Published Shorts

Status
Not open for further replies.

katiemac

Five by Five
Registered
Reaction score
I was in B&N yesterday and was surprised to find a published paperback of Annie Proulx's short story, Brokeback Mountain. I picked up the book, expecting a few other of her shorts to accompany the main title, but nope -- just Brokeback. Obviously this is an ingenious ploy since the story is now a major motion picture garnering lots of Oscar buzz, but still I was surprised to see the book in stores.

I can't remember seeing any other short stories published this way, even after they've been turned into films. Perhaps because those shorts were already part of an anthology? Brokeback can be found in anthology as well, but I didn't see any of those lying around.

So what exactly is cost-reward for publishers for printing a book so short? Brokeback is a bit on the longer side for a short, but since they're selling it close to full-length novel price -- $9.99 -- it's apparently balancing out for them.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Smart folk will realise they can get the anthology this story originally came in for the same price (I seem to recall it was called 'Wyoming Stories')

They only way that pricing/format would work otherwise is -- well a multi-award nominated smash movie for promo.

trumancoyote

My Name is Sweet Thing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.janetismeantome.com
Maya Angelou published Amazing Peace: A Christmas Poem.
It's 32 pages and $9.95.

But then, she's Maya Angelou... I'd buy it.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Shorts

With the right name on the cover, many will buy a single story at whatever price, and when they do the profit margin is very high.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
In the horror genre short chapbooks are very common, often of a single story and seldom more than 30 pages. Normally these are sold at cons, and often signed by the author.

Another interesting trend I've seen is author's who sell multimedia CDs of their work, usually them reading a few stories, but for the more artistic you might have a reading, the CD cover-art done by the author and even some music if they're in a band.

Mike Coombes

Guru
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writers.ktf-design.com
Mark Anderson said:
In the horror genre short chapbooks are very common, often of a single story and seldom more than 30 pages. Normally these are sold at cons, and often signed by the author.

Not sure that chapbooks count in the same league - they're more like authorial junk-mail.

Mark Anderson

Registered
Reaction score
Mike Coombes said:
Not sure that chapbooks count in the same league - they're more like authorial junk-mail.

Hmm. I guess I should toss these from Jack Ketchum, Poppy Z. Brite, Richard Matheson, Ed Lee, Brian Keene, Graham Masterton, Joe R. Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson....

I'm curious why you think they're like junk mail.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I have a lot of respect for some of the chapbook makers especially in the horror genre, for the simple reason that the quality of the writing is astounding.

maestrowork

Fear the Death Ray
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Publishers want to make money. With the hype about the movie, there's a lot of attention and demand for Annie Proulx's story. It's about 50 pages, I think, and there's almost no production or marketing costs, the potential profit is staggering. I think we'll see more of these shorts being re-released as stand-alone if there's a movie tie-in.

Ironically, Brokeback Mountain has been published multiple times (either in short format and as part of an anthology), and is also available online for free.

JA Konrath

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.JAKonrath.com
Mark Anderson said:
Hmm. I guess I should toss these from Jack Ketchum, Poppy Z. Brite, Richard Matheson, Ed Lee, Brian Keene, Graham Masterton, Joe R. Lansdale, F. Paul Wilson....

I'm curious why you think they're like junk mail.

Some of those go for hundred of bucks on ebay. Collectors love limited edition chapbooks. And for many authors, it is the difference between the red and the black.

Status
Not open for further replies.