Building a picture frame

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
My sister somehow acquired a giant painting (canvas) which is a non-standard size, then decided she couldn't display it unless it was framed. So I got nominated to build a frame for it. Went to Lowes and bought some wood corner moldings and some trim that's like half a piece of rope and some wood glue and an angle clamp. I still probably don't have the proper equipment to make neat angled cuts and glue the corners together. I'm just a bit nervous I'll screw up and waste time and materials, so I figured I'd ask for tips beforehand, if you all have any to share.

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
2 words:

Miter Box

601939_front200.jpg

plastic, cheap.

*saw not included*

=)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All my framing projects start with a 50% off coupon so Im no help. Sounds fun though :)

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Another two words: strip lath.

The kind of long, thin wooden strips that are 2"x.25" in the States, usually sold in wood supply stores. You don't even need a miter box, just a hacksaw, a hammer, some sandpaper, and some little nails.

Trim and sand the top and bottom strips even with the sides, hammer them in place. Measure (or eyeball) the two side strips, then hammer them in place. The sides will appear to rise flush to the top, hiding the top seam. You can get really fancy and paint or stain the wood beforehand.

This is how we 'framed' our work in art school, when a real frame made no economic sense. Any buyers could then take the canvas to a framer for the professional version.