• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Looking to trade critiques for my polished fantasy/scifi novel

Status
Not open for further replies.

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I recently completed a scifi-rooted fantasy novel with a fair bit of action and literary & deconstructive elements. It's polished and went out to beta readers, but my friends and family couldn't provide the quality of feedback that a good beta buddy from AW can give. I try to give thoughtful, educated critiques. I'm a junior at a 4-year program with a degree-in-progress in creative writing.

Over on Nathan Bradsford's forums I had solicited a critique partner and had gotten some very valuable feedback on the opening chapters of my novel. I'm looking for the same arrangement with one or two other people: We swap synopses and a chapter or two at a time. If we enjoy reading each other's works, we give critiques and continue. If not, it's no big deal and we go our separate ways. Is anyone interested? Here's the pitch for what I'm working on:

Jerren Li’Sterrik is a dropout magus who resorts to petty crime when money gets tight. While doing a job for a local crime boss, he finds a mysterious cultural relic hidden in a lord’s treasury. After botching the job beyond repair, he decides that swindling his best friend and the princess she works for is his easiest ticket out of the city. Failure ensues when they are framed for an act of domestic terrorism that the State perpetrated in order to instigate civil war. Agents of the State then relentlessly pursue Jerren and his companions for the evidence they carry – evidence that could also avert the impending civil war.

Help comes when an influential but discontent lord offers the companions asylum in exchange for their allegiance. He claims that the salvation of the anti-State rebellion lies both in the evidence they carry and the artifact Jerren found. Left with few options, the companions embark on a deadly game of cat and mouse with a government who wants them erased.

Last edited:

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
Bump. I've swapped chapter critiques with a few people, but nothing stuck. I'm still looking for a beta buddy!

Last edited:

casualrungal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
Sounds interesting! I'd be happy to take a look. How many words is it? PM if you're still looking for another reader.
- Alix

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, AW. I sent you PM's.

First chapter is 1,900 words. Second is 1,300. They get a lot longer from there :)

Lycoplax

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like you already have some volunteers, but if you're still looking for some fresh eyes and wouldn't mind reciprocating, I'm in a similar boat. My fellow Creative Writing graduates are either too busy or Attention Deficit Ooh Shiny to help me out, and my family and friends lack the eye I'm looking for.

I'm also keen on fantasy with a bit of scifi. ("Magic is just science we don't understand yet," Arthur C Clarke via Jane Foster, Thor) If you're interested, I'll bother you with more information via PM, as I don't want to clog your thread with my stuff.

Also, I'm slightly unclear if this falls under the 50-post prerequisite policy like SYW does. If it does, don't mind me. EDIT: Since you're under 50 as well, I just realized, I guess this isn't a problem. Carry on.

Status
Not open for further replies.