Either/Or

evangaline

Registered
Reaction score
I feel like such an idiot asking this. *shakes head* For some reason, the more I write, the more I question my knowledge of the basics. *sigh*
When using or, is it necessary to always use either?
Example:
People hurt or they don't. People either hurt or they don't.
Any info would be greatly appreciated!
*trying to get my brain working again*

ArtsyAmy

Registered
Reaction score
I don't think "either" is necessary with "or." But now you've got me wondering why one would use "either." I don't know the rule on this. Perhaps it's a stylistic choice? Maybe the use of "either" provides a sense of emphasis that it can't be both (of whatever is being discussed), but can only be one. Seems to me you'd use "either" when discussing only two things (not more than two things), but "or" could be used when the list of possibilities includes two or more.

Allen R. Brady

Registered
Reaction score
Amy has it right. You use the "either... or..." construct when you are trying to emphasize that there are only two options available. Thus:

"I'm thinking of buying either a Toyota or a Nissan," implies that I've made up my mind, and am limiting my decision to those two brands only.

"I'm thinking of buying a Toyota or a Nissan," implies that these are examples of the kinds of brands I'm considering, but I'm not necessarily locked in.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Either/or is best defined the further they appear from each other in a sentence.

For example, You will either clean up your room this minute, young man, or you'll be grounded the rest of the week.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The comma use by Silver King is correct because of the inserted manner of address but a comma isn't usually required between either/or or neither/nor phrases.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
Amy has it right. You use the "either... or..." construct when you are trying to emphasize that there are only two options available. Thus:

"I'm thinking of buying either a Toyota or a Nissan," implies that I've made up my mind, and am limiting my decision to those two brands only.

"I'm thinking of buying a Toyota or a Nissan," implies that these are examples of the kinds of brands I'm considering, but I'm not necessarily locked in.

Actually, either/or constructions aren't limited to only two options; you can use 'either/or' with multiple options.

According to the dictionary:

Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary said:
either (conj) used as a function word before two or more coordinate words, phrases, or clauses joined usu. by 'or' to indicate that what immediately follows is the first of two or more alternatives.

I think the main distinguishing factor is that using 'either/or' emphasises that only one choice can apply, not the number from which to choose.

For example, let's take a sample (if lame) sentence.

For plot planning, you can use index cards, sticky notes, or a computer spreadsheet.

No one would intrepret this to mean that you can use only one of these tools: you could use one, two, or all three.

But if the sentence were:

For plot plannng, you can use either index cards sticky notes, or a computer spreadsheet.

that would mean you could use one and only one of the tools (which is, of course, untrue anyway :D).

So, to sum up, the purpose of 'either/or' is usually to make it clear that only one of multiple options can be used.