Did you grow up in the 1950s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Since I’ve been out of school for a month, I have too much time on my hands.

I started a novel today, based on a fictional short story I wrote a few months ago, but my freelance editor thought that I should have extended it into a full fledge novel (even though I think she’s getting ahead of herself).

Anyway, the story starts in 1953 (between May and June). Dwight D. Eisenhower is in office, The Jack Benny Show is picking up speed, color T.V. is transmitted, and I Love Lucy is coming into living rooms.

I just took a U.S. History class, so I’m pretty familiar with the politics of the time: red scare, communism, the Rosenberg trial and execution for selling secrets to the Soviets, etc.. But I’m more interested in the common, everyday life.

I’m a product of the 70s, so you can see the kind of bind that I’m in. My main character is a 46-year-old woman who has been married for 24 years. She’s a homemaker, but doesn’t have any children (because she never did want to raise children in the city), she obsesses over the wrinkles on her face, nags her husband, but has a good relationship nonetheless. She wants to keep up with the Jones’s and get all the modern conveniences and luxuries. But one day, on a routine trip to the grocery store, her life is changed forever.

What do you remember about the 1950s?

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Did you see, or can you get, the movie Pleasantville?

In the U.S. of the 1950s, just to rattle off a few things, women doctors were unusual. Racism and sexism were accepted in wider circles than they are now. The civil rights movement hadn't started. Girls took compulsory home economics in school; boys took wood or metal shop. People married young; having three children was popular among the middle class. Your character would have drawn disapproval from relatives and neighbors for choosing not to have children. Virginity at marriage was important, at least for women. Advertising reflected a preoccupation with constant forward motion, literally and figuratively. Cars were always faster and more powerful than last year's, and society was going to advance to unbelievable heights because scientists were figuring everything out.

Got to go. My husband says dinner's ready.

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't had the chance to see the movie Pleasantville. I know what it is, and I have Netflix (DVD rentals sent to my home for a monthly fee), so I'll get right on it.

You have been a big help. I was pretty sure women got married young, and did a smidgen of research to get my story going, but I hadn't factored in the pressure from family. :) Her husband (who's loosely based on my husband) did remind her of why she didn't want to have children.

She's (I haven't named her yet, I guess I better get on the naming game) preoccupied with the daily newspaper because she really doesn't have a life, which later on will provide a premise of why she finds herself in the situation she'll be in.

Her husband's name is Thomas. Is this a good name for the 50s?

Editted to add: just checked, Thomas was a popular name in the 50s.

And also, were coffee makers [machines] available?

(I'm on page two of my story so far)

p.s.

The short version of my story quickly jumped into things, so I didn't have to worry about lifestyle too much.

Last edited:

September skies

cloud watching
Registered
Reaction score
under my September Skies in sunny California
Website
www.estheravila.com
reph said:
Got to go. My husband says dinner's ready.

LOL - Ok, that's not 5os at all.

I wasn't born until 1958 but I remember getting color television for the first time - I didn't realize it had come out in the 50s. (I guess only the very elite had the color televisions) I remember where I was when JFK was shot and watching the funeral on television in black and white. (I was 5 years old)

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Yeh, my mom was born around 1956, otherwise, I'd ask her. :idea:

Cabinscribe

Often ignored by muses
Registered
Reaction score
I just missed the 50's, because I was born in 1960 ....

I wonder whether it would help you if you watched some 50's TV shows, or looked through some magazines or newspapers from that era.

This may help you get some ideas for things from that era that are more subtle than political issues or gender roles that could help make your book more realistic.

For example, I'm thinking about simple things like cooking dinner; no microwaves - I think TV dinners might have just come out in the 50's. I don't think pantyhose had been invented yet; at least I don't think it was a common item. No blow dryers. It was unusual for women to wear pants. The Birth Control Pill wasn't around. In general, no one would think of going to a movie or grocery store wearing sweatpants. People could smoke in public.

If your protagonist is 46, she would have lived through the Depression. Maybe this could be used as background info to describe her personality.

Your premise has really got me thinking, to the point where I wish I was writing something like this! Then again, I thought, nahhhh ... I'll just wait until you write it, then I'll buy a copy and read it!

Good luck!

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the help.

I'm just going through my history class notes; the class ended about three weeks ago (thank you! wheww), and we did go over a few social issues (I remember covering the T.V. dinners).

I just thought, if my character was 46 yrs old in 1953, that means she was born in 1904, and her husband is around the same age, so I have to change his name (I've got a few picked out).

My characters live in New York City, and next week, which is when school starts back up, I will be taking a "History of New York" class. I take all these offbeat classes to have something to write about, even though my major is journalism.

I live in New York City, but I'm a transplant (been here for three years).

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Plenty of men were named Thomas at that time.

To continue: Phones were black and were attached to the wall. The phone company owned them. Depending on where you lived, your number might have three or four digits. If it had seven characters, the first two were letters, which were the first two letters of the name of your exchange. Party lines, cheaper than private lines, were common in the countryside. Long-distance calls were expensive. People kept in touch with distant friends and relatives by writing letters. First-class postage was three cents. There were no ZIP codes. Large cities had postal zones, like "New York 2, New York." The two-letter state abbreviations used with ZIP codes didn't exist.

Cities had more newspapers than now. Very few people ran for exercise or went to gyms. Most women wore house dresses at home. In some places, at least, they wore hats when they went out. You ate meat three times a day if you could afford it; nobody worried about cholesterol (a correlation between heart disease and consumption of animal fat was just being discovered). Sunlight was good for you. People smoked everywhere. Gays were closeted. There weren't so many ethnic restaurants. The beatniks were just getting started. An all-electric kitchen was the height of modernity. Beer and soft drinks came in bottles.

The People's Chronology, by James Trager, is a good source for answers to "When did _____ start?" I didn't find anything about the coffee maker. I think percolators were common at that time. I did learn that sliced bread appeared in 1930; instant coffee entered civilian life after World War II, having begun in K rations; and Swanson introduced TV dinners in 1954.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
She might have gotten her first TV in 1955. There would have been only one channel. It would have started at noon. Before that, there would have been only a test pattern. Before the end of the decade, there might have been three channels--four, if you count PBS. That required a converter. Most folks didn't have one. Friday night fights were big. So was Milton Berle.

A 40ish woman in the early 50s would have been a child, or a young adult of the depression. That would have had a great impact on her life. She would have saved everything. She would cut her hamburgers with bread crumbs to "stretch the meat." She would do her own canning. She would make many of her own clothes, and some of her husband's. There would be no butter. Oleo-margarine was the norm. More than likely, her parents were farmers.

Her husband would make all the decisions. They would live where he wanted to live. They would buy the car he wanted to buy (only one--and she wouldn't drive it) and she would vote the way he voted. They would go for Sunday drives.

She would have lived through three wars--I, II and Korea. She would believe war was normal. She would hate communists. She would prod her husband to build that fallout shelter in the back yard.

She would still be in control because, after all, women always are.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Hannah said:
I just thought, if my character was 46 yrs old in 1953, that means she was born in 1904....

Some books on names have charts showing the most popular boys' and girls' names by birth year, but the one I looked at gave names in England and Wales, not the U.S.

American women of the generation you're looking at might have had names that have since gone out of style – Maud, Lucille, Blanche, Ethel, Mildred, Gertrude. But many had perennial favorites like Mary and Elizabeth. A surprising number of women in any generation also had unusual names.

You can get a lot of old popular culture from Google, too.

reph

Fig of authority
Registered
Reaction score
Haggis said:
She might have gotten her first TV in 1955. There would have been only one channel. It would have started at noon....

She would have saved everything. She would cut her hamburgers with bread crumbs to "stretch the meat." She would do her own canning. She would make many of her own clothes, and some of her husband's. There would be no butter. Oleo-margarine was the norm.Her husband would make all the decisions. They would live where he wanted to live. They would buy the car he wanted to buy (only one--and she wouldn't drive it) and she would vote the way he voted....
Wait a minute, now. Many households had TVs before 1955, even ones that were far from rich. (Extra fact: some people believed you had to darken the room while watching TV, or you'd hurt your eyes.) There were three networks and three corresponding channels in the early '50s. (Extra fact: much daytime programming was local.) Not everyone who lived through the Depression came out frugal. Many women did not can or sew. There was butter. My mother drove. (This wasn't unusual.) She voted the way she wanted to. (I know nothing about other women's voting habits.)

Another thing. There were national magazines with huge circulations: Life, Look, Collier's, The Saturday Evening Post. People read the same magazines and saw the same TV shows. You could count on being able to talk about last night's programs with neighbors or workmates. These days, media offerings are so numerous you don't know what anyone else watched.

And if your character turns on the TV, don't have her pick up the remote. There wasn't one. She had to walk up to the set and turn a knob clockwise until it clicked "on" and keep turning until the sound reached the desired volume. In a few seconds, the TV would warm up enough to come on.

In fact, pushbuttons have replaced rotary controls on a lot of things.

Last edited:

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
I wanted to call her "Helen", but my husband likes "Rose". Her husband's name is "Thomas".

What'cha think? :flag:

Boy, I'm going to have to put all of these facts into some notes. :)

Thanks

TwentyFour

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
If she is in her forties she wont be into trends. My first novel-which I am still working on is set in 1959 and in my hometown. I had to research the fifties, hot rods, moonshine, ridgerunners(i live in the south), and trends since most of my characters are teens. I also had to research my town and what the hang outs were. The cars were the worst...I don't understand old hot rods and how to supe them up...more or less how to supe them up before 1959! That took alot of yahoo chat rooms and car sites!

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Also the channels turned off at around 11 pm with a mozart symphony or star spangled banner.

TwentyFour

Registered
Reaction score
Drive ins were a big deal...and tv dinners

johnnysannie

Banned
Reaction score
Website
leeannsontheimermurphywriterauthor.blogspot.com
A note about color television -

it would not have been around as early as '53. In fact, in 1953, many Americans were just starting to get television in their homes for the first time.

In 1959, one of the networks launched the first all color line-up of shows in the Fall. I can't remember which one but one of the shows was "Bonanza".

I'm one of the tail end baby boomers and we did not get color television until about 1967. My grandparents had it a few years before that but not more than one or two.

Until about 1970, TV Guide did not desiginate shows as BW for black and white but C for Color.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Boy, what a thread to out us guys. I remember hoola hoops, yo-yos, slip and slides, and the girls were going nuts over Wink Martindale. I also remember Sting Ray bicycles were a hot ticket. And drive-in theaters where Rodan, Godzilla, and the Blob ruled the day. The biggest thing to hit was Disneyland in 1955, and I went on the second grand day opening ceremony as a tiny tot, and don't even remember it. Boy Scouts was a very big thing back then, and not as shunned as it is today.

P.S. Either you were a surfer or a hodad or grimmie. Percell and Convers tennis shoes were hot. Barbie too, eh?

Tri

Last edited:

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Most families had rotary phones provided by the phone company. It wasn't until the late fifties that Ma Bell began offering the wall phones that businesses already had available to them. The phones had to be wired into the outlet on the wall. They didn't have modular plugs then.

Microwaves were in use, but only in very affluent homes. For the most part, microwaves were used by businesses and clubs which could afford the high price. The first one I saw was in the YMCA.

In some YMCAs around the country, there were specific hours that guests, particularly females, could use the facility. During the other hours, if men wanted to swim naked, they could and did.

A number of men's magazines were sold under the counter at the register. Those weren't on display in the racks.

State abbreviations varied. There were some two-character abbreviations in use for some states, such as NC, SC, ND, SD, WV, RI, NY, NJ, and NH.

Tobacco and alcoholic products were openly advertised and vending machines dispensed tobacco products which made it easy for minors to take up smoking if they had as little as a quarter. Cartons of cigarettes could be purchased for $1.40 in some locations. Visitors to NY were frequently shocked that cigarettes there cost as much as fifty cents.

Many localities closed all their stores as early as 6:00 PM and almost as many prohibited Sunday hours completely. Only a few businesses were exempted, such as movie theaters which would be allowed to function until 9 or 10 PM. A lot of areas had Blue Laws, based on a hodgepodge of religious rules, prohibiting the sale of certain products on a Sunday. If you wanted to buy a pound of hamburger, you couldn't because it had to be cooked. If you wanted to buy a loaf of bread, you could because it was already baked. In very small communities, there was no theater. Instead, they set up a projector in a vacant lot near an outlet, used logs as seats, and a large sheet for the screen.

Bulbs for Christmas lights for trees tended to be the size of night light bulbs still in use today. Most were painted, so the lights had to eventually be replaced even if they still worked within a couple of years since the paint would get scratched and scraped off as well as flake off from the repeated exposure to heat and cold.

You could purchase fireworks in many places. Of course, some were considered illegal already based on how much powder they contained and whether those were meant to just rocket or explode. Regardless, many illegal types were sold anyway.

In a lot of cities, the bars and assorted illicit businesses that would make up a red light district tended to be in the same neighborhood. That actually made it easier for the cops to regulate, but city planners in a lot of places saw those congregations of bars as eyesores, so they broke up those areas using planning codes believing that most of the bars and attendant activity would then die and anything left would be easier to regulate. Instead, they made the existence of those more acceptable in other neighborhoods but they didn't know that until about the seventies.

Just before Barbie, Chatty Cathy and Easy Bake Ovens were the rage among girls. Boys tended to like the Mattel guns which could shoot plastic bullets which came in cartridges like real bullets, but were spring-propelled. Each cartridge had its own individual spring, so you put together your bullets, loaded the Mattel revolver or derringer (there might have been a rifle version, too) and then chased each other around. Red Ryder BB guns were popular, but considerably more dangerous. Other popular boys' toys included model kits.

About nine-tenths of all the stores you might see along major roads in many cities and localities were not in existence then. Instead, think farms, forests, lakes, and swamps. The Back To The Future movie shows a good scene of how a subdivision replaced what was a field years earlier. You can gain a good perspective on that by thinking back just a decade or two in your own life to a road in your locality that you remember used to be only farms, woods, and fields and now is a seemingly endless line of small businesses. Multiply that by ten. That's how much it's changed because of the proliferation of cars.

In the fifties, many people car-pooled because they couldn't afford a car and they needed to get somewhere that the buses might not have serviced or at a time that the buses didn't service that route. New cars could still be purchased for less than a thousand.

Getting a raise of ten-cents an hour was impressive, particularly if you were making $1.25 an hour.

If you want to gain a good perspective on the fifties, watch Cold Case for when they feature a really old case. Their attention to detail is fairly accurate.

If you have specific questions, email me.

Last edited:

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hate to say it but I was a youngster in the late fifties. I don't remember too much except for these things:

My dad took a lot of pictures and they were all black and white. No color.
We had a rotary phone and only one!
We had a black and white TV set and only one!
We had a milkman who delivered our milk in glass bottles right to our door.
People had big families--lots of kids.

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Although I enjoyed Pleasantville, I'm not sure it's going to help your novel, since it filters the 50s through a modern lens. You might do better to put movies and TV from the 50s in your Netflix queue. (I recommend I Love Lucy for starters--it's set in New York, too, and until well into the series the couple is childless.)

Several years ago there was a schmaltzy "Remember the Good Old Days" email making the rounds. I wrote this reply and sent it to those who'd shared their unoriginal warm fuzzies and longed for those days to return.

Maybe you’re among the thousands of Boomers who’s received the nostalgic remember-when e-mail glorifying a simpler time. While we all appreciate the warm fuzzies of childhood memories, let us also remember when...

...the word “cancer” was a death sentence;
...the Catholic church held services in a language almost none of the believers could understand;
...you heard the words n*gger, sp*c, gr*aser, sp**k, and k*ke every day, in conversation and in racial jokes and epithets, and thought nothing of it;
...birth control was entirely the man’s responsibility—and he often had to ask the pharmacist to purchase condoms;
...women in abusive home situations were counseled to return after the police gave him a good talking-to (since hardly any shelters existed for battered women and their children);
...there were no television programs that originated anywhere but New York City, and therefore no shows which resembled the lives of most Americans;
...game shows asked questions that required knowledge (and some of the shows were rigged);
...girls who were interested in medicine could only be nurses;
...the closest thing to “fast food” was reheated left-overs;
...hardly anyplace sold “pizza pie” and of the few, none delivered;
...black citizens were kept from registering and voting;
...most families owned a single car—and the husband took it to work daily, and drove wife and family where they needed to go evenings and weekends;
...TV was black and white and the ‘remote control’ was the nearest child available for channel changing;
...no specialty television stations aimed at a particular audience (Spanish-speaking, sports lovers, children) existed;
...a raped 15-year-old who found herself pregnant had two options: having a rapist’s baby, or having an illegal (and therefore unsafe) operation;
...virtually all clothing required ironing;
...the wearing of practical and durable blue jeans meant you were a farmer;
...bras pressed the breasts into cones;
...cars didn’t have seat belts and relatively minor accidents launched people through windshields face-first, assuming they weren’t impaled on the steering column;
...homosexuality was not only illegal but was unacceptable everywhere, and gay men and women sometimes killed themselves when their secret lives came to light;
...public schools included Christian religious instruction routinely, from Bible reading to prayer, and children of other beliefs were not excused nor their beliefs acknowledged;
...criminal suspects had no idea they were entitled to an attorney—for free;
...a promising Hispanic or Negro had almost no chance for financial aid in college, dooming him or her to jobs rather than a rewarding career;
...women wore girdles just about every day;
...everybody smoked, and very few public places didn’t permit smoking—smokers lit up in movie theaters, elevators, grocery stores, college classrooms, even church;
...people followed only four sports (football, hockey, basketball, baseball);
...men called their wives “the little woman” with straight faces;
...good Catholics didn’t even consider birth control and accepted more children than they could afford as God’s will;
...we knew very few sordid aspects about celebrities’ lives and thought their seeming glamour made them worthy objects of worship;
...with only a single income, taking the family to a mid-price restaurant was a special event;
...when a kid who couldn’t read was kept back a grade, sometimes repeatedly, despite the shame and his or her best efforts, because there was one way to teach, and if the child didn’t learn, he or she was at fault;
...women in Westerns were wasp-waisted, either whores or widowed ranch owners, both needing a man’s protection;
...kids and teenagers routinely made untraceable prank phone calls;
...styling your own hair involved sleeping on curlers;
...many of our favorite sexual practices were something decent people never, ever did;
...we kept our razors and changed the blades—and cut ourselves deeper and more often;
...you didn’t know anybody who looked Chinese or Mexican or Indian but talked and thought pretty much like anybody else;
...the best black music didn’t become a hit until a white artist recorded it;
...only Hispanics listened or danced to a Latin beat;
...the concept of judging someone by character while ignoring color was so revolutionary it frightened many people;
...somebody, usually the woman, had to wash dishes as many a three times each day;
...drying clothes meant lugging heavy baskets outdoors, stooping and stretching to hang each item on a clothesline, then hoping it didn’t rain—and made little allowance for mud underfoot, pregnancy or advanced years, kids and pets knocking down or dirtying the clean clothes hanging, winter, etc.
...the Mom who served hearty portions of red meat, potatoes mashed or scalloped with whole milk, butter, and plenty of salt, buttered vegetables, white-bread rolls with butter, and ice cream was largely responsible for Dad’s heart disease;
...the finest fighting forces in the free world relegated women who wanted to serve to hospitals and offices, and segregated soldiers of color;
...a significant portion of the people over 50 had full dentures which didn’t fit well;
...regardless of the day’s anticipated activites, from gardening to housework to nursing to supervising a playground, grown women rarely wore pants;
...Mexican, Italian, and Chinese food were unknown to most Americans;
...correspondence and major school papers were typed on a machine which did not permit invisible correction of errors;
...unless you had a ditto machine or mimeograph, carbon paper allowed you to make only four increasingly poor copies of any document;
...banks were open only from ten to three—good luck if your lunch hour at work was too short to let you get there during business hours;
...aging relatives unable to care for themselves lived with family, regardless of dementia, incontinence, or the need for round-the-clock care and supervision;
...the family car got only a dozen miles to the gallon, at best;
...you had to go out to enjoy high-quality ice cream;
...nobody you knew ate yogurt—and it was spelled ‘yoghurt’;
...there was no way to get cash in the middle of the night for an emergency;
...city gangs did not have handguns but made ‘zip guns’;
...you could not contact someone who was away from the telephone at home or work, or who was traveling;
...airmail cost extra;
...patients had little access to medical information about their own illnesses beyond what their doctors told them;
...a kid in your neighborhood had polio;
...nobody you knew would admit to having had, or even considering, an abortion--a dangerous procedure, since it might be performed by someone with only minimal qualifications under conditions far from sterile;
...you knew a kid whose dad beat him with a belt—all the time;
...unless you were rich, you shared a phone line with neighbors, and if they eavesdropped there wasn’t much you could do about it;
...cellophane “Scotch” tape was so shiny it always showed, and it yellowed after a few years;
...your mom, your aunts, your sister, even your grandma, might be the victim of an obscene phone call;
...men felt free to tell their wives how to dress and what to think, and most wives complied;
...bars and restaurants only had a few beers on tap;
...families whose dad (or mom) drank the welfare money went hungry, since food stamps didn’t exist;
...only jazz musicians and a few movie stars did drugs, not anybody you knew, even slightly;
...if your family included anyone who was mentally ill or disabled, they ‘went away’ to an institution and were not discussed outside the family;
...everyone assumed that all girls would grow up to be wives and mothers—and nothing else;
...black people sat in the back of the bus, drank from the filthy water fountain, and so on;
...couples remained in loveless or abusive relationships rather than divorce;
...few moms worked, unless they were widows. Single women were sometimes required to leave teaching jobs when they married, or once married, when they became pregnant;
...few kids were involved in any activity which was interracial or intercultural, from school or sports to scouting to worship--same as their parents.

Maryn, glad to live now, thank you

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
You needed a can opener in order to open any cans. You needed a cork screw for all wine bottles. You needed a bottle opener for all other bottles.

Air conditioning in homes was rare. Businesses advertised having air conditioning because it was considered a true luxury in the summertime. My high school was among the first to have air conditioning installed. It was for the band room to protect the instruments. Of course, when the air conditioning went bad, it filled the storage and practice area with noxious fumes.

Central heat was also rare in most existing homes. It was coming more into fashion with new homes in subdivisions. Before that, most people relied upon fireplaces, wood or coal stoves. Until the late sixties, you could still find a number of businesses that sold wood and coal in quantity as well as specializing in ash removal which could be sold for use on snow to give traction.

Telephone booths existed all across the country. If you waited for a ride, you often picked a place with a phone booth. If it rained, you could wait inside the booth and stay dry. Just about every isolated business in the country had one nearby and there were generally several in shopping centers. The open booths without any protection from the elements became popular in the seventies(?) when it became cheaper to just replace the phone and to make it easier for people in cars to drive up next to the phone and use it from inside the car.

Malls were almost unheard of. The closest thing to those was either a Sears or Penneys store because those were huge compared to everything else and had multiple departments within so that you could practically find anything you needed. Other stores became similar in nature within certain regions.

Sawdust was frequently used as padding for many goods and even as a buffer for landings by pole vaulters and such. It was also to mark paths in gardens as well as serve as a poor fertilizer. It wasn't processed then into new sheets of wood.

People were more judgmental in what they purchased. They didn't want to buy junk. Products were expected to last or be repairable at a reasonable cost. A brand name then actually stood for a lot more than it does today.

Doctors in large urban areas began phasing out house calls because many realized they could care for more patients and do more good if the patients came to them where they'd have more tools at their disposal. They also began to congregate in different outlying shopping areas so that they were convenient to bus service and had access to different specialties if a patient had that kind of need. By the end of the sixties, that was done more to make profit than to benefit more people.

Many neighborhoods routinely saw traveling salesmen on a daily basis. This included photographers and sellers of produce, ice cream, vacuum cleaners, and so forth. In some neighborhoods, it was the only time a black person might be seen unless the family was well off enough to afford a visit by a maid.

If a person walked down the street with a rifle or shotgun, little attention was paid because there were areas close enough that the person might very well be on his way to hunt.

Parents did not expose their children needlessly to anyone who was sick. You either did not visit or you cancelled any events that you were giving if someone in your family was sick because many childhood diseases then were more dangerous.

Last edited:

awatkins

Not harboring illegal parrot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
You could smoke pretty much anywhere you went--restaurants, hospitals, grocery stores, the movies. There were always ash trays or some sort of containers set out for cigarette butts everywhere.

My dad always wore a suit and tie when we went somewhere nice.

My mom always had her own car, but she never worked because my dad didn't want her to.

Cars didn't have power steering and you indicated turns by using hand signals (that was how it was with our cars back then, anyway; I'm sure there were cars equipped with turn signals and power steering if you could afford them).

Chet Huntley and David Brinkley did the evening news. Sign off was: "Good night, Chet." "Good night, David."

Beatniks were cool cats, and my older brother was a hood because he had hair almost down to his collar.

If you wanted popcorn, you popped it on top of the stove in a pot with a lid. Then something called JiffyPop came along--it was in an aluminum pan with foil covering the popcorn. The foil expanded as the corn popped. (Or did that come out in the 60s?)

Help! I'm remembering stuff and I can't stop! :D

Last edited:

Hannah

Registered
Reaction score
Wow! I feel like I'm going back in time :)

Just a few quick questions;
How often did the milkman come? Once a week? Twice? How many bottles did he deliver, on average?

What brand of cigarettes was more popular for a woman? a man? (maybe I should give her a habit) :hat:

I did watch Cold Case the other night (by accident because I usally watch Law & Order all day), and I really enjoyed it.

You guy/gals have been a great help.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Or you watched Walter Cronkite give the news.

Yes, Jiffy Pop came out in the fifties.

All radio stations carried the news and weather which they gave on the hour. Records by Redd Foxx, Moms Mabley, and the like didn't get played on air. Those were for adults to share at parties.

There weren't any stores featuring sexual devices and risque clothing. Those were only by order from the ads in the backs of magazines sold from under the counter.

The only recordings you could buy were LPs, 45s, 78s, and reels. For video, you could buy 8mm or Super 8s of short features and cartoons or slides if you had an appropriate projector.

Televisions could generally receive up to thirteen channels, but most areas had access to one or two. Sometimes three.

Radios were generally quality devices with very wide bands of channels so that it was possible with some to actually pick up foreign stations with the right atmospheric conditions. It wasn't until the transistor in the late fifties that portable radios became affordable and bandwidth was decreased in what radios generally offered.

There weren't as many preservatives in groceries so you packed all the cold items into the same bags. When you got home, those were the first items you took from the bags to put away. You didn't keep the refrigerator door open any longer than necessary and you didn't buy more than you could reasonably fit in because refrigerators and freezers were smaller. The bags were made of paper and you reused those in many ways. Trash, gift wrapping, you name it. You weren't asked paper or plastic, either. Plastic bags at the time were too flimsy and weak to hold groceries.

Status
Not open for further replies.