill in contemporaries. My characters always use condoms in contemporaries as well. Beyond that? I don't worry about it. I know safe sex is important, but damnit, I'm writing fantasy not a how-to manual. I think it's important and realistic for modern day people to be safe, but come on, this is supposed to be fun. Diseases don't have any place in erotica, period. Not even the possible fear of diseases. not even the consideration of diseases. In straight romances? Probably. In literature where the erotic fantasy isn't the main point? Sure, absolutely.

But not in hot, wet, dirty, lusty, sweaty, naked, panting, sex.

Cathy C
12-31-2005, 07:48 PM
Do species differences also deal with all disease issue? Actually it make sme wonder about the possible of dangerous zoonoses--there's a story in there somewhere [hmmm].

Also hmmm... Well, the next book (or the one after that) in our Sazi world is going to have shapeshifting raptors. Maybe concerns about bird flu? Mull, mull, mull...

reph
12-31-2005, 11:08 PM
In real life couples are advised to practise safer sex even in committed relationships!
Not necessarily. It depends on their history together and apart.

I mean, there's no need to go overboard in writing safety measures into a story because of the idea that everyone needs them. It'd be clunky and unrealistic.

veinglory
12-31-2005, 11:13 PM
I think some advice agencies always advise safe sex because so often it turns out that even a ostensibly reliable and commited person can be doing the dirty... :(

reph
12-31-2005, 11:33 PM
I think some advice agencies always advise safe sex because so often it turns out that even a ostensibly reliable and commited person can be doing the dirty...(
I can see their reasoning. I just hope these same advisers don't run fertility clinics on the side.

scarletpeaches
12-31-2005, 11:36 PM
Do you know, it's not something I've ever thought about. I've had a few 'saucy' scenes in my writing but I just assume that the reader knows, especially with the first time of sleeping together, a new couple will practise safe sex. I've only ever read one or two books when the rolling on of the condom was mentioned and...well, it seemed clunky. As has already been mentioned, I write entertainment, not how-to manuals.

reph
01-01-2006, 03:58 AM
I've only ever read one or two books when the rolling on of the condom was mentioned and...well, it seemed clunky.
I've seen condoms mentioned in a couple of the Harlequins I looked at recently. Not the actual rolling on; the item of men's wear was written into the stories more subtly and gracefully than that. But it was clearly in use.