PDA

View Full Version : Using a Pen Name

cwbrowning
04-21-2012, 06:38 PM
I apologize if this has been asked here already, but a search came up empty. I would like to publish under a pen name, CW Browning. However, I am using my real name on all my headers and contact information for the Query and Synopsis, etc. In researching synopsis formats, I came across something that says to use the pen name in the header for the synopsis and manuscript. Is this the standard? I just assumed that the pen name would come into play when it comes time to actually publish, and not on the submission package.

MrsBrommers
04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
I put my pen name in the header. My contact info is listed:

My Name
Writing as Pen Name

The writers I know who use pen names take this same approach.

HoneyBadger
04-21-2012, 07:50 PM
^That.

My query email address is en.fogg@email, my site is enfogg.com, my twitter handle is EnFogg, but my legal last name (a hyphenated one I don't actually use in real life; I'm like some sort of dutchess with all the last names I have) is in the header, and I sign queries as:

Erin Lastname-Lastname
writing as En Fogg

cwbrowning
04-21-2012, 08:34 PM
Awesome! Thanks guys! :) Wasn't sure how to handle it.

Brigid Barry
04-21-2012, 08:45 PM
I am using my real name on all my headers and contact information for the Query and Synopsis, etc..

This is correct - except on your cover page You will have something like this:

TITLE
by
Joe Yourname writing as CW Browning

[QUOTE=cwbrowning;7210667] I came across something that says to use the pen name in the header for the synopsis and manuscript. Is this the standard? QUOTE]

I came across information that told me my query (for a novel) was supposed to be a log line. Not all the information on the internet is correct, and this is one of those cases.

With the exception of your title page as above, you put your legal last name when you are told to put your name. There is a really awesome format site, but not only do I not have the address handy, I don't think I book marked it either.