A self-publisher to watch?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Trolling through Amazon the other day, I found this book. It's not my type of read, but it caught my attention being #9 on Amazon and self-published. Apparently, it's also high up on the NYT and USA Today bestseller's list. But what really caught my attention was the reader love, beyond number of sales, that it seems to be getting; it has over 345 legit (most of the reviewers seem to be active on Amazon) 5 star reviews.

Thoughts? Is this just a temporary surge or possibly an Amanda Hocking?

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I don't watch self-publishers -- I let the Big Six do it for me. ;)

shadowwalker

empty-nester!
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I neither understand nor trust Amazon rankings (or bestseller lists, frankly). But if the author is doing well, more power to them.

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, nothing less than 4 and 5 star reviews. Makes one wonder...

I don't think the reviews are faked. There are two 1 stars and seven 2 stars, but the Goodreads reviews also tell the same story. Plus, if you look at some of the reviewers' profiles from Amazon and Goodreads (I was suspicious at first, too), they seem to be legit.

ETA: Susan, I think so, too (go AW!).

JayMan

Like Burt Reynolds in Gator
Registered
Reaction score
The book may well be an excellent read, but if there's one thing I've learned on Amazon, it's to never ever ever ever trust the ratings for books. Amazon reviewers in general tend to be the least well-read people on the planet, and you will frequently see books that are absolute trash, or mediocre at best, getting loads of four-star and five-star ratings, with rave reviews that make me wonder if the reviewer has ever read a book in their life.

Again, I'm not saying this book in particular is bad or anything of that sort. It probably isn't, especially if it was written by an AWer. Just saying that Amazon ratings are a poor metric for quality.

Mr. Anonymous

Just a guy with a pen & a delusion
Registered
Reaction score
read the first few pages, they're pretty good. And it has a great premise. Glad that it's doing well. Good for the author.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Just saying that Amazon ratings are a poor metric for quality.

This is the case with reviews everywhere, even on indie sites like Goodreads.

I ignore the majority of reviews and read the highest-rated 2- and 3-star reviews. These tend to be written by more level-headed people who evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of a book more realistically.

Rubay H.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
maryfrikkenpoppins.wordpress.com
Yes, she is. I remember reading the query letter in QLH.

Woo-hoo! Good for her! :D

And if I'm honest with myself, the best sci-fi I read this year so far was Wool, written by another self-pub author/former AW member who's been on the top of the Amazon lists.
There's some good self-pubs out there - if you're willing to look.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Ignore the reviews and download the sample. That's what speaks to the quality of the writing, which is very good. As is the story so far. I'm not usually a romance reader, but this book is compelling. So I bought it. Thanks for pointing it out.

juniper

Always curious.
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, the sample was really good. I bought too. On my iPhone now for reading at work surreptitiously.

ETA: I found the QLH thread, last entry from about a year ago. I wonder if she sent it out to agents or decided to just go on her own?

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, based on the premise and what little I read of it, this looks to be several cuts above your average self-pubbed novel. I wonder why she couldn't get an agent and publisher for this.

One little thing I noticed about the opening pages. TJ's friend was allowed to accompany him to the boarding gate. Is this a historical novel? :D

Last edited:

absitinvidia

A bit of a wallflower
Registered
Reaction score
One little thing I noticed about the opening pages. TJ's friend was allowed to accompany him to the boarding gate. Is this a historical novel? :D

The date stamp on the first page says it's June 2001.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Big congrats to the author. Well done!

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Really? Examples? What am I missing? Some extra commas here and there, but didn't bother me enough to not keep reading.
And a few missing commas, but that didn't bother me. I'd like to know about the grammar errors, too, gothicangel. Might learn something.

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Her website says that the subsidiary rights for this book are represented by Jane Dystel of Dystel and Goderich, so it looks like her success got someone's attention in the industry. Good for her!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Some authors who get agents still go the self-pub route when they are unable to get publisher interest. I've seen at least two authors on AW go that way. Don't know if this is one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.