• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

When to use two and three line scene breaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Author123

Registered
Reaction score
When do you use two lines to separate scenes and when do you use three lines?

Thanks.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
It's a personal issue, there are no rules I am aware of...

House editors will have their own styles for breaks, so I would just stay consistent whatever you use...

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
By two lines I assume you mean a manual break. I tend to use them to indicate a change of POV, or a significant time lapse between scenes.

But three lines? I'm not sure you'd use that much at all and I'm curious to know if anyone else uses that size of break.

I'm not sure but I may be misunderstanding your question. Could you elaborate with perhaps an example?

dawinsor

Dorothy A. Winsor
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Scene breaks are usually marked with a # in an otherwise blank line. That's it. You don't need some special number of lines for different kinds of scenes.

Author123

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so ONE line between paragraphs for scene breaks and TWO lines for POV changes or significant time lapse?

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Maybe you're thinking of the number of spaces you've seen in published novels. In your doc, a centered # will tell the reader it's a scene break.

-Derek

Rob Lopez

New Skin; Learning About Thick Fish
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so ONE line between paragraphs for scene breaks and TWO lines for POV changes or significant time lapse?

No lines between paragraphs - just indent the next line (if you plan to format for Kindle, auto-indent using one of the arrows on the ruler bar).

A line between every paragraph only works online where indent function doesn't work.

One line then to separate different scenes (with * or # as mentioned above, more for reference than anything - useful for Kindle, but not mandatory for print. It's just to prevent a reader getting confused if the gap between scenes falls at the top or bottom of a page so that they don't notice the scene change).

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks.

What's standard for manuscript formatting is to double-space, center a hash mark (#) , and double-space again.

Otherwise, for your own use, it doesn't matter, but I'd think you'd want to be consistent, whatever you choose, just to make things easier on yourself when it's time to clean it up for submission.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

You're making this way more complicated than it merits. No reason to use anything other than a single line break, and you should put a # or some other symbol on that line. The only other breaks you should need would be page breaks between chapters.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.