Voluntary sterilization question

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

What would be involved if a woman wanted to get her tubes tied in her early 30s? She's in good health, no kids, never been married, and wants this done -- what roadblocks would she have to work through?

Thanks to anyone who has anything to share! If more info about the circumstances/location/etc. would help just let me know. Please also feel free to pm.

Have a great day!
Caren

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
caren1701 said:
what roadblocks would she have to work through?
Caren, what do you mean by "roadblocks"?

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Hiya Aconite,

I get the feeling her doctor wouldn't just say, "OK, how's next Thursday?" but can't put my finger on anything specific, any specific hoops she'd have to jump through. My mom had to have my dad's signed permission to get her tubes tied -- but it was 1975, & she already had 2 kids, so her situation was different. Most women I know have the opposite problem -- some kind of infertility issue. My protag is looking for this in the mid-1980s if that helps.

Thanks! :)
Caren

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
When I worked in the ob/gyn department (nursing rotation as a student: 1979) they would never tie the tubes of a person after childbirth unless they had signed an agreement well in advance.

At the same time, or shortly after, we had a woman in there who had a reverse tubilagation - she finally met the man of her dreams and changed her mind and wanted to have a baby with him.

This prompted a BIG HOT discussion back in our classroom and some of the things brought up back then (going from memory) was that if a single person did not want children (and there was no medical problem suggesting she have her tubes tied) no doctor would touch her. Mainly because years later, she may meet "Mr. Right" and suddenly she'll regret having them tied. Someone brought up a case in which a single person had tubes tied but only after seeing two doctors and going through an extensive psychological evaluation and counseling.

I think today it may be simpler as more and more women are opting to not have children. But if you're talking about the 80's...things were still a bit old fashioned in their ways.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
September skies said:
a single person had tubes tied but only after seeing two doctors and going through an extensive psychological evaluation and counseling.

I think today it may be simpler as more and more women are opting to not have children. But if you're talking about the 80's...things were still a bit old fashioned in their ways.

Thanks for your answer! :)

I had my daughter in 1987, & I remember that attitudes were a LOT different then -- some of my more liberated friends were aghast that I chose to stay at home with my baby. That's why I'm having such a hard time with this question, I think. Any thoughts on how I could find more details about the psych eval & counseling? Specifically, what would she have to say so they'd OK the procedure? Would a family tragedy do it? Google searches haven't given me much so far.

Thanks again!

Aconite

Registered
Reaction score
Ah, you mean the kinds of things other people would do to make it difficult. Why not ask your GP, or your OB/GYN? People usually fall all over themselves to tell you things when you say you're writing a book.

When a gentleman of my acquaintance had a vasectomy, he had his medical history taken and had a brief (15-minute) meeting with a nurse who asked if he had thought through the ramifications of his decision, and that was it. His wife's permission was not required. I would be disgusted, but not surprised, if things were much different for a woman these days. It's possible that much would depend on the venue--Planned Parenthood may have a different attitude than her doctor who was trained in the 70's.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why I seem to miss the obvious -- I'm sure my GYN would answer a question like this for me. Not sure if she's old enough to know what would've been s.o.p. 20 years ago, but there's one way to find out!

Thanks Aconite!

Status
Not open for further replies.