PDA

View Full Version : Psalms 15 Reference Name

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-20-2012, 01:18 AM
I've been spending a lot of time trying to come up with a name for a religious compound. It is built when the United States is in the midst of a violent war and the religious group in question built the compound in a secluded place to keep the government's increasing interference out of their lives.

I wanted to use a Biblical reference to name it, but then from my Catholic school days, I remembered Psalms 15.

1 LORD, who may dwell in your sacred tent?
Who may live on your holy mountain?
2 The one whose walk is blameless,
who does what is righteous,
who speaks the truth from their heart;
3 whose tongue utters no slander,
who does no wrong to a neighbor,
and casts no slur on others;
4 who despises a vile person
but honors those who fear the LORD;
who keeps an oath even when it hurts,
and does not change their mind;
5 who lends money to the poor without interest;
who does not accept a bribe against the innocent. Whoever does these things
will never be shaken.

Is there any way I can reference this in the name of a compound, or is there another verse I can reference? I'm hoping someone who's more familiar with the Bible than me might be able to help.

Calla Lily
04-20-2012, 02:34 AM
spy, what are you asking? If "Sacred Tent" will be a good name for a compound? Sounds like it to me. Just Google it to make sure there already isn't one or more in existence.

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-20-2012, 04:03 AM
Sorry, maybe I just wasn't clear enough. I need to name a religious compound for my story (like Jonestown for People's Temple, Mount Carmel for the Branch Davidians, Strong City for the Wayne Bent group). I want my compounds name to be Biblical and have some sort of reference to a scripture about sanctuary. I thought Psalm 15 might be a good thing to reference, but I'm not sure how to go about doing that. Can anyone here think of a way to do that, or is there another verse about sanctuary that could be more easily reference.

I suppose I'm just asking for imput from people more well-versed in the Bible than me.

Calla Lily
04-20-2012, 04:11 AM
"Sanctuary" search (http://www.biblegateway.com/quicksearch/?quicksearch=sanctuary&qs_version=NIV)from BibleGateway.

This site is teh awesome. Every translation you can imagine and the search function is terrific. I'm not a Bible scholar, but I use this site all the time for research.

Medievalist
04-20-2012, 04:33 AM
Gethsemene

Or one of the six traditional cities of refuge:

Golan, Ramoth, Bosor, (east of the Jordan River) Kedesh, Shechem, and Hebron on the opposite shore.

Calla Lily
04-20-2012, 04:40 AM
Medi, you humble me on so many levels.

Williebee
04-20-2012, 04:52 AM
Or, keep it simple: "Camp Sacred"
Campers or Disciples would work with it.

Roger J Carlson
04-23-2012, 06:02 PM
How about "Still Waters" from the Psalm 23:2b "...he leadeth me beside the still waters."

Which is a metaphor for how the shepard brings the sheep to a safe place to drink.

One advantage is that Psalm 23 is one of the most recognized passages in the Bible. You could also tie it in with the phrase: Still waters run deep.

semmie
06-10-2012, 06:04 PM
Personally? If it were my writing, I would go a different route altogether. I would look at the Hebrew words and find a transliteration that sounded appropriate. For instance, from Psalm 15:6,

He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

The Hebrew words are: 'asah 'owlam mowt.

Mote Olam may seem a random and odd name to any passerby, but to those who share faith, it would mean something--a reminder of the promise that they would "never be shaken."

Just two pennies.

Good luck!

Pax,
semmie

Dancre
06-13-2012, 01:54 AM
OOO!!! I like that!! That is awesome.

Personally? If it were my writing, I would go a different route altogether. I would look at the Hebrew words and find a transliteration that sounded appropriate. For instance, from Psalm 15:6,

He that doeth these things shall never be moved.

The Hebrew words are: 'asah 'owlam mowt.

Mote Olam may seem a random and odd name to any passerby, but to those who share faith, it would mean something--a reminder of the promise that they would "never be shaken."

Just two pennies.

Good luck!

Pax,
semmie

Fabor
07-04-2012, 02:02 AM
This was a great read. It was Great to see the helpfulness of so many. Glad your needs were met.

silverahra
07-05-2012, 08:36 AM
If you want to use this piece of scripture, I think the best reference you could use from it is some form of "Holy Mountain" since verses 2 - 4 answer the question of verse 1 - Who can live on God's Holy Mountain...perhaps use the Greek or Hebrew words for Holy Mountain?