PDA

View Full Version : Like to get together

Mari Mitchell
04-23-2012, 07:54 AM
FYI: I am horribly dyslexic. My spelling can go off in a strange direction, I skip words (mostly, pronouns, forms of be, and the word not. I try and fix everything I write before any sees it.

I love speculative fiction. I have been published. I am not a pro, but I have had several things published.

I am currently taking a writing class with Cat Rambo. I hoped that group I am in would converse, blog, post on the forums for the class, and review each others work. Nope. If Cat isn't there, they don't do squat.

I would love to get a core group together to review each others work.

I am a member of Writing.com, but the trouble there is that a lot of folks who don't take their writing seriously. They would rather have fun and make friends. I want to make friends too, but I need real feedback, from folks who read, write and review speculative fiction and are active.

Also the core of active horror group thinks their writing is the best. The give awards and high praise for things with grammar, spelling and other issues.

The steampunk, fantasy, and science fiction are not that active.

I am an active member of Critters. You get good reviews, but you have to waits weeks or longer to get a review.

I am honest, hardworking and respectful. I try and explain what I don't like and try give something that might make it better. I say what I like. I have gone out of my way to educate myself about writing horror, science fiction, and fantasy.

I love to converse on writing. I love to read. I love to write.

I hope to hear from someone soon...

Maryn
04-23-2012, 04:50 PM
Mari, might I suggest that you continue to post here, including giving feedback at the Share Your Work boards which interest you (whether you write in that genre or not), until you have the required 50 posts and can put up your own work for critique?

In the meantime, it's fairly easy to talk writing and make friends here. You can read the active posts in your genre's board, then the 'overview' board (i.e., novels), and participate in some of the more fun boards like Office Party, Movies and TV, or Now We're Cookin'.

You sound like nice person and we'd be delighted to get to know you better. We all love to converse on writing (and everything else!), love to read, and love to write.

Not that you can't get together a separate group which critiques and supports one another behind closed doors, but there's no reason not to participate in the same actions in public, too.

Maryn, watching it snow hard

cjcurrie
04-24-2012, 10:34 AM
Yup – This forum is far more active than any I've seen before. A lot of it has to do with the 50-post requirement for SYW. Most of the topics I post on AW get more replies than I'm able to keep up with.

I don't know what kind of core group you're looking for, but if you PM me with details and a synopsis of what you'd like critiqued, I'll respond in kind.

aliwood
04-27-2012, 12:35 PM
Hi Mari,

Welcome along :welcome:

You mentioned SFF in your post. A lot of us Sff-ers hang around in the SFF cantina (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232931), and the forum for the genre (http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=39) is fairly active. We have a reading group like all genres here and you're more than welcome to join in.