RIP LEVON HELM, LONG LIVE THE BAND...

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
As reported in various newspapers and media outlets, the Drummer for the Band, Levon Helm has lost his fight with cancer.

From the Spinner website...

http://www.spinner.com/2012/04/19/levon-helm-dead-dies/

I will always remember his voice in such songs as Ophelia, The Night they Drove Old Dixie Down, as well as his skill at not only the drums but many other instruments as well.

As part of the Band, he was very much a driving force along with Dany Danko and Robie Robertson. It really is a shame he and Robertson came to disagreements thus ending the Band...

If anyone has not seen the Martin Scorsese film, The Last Walt, you should find and watch it. It was a film not only about the Band, but included some of the biggest names in rock and roll from that area. The songs make you want to sing along.

RIP Levon...

John G Nelson

Author of Against Nature
Registered
Reaction score
Website
johngnelson.blogspot.com
Levon will be missed. I played my CD soundtrack from the Last Waltz this weekend. My nephew has a college radio station and he did a tribute this weekend. He played (at my behest) "It makes no difference." The Band was a great band! Rick Danko, Levon Helm, and Richad Manuel are gone, but their music lives on!

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
Last Waltz is absolutely amazing - Ophelia live is fantastic.

RIP Levon

frosteeman

A Writing Mochine
Registered
Reaction score
My Levon

Yes Levon will be missed. I grew up in the same town as Levon. I knew him personally and had some very special times with him and his little brother Wheeler whenever he would sneak into town. He always had to sneak in to see his family cause everyone wanted a piece of him when he came visiting. What a great person. His death has affected me greatly. I'm positive about one thing. Heaven's band will have one fantastic drummer and mandolin picker.

JeffRen

Registered
Reaction score
That's awesome that you knew him.

I consider The Band to be one of the best American classic rock bands - right up there with CCR. Very underrated group :(