PDA

View Full Version : Red flags in book contracts--esp need to connect w book editor

writtenoutloud
04-20-2012, 06:43 PM
I'm doing a story on what writers should know about book contracts. Say a writer has "gotten a deal" and has the contract in hand. What are the red flags when it comes to book contracts? What types of clauses should they watch out for--and why? I want to hear from a published author, maybe who got snarled in a bad deal or worked out a good one. Also need to hear from someone (acquisitions editor, book editor) who works at a publishing company. The goal is not to give legal advice, but to educate writers on what makes a good or bad book contract. Email a short statement with your "red flag" or suggestion, and your contact information.

shadowwalker
04-20-2012, 06:57 PM
May want to check out Writers Beware blog:

http://accrispin.blogspot.com/2012/03/publishing-industry-terms-and-contracts.html

Cath
04-21-2012, 05:06 AM
Kristen, your only two posts have been in this forum asking for 'submissions' to help your story. Are you looking for actual submissions or someone to answer questions for research, because it's not entirely clear.

I've edited your email address out of the post. If you're looking for a business relationship, post in the paying or unpaid markets parts of the forum.

Old Hack
04-21-2012, 10:08 AM
There are all sorts of red flags which authors should look out for, and if you don't know what they are, what qualifies you to write an article about it?

writtenoutloud
04-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Hey Cath,
Thanks. I am looking to connect with someone to interview who could give me quotes for a story.

Old Hack,

I'm a journalist and an author--more than qualified to write the piece. But I can't just rant off what I think for this one, I need sources. It's a journalism thing.

Cathy C
04-23-2012, 10:03 PM
I do workshops at writer conventions on this issue. I'd be happy to answer questions, depending on where the information will appear. What publication are you shooting for with the topic? I don't want to make my workshop irrevelant by getting everything out there online for free. ;)