Querying agents that requested material from you previously

BethMac

Saying the Serenity Prayer
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, so I hope this makes sense.

1. I queried my first novel and got 8 requests from some really great agents.

2. I have trunked first novel and written a brand new one hopefully avoiding all the pitfalls of the first.

3. Should I query the 8 that requested material first and if so, should I mention that they requested a different MS from me before.

They were all great agents I'd love to have.

Any input would be much appreciated.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely it's worth mentioning that they'd made a request before. It certainly doesn't hurt.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, absolutely! Anything that makes you stand out from the crowd is worth a mention (Er, within reason)

Yes, please don't put, "Remember that guy who flashed you at the convention in Chicago? That was me!"

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, please don't put, "Remember that guy who flashed you at the convention in Chicago? That was me!"

Yes, ha ha. Thanks guys, I will figure out how to put it in the personal stuff.

Now to finish spiffing up the MS. :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Wait, what happened between 1 and 2?

Did the eight requests all result in rejections, or did you just trunk the novel without sending the manuscript because you realized it had problems?

Lineykins

Registered
Reaction score
I don't agree with what others have posted.

But that's because I am assuming the requested manuscript was also rejected by these eight agents (I've made this assumption as you have trunked your first novel manuscript).

So if that's the case - why highlight that they have rejected you before? Unless they've included, with these rejections, something like - "love your writing but this work is not for me. However, please be sure to send me your next manuscript as I'd love to see it." (If they write something like this, it's good to mention).

Otherwise, you're kinda starting with a negative (remember me, you sent me a rejection for novel 1), rather just go in with the positive (hey, I have this fantastic manuscript - would you like to see it?).

But by all means, do try those 8 agents again.
All the best.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I'd only do it if they mentioned subbing something else in the future. In those cases, I've saved the emails and hit reply when doing a new query, personalizing the first line or two.

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Wait, what happened between 1 and 2?

Did the eight requests all result in rejections, or did you just trunk the novel without sending the manuscript because you realized it had problems?

All rejects, some personalized, no one said send me your next novel. So maybe I shouldn't mention it? hmmm This is why I'm questioning this...anymore feedback?

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
All rejects, some personalized, no one said send me your next novel. So maybe I shouldn't mention it? hmmm This is why I'm questioning this...anymore feedback?

No, you shouldn't mention previous rejections in this case. As someone mentioned upstream, the only time to even hint at previous rejections is in the case of invitations to submit future work.

Just send your new stuff off to them. And good luck!

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Wouldn't you want to send it to other agents in case they are interested in both? I don't know, but I wouldn't send my work to the ones that already rejected me from before. I'd want an agent to rep all of my works.

And NO, I would definitely not say, "Hey you rejected me in the past, wanna take a look at this new one?" type of thing. Always be professional, read the guidelines and give them what they want. Don't give anything more than what you need to.

Determination

Is watching you
Registered
Reaction score
I'm on the fence. On the one hand mentioning it gives them a chance to form a prejudice against your work since they rejected you previously. On the other it shows you are prolific and serious about writing. Would love to know an agents take on the matter.

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
if they read a full and gave great feedback, ABSOLUTELY mention it. YES. DO IT.

if they rejected you based on just a query, never requested more material, then you needn't bother.

happywritermom

Registered
Reaction score
I'm wondering what happened to the first novel. If you got eight full requests, you must have had something worth saving there, regardless of the feedback.
I hope you've simply set it aside and that you plan to approach it again after you've been away for a while. I hate to see a good novel go to waste.

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
if they read a full and gave great feedback, ABSOLUTELY mention it. YES. DO IT.

if they rejected you based on just a query, never requested more material, then you needn't bother.

Thanks Jennifer- Yes, the 8 all requested material, some fulls some partials and then gave brief feedback with the rejection.

To the others who questioned my trunking it, I haven't totally given up on it in some form someday but it needs more plot. New novel=bursting with plot :)

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I wouldn't say a word about it, unless the agent specifically said something like "The market is too saturated for me to sell this particular book, but your writing itself is excellent and I'll be happy to look at your future writings" or something such.

But no, otherwise I wouldn't volunteer this info. This is a different book, a different pitch, got nothing to do with the old one. And sorry if this part sounds rude -- I really don't mean it to -- but the bottom line is, the novel was rejected. For yourself and your morale, keep up the "glass half full" attitude that at least your novel got some requests and nice rejections, but when dealing with agents, keep rejections out of the pitch.

Quickbread

Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere between the beginning and the end
Hmm, I'd go with Ms. Laughran's advice above. She would know, right?

I would think that reminding an agent that they thought enough of your writing to request a full or partial and to make some positive comments would automatically lift you up above the slush. It's like reminding them that they vetted your writing caliber once already.

I know it's not quite the same, but I requeried a novel revision to agents who had requested a full of an earlier draft. None of them had requested more work or revisions, but all of them said something positive in their rejections. I opened the queries with a reminder that they'd read my manuscript before, summarized their positive comments, then asked if they'd be interested in rereading. Not all of them have responded, but out of six requeries, two agents requested the manuscript immediately and expressed gratitude that I'd thought of them again for the work. I don't see why that approach couldn't be tweaked for pitching a new manuscript.

Last edited:

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Hmm, I'd go with Ms. Laughran's advice above. She would know, right?

I would think that reminding an agent that they thought enough of your writing to request a full or partial and to make some positive comments would automatically lift you up above the slush. It's like reminding them that they vetted your writing caliber once already.

I know it's not quite the same, but I requeried a novel revision to agents who had requested a full of an earlier draft. None of them had requested more work or revisions, but all of them said something positive in their rejections. I opened the queries with a reminder that they'd read my manuscript before, summarized their positive comments, then asked if they'd be interested in rereading. Not all of them have responded, but out of six requeries, two agents requested the manuscript immediately and expressed gratitude that I'd thought of them again for the work. I don't see why that approach couldn't be tweaked for pitching a new manuscript.

Yes, quickbread, I think I'm going with her advice :) I'll find a way to work it in subtly. Thanks everyone for weighing in!

Jennifer_Laughran

knows what she's looking for when she finds it!
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.andreabrownlit.com
For clarity, I did say FULLS WITH FEEDBACK, not partials with a form letter.

I say this because several times, I have gotten a second query from a person whose full I read before, and if I liked it enough to give feedback, I'll often ask for the full right away on the second book. (and I have signed some of those people, too!).

I'll ask your indulgence, put yourself in my shoes: I don't request fulls often, so they are kind of rare. I hardly have time to read them, but they are (truly) a constant source of guilt -- I see their author's name every time I open my ipad or inbox, hovering there with a red label that says REQUESTED FULL! -- so when I request a full, it is like I've spent a month or three with you in my life every day. Though I'm terrible with faces, when I read, I have an extraordinarily good memory because that is part of my JOB, so I will tend to remember all the fulls I read. So it is silly not to mention it, because I will very likely remember your name anyway even if you don't, and I may think you're being weird and cagey if you don't say something.

And again... I have signed several people based on the second thing they sent me. (And I assure you, they mentioned the first thing in their emails!)

ALL THAT SAID, if they did nothing but give you a form letter on a partial, or it seemed like they didn't even read it, don't bother. I really only mean you DEFINITELY SHOULD bother if it is a full with feedback. #repetitive

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
Hi BethMac! I'm glad you're getting ready to query again. Some great advice here about when to mention a past request in your query.

I will also add that you should step back a bit. First query the agents you most want to work with, whether they requested from you or not. It's a different book -- your first choice who passed last time might love this idea. Don't query your 160th choice just because they requested last time -- keep that in your pocket, just in case.

You have a whole new start with the agents who passed last time, and a tiny leg up with those who liked your first novel. Good luck!

BethMac

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification Jennifer. I will go back and read
the rejects again for each and decide individally.
I know at least one was a form and I think she has readers so I won't bother with that one.

And thanks kell for the great advice too! I don't really have one perfect agent in mind but but we'll see.

Last edited: