GODZILLA

Lord Hierarch

Registered
Reaction score
So I found an old VHS of Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah, and I had a MASSIVE Nostalgia attack. And I'm only 18! I love Godzilla, how'd I forget him? Anyone else watch Godzilla ?

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
I live in the land of 'Gojira' (Japanese pronunciation) and love all the original movies until they became too silly by the late sixties. The newer versions in the late eighties/early nineties were somewhat better, and I still shed a tear when I watch Godzilla vs Destroyer. Meltdowns are never pretty.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla.We love King Caesar and the aliens that turn part-gorilla. *snerk* I also love the goofy humor in the early movies.

We also love Destroy All Monsters. The head alien is such a snarky bitch. That one illustrates perfectly our family's favorite Godzilla trope: "Never Trust the Friendly Space Aliens!"

Speaking of that, Godzilla: Final Wars is lots of fun, too.

Our least favorites are Godzilla Raids Again (boring and it looks so much like it was tossed together only to cash in on the first successful movie) and Godzilla vs. Biollante (because I hate being preached at).

Lord Hierarch

Registered
Reaction score
Let's see....

For me my favorites are Godzilla vs. King Ghidorah. So emotional and yet so much destruction!

Final Wars, of course :D.

The one with Titanosaurus and Godzilla... plus one other. MechaGodzilla I believe?

Also the first one, in black and white. That was the best of them all.

FalconMage

Rob J. Vargas
Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Has anyone compiled a list of the movies the monsters were borrowed from to be on Monster Island for Destroy all Monsters? I know a few.

I've always been a bit curious about that, but never had much luck.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Liked the first Godzilla and Godzilla vs The Thing (a.k.a Godzilla vs Mothra). Later on, they got a little sillier--then a lot sillier--but got better about twenty years ago, formulaic or not.

Huge Gamera fan and I remember the cheesy stuff from the 60's. However, the reboot in the late 90's was very impressive in terms of direction and music. Very sharp editing and a lot of clever touches with that version. Gamera vs Legion wasn't so hot, but GIII (vs. Iris) was really a work of art. Sure, it's guys wrestling around in cheap rubber suits but when it's all presented on film...not as bad as you think. I enjoyed those flicks and yes, bought the DVD's. Lots of fun.

Fiender

Registered
Reaction score
Am I a Godzilla fan? I am surrounded by Godzilla collectables right now...

MVK

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a big fan. Have most of the movies, though finding DVDs of the 90's movies has been super tough. There's just something compelling about the big lizard.