California - San Diego Ninth Grade Science

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I'm sure there are some natives here. Is a specific Science course more likely in the ninth grade? I know the law doesn't specify order, but I'm betting there is a de facto one.

In NY there is.

Thanks in advance.

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

Raised in San Diego. Science was required in 9th grade. That was in the mid-'90s. A great deal has changed since then, but I don't think that has.

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

jaksen

Caped Codder
Registered
Reaction score
In MA, USA, across from a 17th century cemetery
Some states require three years of science for graduation. Just state that in your high school, in your town or city or district, it is required for Grade 9 students to take science. (As requirements can vary from state to city to town, etc.)

Where I taught, it was Earth Science for about 20 years; then Environmental Sciences and now it is Physical Science.

But you can make it anything you want, as nothing would seem unusual. The next town over from mine required Bio in Grade 9; the closest big city allowed students to choose between Bio, Earth Science or Physical Science. (In many states all students have to take at least one year of Biology, so make it Biology.)

You have a lot of leeway on this one.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
It's really going to depend on what the students plan is for after graduation. Are they trying to meet the minimum, or gain access to a college? If it's the minimum, then probably earth science in 9th, and Biology later. If college, could be Biology or Physics first, with a lab, followed by another advanced course, and perhaps a third - depending on their college requirements.

The Link I gave is from the California State Requirements.

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks folks. It seems there is no consensus about which course would be most likely. The city lists all of the basic courses as 9-12 and the AP courses as 11-12. Guess I'll have to decide what works best.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I can tell you the 3 AP classes I took after freshman year, but I can't remember what it was I took in 9th grade. I want to say chemistry. It might have been bio.

Granada

Registered
Reaction score
mine was biology. that was in the late 90s

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
I think if your character is college bound, I'd make it biology. If they are just headed for high school graduation - maybe struggling a bit - Physical Science, then Biology and they've met the minimum requirements.