Favorite Author(s) & Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puddle Jumper

Who is your Christian favorite author(s) in both Non-Fiction and Fiction categories?

What are some of your favorite books in both categories?

My favorite authors:
Non-Fiction, I really like Max Lucado.

Fiction, I really like Frank E. Perretti and Dee Henderson.

My favorite books:
By Lucado - "In the Grip of Grace"
I also really like "A Shepherd Looks at Psalm 23" by Phillip Keller
"God Chasers" by Tommy Tenney is also really good.

By Frank E. Perretti - "This Present Darkness"
By Dee Henderson - The O'Malley Series - My favorite in the series is "The Truth Seeker."
I also really like "The Chronicles of Narnia" by C.S. Lewis

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Fiction: Everything by Dee Henderson. Enjoy fiction by Robin Lee Hatcher, Deb Raney and my fave right now is Karen Kingsbury. Francine Rivers.

"The Bema" by Tim Stevenson

Non fiction: Beth Moore, CS Lewis, Max Lucado, Cecil Murphy, Chuck Colson.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Fiction: Tracy Groot, Frank Perretti, Bodie & Brock Thoene

Non: John Dominic Crossan

Books:

Groot: The Brother's Keeper
Peretti: This Present Darkness, Piercing the Darkness (NOT The Oath or Monster -- snoozed through both -- sorry, Frank!)

the Thoenes: Their AD series: First Light, Second Touch, etc. LOVE 'em! Have read all 4 (all they've written so far) in under 48 hours each.

Crossan: Jesus A Revolutionary Bio, Excavating Jesus (still working through the latter). I may not agree with everything he says, but he is incredibly well-researched, passionate, and intelligent. Saw him speak once. Fascinating.

- the Lily

Odaley

Nonfiction: Philip Yancy

Fiction: Ann Tatlock, Tricia Goyer, Karen Kingsbury

Edgarallenwannabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinlucia.net
Not yet...interested...but wary, all the same.

Favorite Writers/books:

Stephen King: Dark Tower Series, IT, The Stand, The Talisman
Dean Koontz: Everything!

Frank Peretti: The Visitation
Ted Dekker: Showdown

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Fiction: CSLewis, (Narnia series)
(My tastes in fiction are pretty limited, I guess :eek:.)

Non-fiction: I like the classics, even the obscure stuff, and many of my favorites are books written by the Christian mystics, early church fathers, Christian reformers, etc. A complete list of all those favorites would probably bore the socks off you, but some favorites include A Testament of Devotion (Thomas Kelly), Christian Perfection (Fenelon), Sacrament of the Present Moment (de Caussade), Sin and Temptation (John Owen), The Christian in Complete Armor (William Gurnall), The Two Covenants (Andrew Murray), Mysticism (and later writings) by Evelyn Underhill, The Courage to Be, and The New Being (Paul Tillich), Guilt & Grace (Paul Tournier) as well as books by Henri Nouwen, C.S.Lewis, and John Piper.

silentpoet

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Just limited to Christian writers:
Fiction, Stephen Lawhead and maybe CS Lewis.
Nonfiction: CS Lewis by a large margin.

I don't like a lot of the current popular(IE Max Lucado types). Alot of it is too sunshine up your skirt type writing. Not saying it is all bad, I just don't read much of it. I have tons of the stuff, but it is not my favorite reading material. I get more from reading the Bible and writing devotionals. It may just be because of the unique view I have of life.

ldumont999

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.louisedumont.com
My Favorites

I haven't been posting much lately because I've got a few tight deadlines. When I took a moment to check out the topics I could not resist posting to this. I have so little time to read - and that is bad. When I don't read, my writing suffers as well.

Here are my favorite Fiction authors.

Brandilyn Collins - her current Hidden Faces Series (Brink of Death, Stain of Guilt, Dead of Night, Web of Lies) is amazing.

John Robinson - Joe Box Mysteries are facinating. They show the real struggles of man who came to Christ later in life and who struggles with the every day issues of believer in nasty world. Great writing (BTW, John is on this list).

Nonfiction
Nancy Anderson wrote, Avoiding the Greener Grass Syndrome. Seriously good book - and an amazing young woman as well.

Fiction & Nonfiction
I love nearly everything by James Scott Bell. He's an amazing writer. Writers on Writing is a wonderful book that includes a great deal of his wisdom.

Gravity

Seen 'em come, seen 'em go
Registered
Reaction score
Once you've heard the truth, everything else is ju
ldumont999 said:
I haven't been posting much lately because I've got a few tight deadlines. When I took a moment to check out the topics I could not resist posting to this. I have so little time to read - and that is bad. When I don't read, my writing suffers as well.

Here are my favorite Fiction authors.

Brandilyn Collins - her current Hidden Faces Series (Brink of Death, Stain of Guilt, Dead of Night, Web of Lies) is amazing.

John Robinson - Joe Box Mysteries are facinating. They show the real struggles of man who came to Christ later in life and who struggles with the every day issues of believer in nasty world. Great writing (BTW, John is on this list).

Nonfiction
Nancy Anderson wrote, Avoiding the Greener Grass Syndrome. Seriously good book - and an amazing young woman as well.

Fiction & Nonfiction
I love nearly everything by James Scott Bell. He's an amazing writer. Writers on Writing is a wonderful book that includes a great deal of his wisdom.

Thanks Louise! That's mighty kind. And I'll pass your kudos along to Jim Bell. Jim's a great pal, and terrific mentor. Thanks again.

John

PS: the next Joe Box book, To Skin a Cat, will be out in October!

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Fiction: C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton
Non-fiction: C.S. Lewis, G.K. Chesterton

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Edgarallenwannabe said:
Not yet...interested...but wary, all the same.

Well I did read "Christ the Lord" a few weeks ago--forgot to post about it. It was okay--I wasn't sure what to expect so I don't know if I was disappointed or not. :Shrug:

One thing the story did do well was make me appreciate the time and country I live in.

Edgarallenwannabe

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinlucia.net
Someday I'll get around to reading it. I've not read much of Rice's work; I just never really developed a taste for it. It's interesting to see her put all of her dark vampire/gothic work behind her and have such an abrupt about face.

I'll get to it sometime in the middle of grad school, day job grading middle school essays about "My Dog Skippy", being a new daddy, and my own writing project. :sleepy:

www.kevinlucia.net

Last edited:

InspiredWriter

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so there are some really great Christian authors and books out there. I will add my favorites to the list:

Nonfiction:

9 Things you Simply Must Do by Henry Cloud
Abba's Child by Brennan Manning
Telling Secrets by Frederick Buechner
No Small Miracles by Chaplain Norris Burkes (coming out 4/15, I just reviewed it for www.writers-block.info)

Fiction:

Eventide by Cindy Martinusen
The Chosen by Chaim Potok
The Promise by Chaim Potok
My Name is Asher Lev by Chaim Potok
The Gift of Asher Lev by Chaim Potok

This list could go on and on...too many books, too little time!

Elizabeth M. Thompson
www.Writers-Block.info

HoosierCowgirl

Registered
Reaction score
Fiction -- Old favorite, C.S. Lewis (of course!) New favorite, Walt Wangerin. Just read "Jesus" and really enjoyed it.

Nonfiction -- I've been reading a lot of books on writing. James Scott Bell has one on plot and structure that I really liked (and realized why all my projects sag in the middle like a hammock!) and Vinita Wright Hampton has one on creativity and spirituality (not just for writers -- would apply to other arts, too, I'd think -- "The Soul Tells a Story."

Speaking of stories -- I also dig "Storey's Guide to ..." (fill in the blank) almost any kind of poultry and backyard livestock. But that's just me! :):

ann

Betty W01

Empress of Cyberworld
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
some of my favorites

If you're just talking Christian:

Fiction - anything by Dee Henderson; Francine Rivers' The Red Thread; John Robinson's Joe Box series; Tricia Goyer; GK Chesterton; Dorothy L. Sayers; Sally Wright; Jane Kirkpatrick; Earlene Fowler's Beni Harper mystery series.

Poets: Annie Flint Johnson; Joseph Bayly; Madeleine L'Engle

Non-Fiction: Philip Yancey [his Disappointment With God and Where Is God When It Hurts ought to be required reading for all Christians]; Madeleine L'Engle [especially liked Walking On Water and Glimpses of Grace]; Elisabeth Elliott; Beth Moore [currently doing one of her Bible studies for the second time and have done five others already - I don't always agree with her, but she does make me think]; C. S. Lewis.

Some secular writers I like: Mercedes Lackey; Agatha Christie; John Scalzi; John Ringo; Anne McCaffrey; Elizabeth Peters; Dorothy Gilman; P.G Wodehouse, Kathleen Dean Moore; Frank Baron; Jenna Glatzer; Moira Allen; Suzanne Brockmann; Marcia Yudkin; Andrew Clements; Margaret Peterson Haddix; Georgette Heyer; Elisabeth Mansfield; Elaine Flinn; Liza Cody; Aaron Elkins.... well, as you can see, I read a lot.

Gotta go get ready for class. TTFN...

Bigbunny

Registered
Reaction score
I have to confess that I don't read much in the way on non-fiction, except for the Bible of course.

As for fiction:
Francine Rivers, I love her work. I do, however, wish she'd start writing full-length novels again.

Kristin Billerbeck. I recently discovered that I like chick-lit...a lot.

Robin Bayne

~writes for Him~
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbayne.com
Bigbunny said:
Kristin Billerbeck. I recently discovered that I like chick-lit...a lot.

Yep, her books are fun and she's a real nice lady, too.
smile.gif

I just began reading Dee Henderson's newest suspense--The Witness.

Status
Not open for further replies.