PDA

View Full Version : Pity Party

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 08:54 AM
I'm sick. So sick that Anthony has taken refuge at his parents' house, leaving me by my lonesome to guzzle Airborne fizzy drinks and frighten my cat with my new sounds-like-I'm-strangling voice. So far it's all in my throat, so I don't feel terrible, just mildly awful, but I still want some pity. Can we have a pity party as a post-holiday party? After all, I got sick because someone brought germs to the Christmas party. (Someone always does that.)

My-Immortal
12-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Jenna, I hope you feel better soon. It must be something going around - my wife is coming down with some sort of cold too. Darn people coming to Christmas parties with colds....<sigh>.

Take care of yourself....and hopefully you'll start feeling better soon.

SpookyWriter
12-29-2005, 08:58 AM
Hey I'm sick too! I've had the chills, and barfed like forever yesterday, stayed in bed quite a bit. I hope you'll feel better soon. I know I am just miserable. Do you have the flu? I am all acky and yuck! My son went to visit mom and he too is sick. So we must have caught the bug at the same time.

Get better!

Jon

Dawno
12-29-2005, 08:59 AM
I'm not sick but my SO is - he went to the doctor today and has one full blown (the Dr. said "ICK!" - seriously) ear infection and one about half way there, bronchitis and a throat infection. We have tickets for a flight to SoCal to see my daughter for our late Christmas but now he can't go. :( So, I'll join your party and even bring some nice Hall's Cherry Eucalyptus drops for ya.

Puddle Jumper
12-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I would gladly take it for you. I had a bad day and would love to not have to go to work for the rest of the week.

brokenfingers
12-29-2005, 09:04 AM
Awwww, poor widdle Jenna. Hope you feel better :)

If it's any consolation, I feel great.

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 09:15 AM
Blech! Jon! That's my worst nightmare. I'm emetophobic (terrified of throwing up). Haven't done so since I was about 14. Cannot imagine worse torment. Would rather have my hands chopped off.

I don't know what it is. Probably the start of bronchitis, which is what my soon-to-be brother-in-law had and passed to my brother, who I hung around with on Christmas (forgetting he was sick because he was medicated and not sounding awful). My throat's all swollen and I have laryngitis and choking feelings, but no cough yet. Usually that's the way it starts with me, though. First the throat, then the lungs.

On the plus side, though, I just found out that we got a one-month extension on the book I've been struggling to write by deadline. I didn't ask for the extension; I think the editor just offered it to my client because she's backlogged with other books. That's good news, 'cause I don't feel like working today at all. And was wondering how I was going to do the two interviews I need to do if I have no voice.

SpookyWriter
12-29-2005, 09:24 AM
Hey Jenna, but you have to get well by Jan 6th! I so feel for you at the moment. If it wasn't for the booze I be more miserable. I have a short story I was finishing (in share your work), reviewed three writers work, trying to polish my first novel, finish my second, and I have another two short stories I want to send out next week....errr....isn't this so much fun!

Do try to get lots of rest, soups and crackers, and don't talk!

Bye,

Jon

unthoughtknown
12-29-2005, 09:25 AM
Jenna, chicken soup yeah?

http://static.flickr.com/22/33913869_028c7eb084.jpg

Puddle Jumper
12-29-2005, 09:29 AM
I've never seen chicken soup with that much chicken before! Trade the carrots for celery and add old fashion noodles and I'll take a gallon! :)

SpookyWriter
12-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Oh great, now I want to puke again....

September skies
12-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Ohhh....poor Jenna. Hope you get better soon. Yes, something definitely going around - each one of my kids had it one by one (they couldn't get it all at once) and I had it somewhere in the middle. Now, hubby has. Yucky yuck.
I found Wor Won Ton Soup did wonders for me. Can I send you some?

Puddle Jumper
12-29-2005, 09:31 AM
Oh great, now I want to puke again....
Two Words: Pepto Bismal :)

SpookyWriter
12-29-2005, 09:33 AM
"Two Words: Pepto Bismal http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif"

Or for us Texicans Peptol Dismal...

:banana:

clintl
12-29-2005, 09:42 AM
I hope you're feeling better soon, Jenna.

maestrowork
12-29-2005, 09:59 AM
Chicken soup is indeed good for the body and the soul (my bug soup is not bad either, but no one is buying...) When I was sick while in California in October (I lost about 5-6 pounds just from that nasty flu), I ate nothing but chicken soup.

Jenna babie, get well soon! I hope Anthony is pampering you. Rest and drink lots of water and rest!

mkcbunny
12-29-2005, 10:26 AM
Rest. Don't try to do too much. Drink that soup. Get better.

blisswriter
12-29-2005, 12:08 PM
Yes Jenna, do feel better soon. Being sick sucks unless you have someone waiting on you hand and foot. Even then it's not pleasant.

Chicken soup is indeed good for the body and the soul (my bug soup is not bad either, but no one is buying...) When I was sick while in California in October (I lost about 5-6 pounds just from that nasty flu), I ate nothing but chicken soup.

I caught something right around Thanksgiving. I could hardly get off the potty for a week or so. I lost a few pounds and was afraid to eat anything at all. (I thought I had food poisoning. My grandmother's food safety handling knowledge is not of this century.)

My-Immortal
12-29-2005, 12:15 PM
I caught something right around Thanksgiving. I could hardly get off the potty for a week or so. I lost a few pounds and was afraid to eat anything at all. (I thought I had food poisoning. My grandmother's food safety handling knowledge is not of this century.)

Back in August I thought I had some food poisoning or some sort of stomach flu - couldn't keep anything down - could barely leave the bathroom....

And then on the third day, when I truly felt like I was going to die, I found out I had a ruptured appendix.

I'm not saying any of you have the same problem - just be careful, get well soon and hopefully we'll all have a healthier and happier 2006. :)

Take care -

CampCreek
12-29-2005, 12:45 PM
Bless your heart! I feel for you, Jenna, I really do. I'm still trying to kick some kind of ick I've had for a week or better. *sigh*

Anthony's abandoned you?! Is he your hubby or SO? SHAME on him! I dearly hope you decide to go shopping, visiting friends, or whatever makes you happy next time he gets sick! :tongue

I hope you get well soon!

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 02:23 PM
Normally doting husband. But it gets worse. He just came home (spent a long time fixing his dad's computer). Brought me a little bottle of orange juice, but I couldn't open it (my hands are weak). I whispered to him, "Would you open this for me?"

"No," he said. "You touched it!"

And now he's asleep.

Cue the violins, please.

Carole
12-29-2005, 03:08 PM
Jenna, (even though you beat me...and I shall resent it for ever) I'll tell you...Whiskey was the best thing for my throat. Seriously. I made hot toddies with tea, whiskey, honey and lemon and it helped more than the codeine meds the doc gave me.

Hope you feel better soon, sweetie.

Carole
12-29-2005, 03:10 PM
Anthony's abandoned you?! Is he your hubby or SO? SHAME on him!
Ha! I was quarantined in the spare bedroom with a bottle of whiskey, an inhaler and a super-size can of lysol!!

Carole
12-29-2005, 03:16 PM
That's true, KTC. Despite my quarantine and the can of lysol, Marc still got sick.

astonwest
12-29-2005, 05:23 PM
Just tell Anthony to kiss you and get it over with...
He's going to end up sick regardless of precautions, so he might as well.

triceretops
12-29-2005, 05:36 PM
Oh, I'm sympathy sick now.

Tri

Simran
12-29-2005, 05:58 PM
Awww Jenna, so sorry to hear that you're not feeling well. Hope you get better real soon, so you can be back to your old :Sun: self again.

Elincoln
12-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Oh Jenna. I'm so sorry to hear about it. And shame on Anthony. Doesn't he know that people always catch bugs BEFORE the poor sufferer shows any symptoms? :Shrug:

I recommend a pot of strong tea with a bit of honey to soothe your throat, and LOTS of bedrest.

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 06:39 PM
Thanks! And Tri, what's wrong? Now that the orange juice is open, I can pass you some if you like. :)

rhymegirl
12-29-2005, 07:10 PM
I'm sorry you're sick, Jenna. I know what you mean though about people showing up at Christmas parties when they are either sick or just recovering from being sick. Every year, my husband's mother rents a hall for their annual Christmas party. (Lots of people!!!) Without fail there is someone attending who is sick or just got over being sick and passing their germs around by hugging and kissing and hand-shaking other unsuspecting victims! I USUALLY end up getting sick the day after one of these parties.

BUT NOT THIS YEAR!!

I have even considered wearing gloves to these parties and/or saying, "Oh, I can't hug you(touch you) because I am just getting over being sick." (even if it's not true) I guess I have germaphobia.

So anyway, Jenna, get some rest, drink some fluids, use one of those humidifiers, and of course, read some of our witty posts here on AW. Laughter is the best medicine!

SC Harrison
12-29-2005, 07:36 PM
Okay, here's the deal—eat as many eggs as you can stand, and then eat a few more. This may sound simple, but the protien in eggs is easily synthesized (I think that's the proper word) by most people.

This may sound a little nasty, but you can blend 3 or 4 egg whites into chocolate milk and it makes a pretty good malt.

Unique
12-29-2005, 07:57 PM
Okay, here's the deal—eat as many eggs as you can stand, and then eat a few more. This may sound simple, but the protien in eggs is easily synthesized (I think that's the proper word) by most people.

This may sound a little nasty, but you can blend 3 or 4 egg whites into chocolate milk and it makes a pretty good malt.

I don't get it. And you do what? Drink this egg mixture 12 hours before going out in public - so everyone stays away from you? Explanation Level Two, please.

Shadow_Ferret
12-29-2005, 08:25 PM
*comes in wearing a surgical mask and hoses the thread down with a can of Lysol*

Hope you get better soon.

*exits before he catches any germs*

Jaycinth
12-29-2005, 08:47 PM
But every time I mention it Carole teases me.
I'm a mom, so I am not allowed to get sick. ( If I do, they not only save up the housework for me, but they create extra.)

Go to the recipie thread. I posted a chicken soup recipie that works wonders, and a cold/chest cold remedy the kicks the beejeebers out of everything except Zicam ( Registered trademark and in my opinion...).

You will feel less bad in a day and great in 2 days. If you don't feel up to cooking...open a can of generic chicken soup and add the extra ingredients.

Hugs, hugs and more hugs!!!!!:Hug2:
( I ain't 'fraid o' no COLDS!!!!)

ChunkyC
12-29-2005, 08:53 PM
Awwww, poor Jenna! http://bestsmileys.com/sick/1.gif

I have been gifted with a cast-iron immune system, so I'll come over and hold your hand, my Queen. http://bestsmileys.com/medical/8.gif

awatkins
12-29-2005, 09:17 PM
Aaaggghhhh....I have the same thing, Jenna. Hit me yesterday and I know it came from our Christmas get-together. What a Christmas gift! Can I return it?? Feel better soon, Jenna. :)

Anybody want a hug?? I'm sure I'm not contagious! Bwahahah!

p.s. I have a bunch of interviews to do and unless this throat thing clears up, I won't be able to do them! I can't even understand what I'm saying myself.

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 09:48 PM
You got sympathy sick, too? Wow. This stinks. And I can't sleep. Okay, sick people (except Jon-- I'm still scared to death of getting the pukey thing), c'mon over and let's eat some eggs and chicken soup and drink some orange juice and watch a Buffy marathon together! I have a fresh roll of Airborne to pass around, too.

rtilryarms
12-29-2005, 09:56 PM
Get Well vibes arriving to your zone right about............................................. .................................................. .........................................NOW.

Spookster
12-29-2005, 09:57 PM
I hope you feel better. Throat infections are horrible. I was feeling under the weather a few weeks ago-- still not gone completely, darn these sinus infections-- and found that green tea with honey made me feel much better. I don't know if it's the tea or just the nastalgia of mom making my "magic tea" when I was little, but it sure did the trick. Aside from the annoyance of continually clogged nostrils, I have zip back in my step. Hehe. At least my rudolph nose matches the holidays.

And tell Anthony to expect a swift cyber-kick to the shin from me. Then cough a lot in his direction. Bwahaha.

Hoitjes
12-29-2005, 10:04 PM
yes I hope you feel better soon too:), and I agree with spookster at mine it's helping often too:)

Take care!

ChunkyC
12-29-2005, 10:13 PM
Here's a little something to cheer you up, Jenna. I know it's a few days late, but what the heck....

A Christmas song (http://www.newbie.com/Christmas/Hippo/hippo-for-christmas.mp3)

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 10:19 PM
Not kidding-- swear--

When I was in 1st grade, just before parent-teacher night, the teacher asked us to write a story about what we wanted for Christmas. I wrote-- and drew-- that all I wanted was a hippopotamus. The teacher put these stories up around the classroom and the parents went around reading them. Kids wanted Barbies, toy trucks, bikes...

My parents came home in stitches, telling me that without seeing my name, they knew immediately which story was mine. And that I was a very, very strange child.

DaveKuzminski
12-29-2005, 10:24 PM
Sure, tell me to join your mini group of professional miscreants. You never mentioned that you'd give me a cold. Bad Jenna! Bad, bad, bad.

ChunkyC
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
I wrote-- and drew-- that all I wanted was a hippopotamus.
No kidding! Wow. *cue Twilight Zone theme*

Every time I hear that tune, I can't help giggling. The phone/Internet company up here (Telus) has been using that tune for their Christmas advertizing campaign, that's what made me think of it. It's become hugely popular. People have been singing it on the street, it's hysterical.

Cabria
12-29-2005, 10:27 PM
Good wishes your way that you'll be feeling better soon Jenna.

My husband, Jeremy (my 5 yr. old) and I were at a neighbour's house on Tuesday by invite. There were a few people there. Anyway, we found out that the neigbours' four year old (one of a twin) was just recovering from stomach flu. Then we found out yesterday that the other twin just came down with it . Everyone at the party was essentially exposed. So now I'm here, waiting, prepared for Jeremy (who was in close contact with the children) to come down with it. Or myself or Greg for that matter. I know that these things are unavoidable but I really feel that the neigbours should have cancelled the party, knowing that the "bug" was present. It would have been my route to go but people don't always think the same way on things.

Anyway...get better Jenna! New Year's awaits! http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

Luv,
Debbie

JennaGlatzer
12-29-2005, 10:39 PM
UGH! Debbie, I am so with you on that. It's probably my biggest pet peeve: sick people who either insist they're not contagious, or just don't care that they are, and fling their germs at people. It's one thing if it's a little cold-- okay, no biggie-- but quite another if it's the flu.

That's one of the things I definitely don't miss about working in an office. It took all the strength in me not to kill my coworkers when they came in and announced things like, "I was up throwing up all night-- sorry I'm late." Stay home, you misguided hero!

And a kind of funny thing-- back when I was agoraphobic, it took everything I had to make it to see a therapist. My emetophobia was at its worst then, too (I was obsessed with studying my food to make sure it couldn't give me food poisoning, which meant I ate canned foods and potato chips for about 2 years). Anyway, I'm in the waiting room listening to my new therapist tell the secretary all about how her son vomited on her that morning, and how it was "coming out both ends," and...

Holy cow. I about bolted out of that office. I held my breath until I turned blue and secretly hated her very, very much.

Dave: you forgot rabid. Rabid mini group of professional miscreants. The cold is part of the initiation ritual. Sorry 'bout that.

DaveKuzminski
12-29-2005, 10:42 PM
Sorry. It's difficult to write when you're frothing. ;)

William Haskins
12-29-2005, 10:45 PM
hope you feel better soon, jenna.

Zonk
12-29-2005, 10:52 PM
The problem with colds is, if you don't take meds, it lasts a week; but if you do take the meds, it only lasts seven days...

A customer came in to the shop early this year looking for something to treat his 'flu symptoms, and told me it was so bad, "I thought I was ga dead, but then it got worser, and I was scared I was ga live."

So sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Lots of rest, drink your fluids, treat the symptoms. http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/smile.gif

I hate nausea, too. I'd rather have pain.

:D:D:D

DaveKuzminski
12-29-2005, 11:03 PM
Jenna, I couldn't find a working email, so left you a message in another topic, except you haven't revisited it lately. Regarding your latest book, is there a URL featuring it yet?

ChunkyC
12-29-2005, 11:12 PM
You just sit back and relax, Jenna. Let us help.

If it's the Celine book you're talking about, here's the page from Jenna's site, Dave:

http://www.jennaglatzer.com/celine_dion_for_keeps.htm

StoryG27
12-29-2005, 11:18 PM
I feel your pain Jenna. I have been sick since December 12th. I though I had a cold. Around the 17th, I was only getting sicker as each days passed and I was coughing and feverish and just achey all over.

It continued getting worse and by Christmas I could hardly move. EVERYTHING hurt, yet I was too busy and then too sick to go see a doctor. Finally, I am up and moving around again and though I'm still sick, I'm on the recovery side. I still have horrible coughing fits and congestion and mild aches, but as it turns out, a doc friend of ours said she's pretty sure I have pneumonia, and I'm lucky I started getting over it on my own and lucky to be on the recovery side instead in the hosptial barely alive (she was pretty upset that I didn't get in to see a health professional...go figure).

Anyway, I had my own pity party for a while when I was so sick I felt like I was dying. So now, I am more than ready to pity someone else at their party.

Alphabet
12-29-2005, 11:32 PM
Sympathies to all the less than well !! Jenna, this is probably a silly thing to say, but is there any chance that this phobia of being sick could be cured by a good bout of, ummm, being sick? (you say you've been scared of but not actually sick since 14) Just wondering - but to clarify, I'm so sure its the obvious suggestion so there must be some obvious reason why it wouldn't work and I'm only mentioning it from curiosity to learn more.

TemlynWriting
12-30-2005, 01:28 AM
Hiya Jenna! I just wanted to let you know that I e-mailed you something helpful about feeling better. :Hug2:

Susie
12-30-2005, 01:31 AM
Hi, Jenna,

Sure hope you're feeling better and your New Years will be great. Happy New Year everyone! :Hug2: Pamper yourself and hope you get lots of TLC.

SC Harrison
12-30-2005, 04:00 AM
I don't get it. And you do what? Drink this egg mixture 12 hours before going out in public - so everyone stays away from you? Explanation Level Two, please.

So that's why people have been avoiding me...

The increased intake of protein helps the body (more quickly) replace antibodies that are expended fighting whatever bacterial infection has entered your system. Even if you have a viral infection that antibodies can't defeat, it doesn't mean they don't try, leaving you more susceptible to bacteria from their depleted numbers. Animal proteins are (supposedly) the best source for this (i.e. meat, poultry, eggs, etc.).

If your situation worsens after this, there's this guy named Pavel...

DeniseK
12-30-2005, 04:12 AM
You've gotten so much good information, chicken soup and whiskey, that's the ticket.

Hope you are feeling better as I write this.

trumancoyote
12-30-2005, 04:17 AM
Whiner.

ChunkyC
12-30-2005, 04:29 AM
Whiner.
http://www.absolutewrite.com/forums/images/smilies/Emoterofl5.gif

CampCreek
12-30-2005, 05:08 AM
Well, that he does it to try not to get sick makes it a little bit easier to tolerate, but like others have said, he needs to just kiss you and get the inevitable over with. ;)

Man, I've got my guy trained. If he doesn't bring me chicken soup, chocolate and plenty of fluids while I'm sick, I leave him to his own devices when he is. *snicker*

Cabinscribe
12-30-2005, 09:03 AM
Hope you feel better!

Along with the chicken soup and whiskey, try some echinnacea.

Most important, get a lot of rest, and drink plenty of fluids (other than whiskey.)

I hope you are recovered in time to celebrate the New Year!

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2005, 01:55 PM
Thank you, all! KTC: Blech. I'm with you. I went to sleep not feeling so bad, but just woke up half an hour ago or so, and I feel worse. Maybe a shower will help.

(whine on) I so don't want to go to the doctor. I don't have health insurance and it'll probably cost $150 between the visit and the medicine, and I probably won't get better any faster anyway and I'll get to feel nauseated from the side effects of antibiotics on top of it and if they do one of those Q-tips down the throat thing, I'll kill them. (/whine off)

Alphabet: GAK! ACK! Lalalalalalala I can't hear you...

:D

(My then-therapist said the same thing. Even tried to get me to visualize it. Egads.)

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2005, 02:04 PM
Jenna, I couldn't find a working email, so left you a message in another topic, except you haven't revisited it lately. Regarding your latest book, is there a URL featuring it yet?

Hi Dave (love you), I searched around (love you) and didn't find the topic you were referring to (love you), but I presume you're asking about The Street-Smart Writer (love you). If so, that's at http://www.jennaglatzer.com/street-smart.htm. Hot off the printer! I just got my copies 2 days ago. Speaking of which, maybe it's time to change my sig line!

Unique
12-30-2005, 03:59 PM
If you ask the doctor or nurse very nicely, they often let you do your own 'GIANT Q-Tip down the throat'. Mine always do. :) It really cuts down on the gag reflex when you know it's coming...

Lady of Prose
12-30-2005, 04:33 PM
Okay, I'm like CC--I have a wonderful immune system. But I'm in dire need of a pity party. Can I come in, anyway?

Get better soon, Jenna!

Yeshanu
12-30-2005, 04:38 PM
I was doin' fine until yesterday. I just took a look at this thread, didn't post, mind you, just took a look...

Now I'm sick with a cold. Dang germs. I shoulda remembered that you can share viruses over the internet...

SC Harrison
12-30-2005, 06:02 PM
(whine on) I so don't want to go to the doctor. I don't have health insurance and it'll probably cost $150 between the visit and the medicine, and I probably won't get better any faster anyway and I'll get to feel nauseated from the side effects of antibiotics on top of it and if they do one of those Q-tips down the throat thing, I'll kill them. (/whine off)

This will probably get me in trouble with the doctor lovers, but:

I haven't been to the doctor in over ten years. I'll catch a bug once a year and it's usually gone in 2-3 days. I keep myself hydrated and I eat like crazy (even if I don't feel like it). Many of my friends get semi-annual check-ups and are taking meds to balance their cholesterol, thin their blood, whatever. They also make numerous sick visits a year, popping antibiotics like candy. I've tried to explain to them that antibiotics kill everything, even the symbiotic microorganisms that help in digestion.

My immune system may be a little different than the average person, as I did quite a bit of traveling in the Army. I caught dysentery in Africa and it almost killed me before my body was able to get it under control.

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2005, 06:13 PM
Personally, I think there's a happy medium between you and your friends. ;) I think regular checkups are a good thing since they can catch things early, like cancer, before it has a chance to get a foothold in your body. You wouldn't go ten years without taking your car to be serviced, would you?

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. :)

*runs out of the thread before the germs get him*

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2005, 06:22 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever gone for a "regular check-up." Maybe when I was a kid. What do they do at regular check-ups?

I haven't been to a doc in a long time. I think I may manage to retain that record this time around... I feel less lousy after my shower and my egg sandwich. :) (It IS moving into my lungs, though. As usual.)

Ruth, I'm sorry you had to join the pity party. I'm starting to think this thread is cursed.

DaveKuzminski
12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Jenna, yep, that's the one. Didn't want to announce the name until you were ready. I'll get a link in P&E later today.

JennaGlatzer
12-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Thank you, my excellent man! Have I mentioned you're looking particularly rabid today?

SC Harrison
12-30-2005, 07:10 PM
Personally, I think there's a happy medium between you and your friends. ;) I think regular checkups are a good thing since they can catch things early, like cancer, before it has a chance to get a foothold in your body. You wouldn't go ten years without taking your car to be serviced, would you?

Sorry, didn't mean to preach. :)

*runs out of the thread before the germs get him*

Thanks for reminding me about the car! It's about 200 miles past what's on the little sticker dealie.

You're right about the cancer thing, but the rest of the car analogy is a little off. The human body is self-supporting/sustaining. A reasonably proper diet and keeping stress levels at a minimum will allow your mind/body to manage itself well. Even (some) doctors will tell you, in most cases the best thing they can do for you is nothing at all. Granted, some people have deficiencies that require assistance from pharmaceuticals, but many of these deficiencies were originally caused by unnecessary (legal) drug use or improper diet/high toxin intake by mothers during pregnancy.

Okay, now I'm really going to sound like a kook. I take a multivitamin, Gingko Biloba (two thumbs up) and Fish Oil every day. I take a minimum dose of St. John's Wort every day to keep my stress down. I eat leafy greens and animal proteins, and at least twelve cups of coffee every day. I walk/hike daily, and ride my bicycle a few times a week. I'm 45 years old, 6'2" 190 lbs. I play tennis, basketball, baseball (the little hard one), golf, water and snow sports. I even played rugby this summer, but I'm trying to block that memory out. Every five years or so, I forget how bad it is and get suckered into a match, usually earning a black eye or cracked ribs (or both). Did I go to the doctor? I think you know the answer to that :)

Shadow_Ferret
12-30-2005, 07:29 PM
You know, I don't think I've ever gone for a "regular check-up." Maybe when I was a kid. What do they do at regular check-ups?

Well, being a guy, I wouldn't know what they do to you. Something about pap smears and breast exams and things.

We men get the rubber glove treatment.

And they take blood to make sure your cholesterol and other things are ok, and check your PSA levels (a prostate cancer exam, I believe).

And they make you cough.

I have to go regularly because my thyroid doesn't function properly and they have to monitor my meds.

And I take a multivitamin and a gram of Vitamin C. I used to megadose all my vitamins, but simply can't afford it any more.

So now I drink a couple brandies every night. ;)