PDA

View Full Version : Getting arrested for stealing a car

Cai
04-22-2012, 11:14 PM
Hello everyone!

My FMC is going to steal her parents' car but her parents don't know it was their daughter. So they report it stolen.

I want my FMC to get picked up by the police a few hours later and I was wondering: What would happen to her when she is (and has been) arrested? Where would she be kept? What would happen once her parents learn about who stole the car? Obviously, they will be furious with my FMC but still want her to be released. How long would that take? I'd like for it to take at least a few hours (maybe a night?), would that be plausible? And I guess she would not have to face consequences once her parents are involved, is that right?

Since my FMC is on the move, this could happen in either Missouri or Illinois. She is 16.

Thanks so much for your answers! :)

jclarkdawe
04-23-2012, 12:50 AM
There are a lot of depends here, but I've got some idea of what you want to do with your plot, so that narrows it down a bit. Some of this will depend upon the size of the police department involved, as bigger departments have a little less room to deal with individual cases.

The vehicle would be stopped in a felony stop manner, with guns pointed, hands out the window, open the car door from the outside, and walk backwards until they tell her to go to her knees. Until they identify her, the police have no idea whether they have a dumb kid or a convict with multiple convictions. She's going to be freaking out. Watching COPS will give you a good idea of how a felony stop is done and how it's different from a regular traffic stop.

She would be identified, given her Miranda rights, searched, and cuffed. They'd ask her what happened, warn her again of her rights, and she'd babble like crazy, trying to explain what happened. Strong probability she'd have an axiety attack. Her story is going to be rather incoherent and require some effort for the police to figure out what she's talking about.

Now we hit a 'it depends' area. Smaller town, especially the town her parents live in, would probably try to call her parents. Easiest solution for the police is to get her parents, release her to their custody, let the parents deal with the car, and move on with their lives. Larger department, or if they're unable to contact the parents, would just take her to the station.

Identification would indicate she's a juvenile, and can't be held with adults. She'd be booked, and then questioned again, with the hopes that she's a bit more coherent. She'd formally waive her Miranda rights (she'd be signing a form). She be held either in a holding cell or an interview room, or maybe just handcuffed to a chair in the office. Attempts would be made to contact her parents.

What happens next depends upon her juvenile record. If she's got a history, she might be held in a juvenile center until she can go in front of a judge, regardless of whether the police can contact the parents. If she's got a minor history or no history, she'll be released into her parent's custody. Of course, they might not be able to contact her parents for quite a while. After a while of not reaching the parents, she'd be sent to a juvenile center.

Further prosecution depends both upon her parents dropping the issue, and the police department's policies. If she's never been in trouble, and stained her shorts in the process, they'll probably figure they've scared her straight.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

Cai
04-23-2012, 11:02 AM
Oh yes, she doesn't have any former convictions.

Thanks a lot for your response, this is really helpful!