Daring to cut off Amazon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Looks like it's not just the big boys upset with Amazon.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/daring-cut-off-amazon-140209029.html

The Educational Development Corporation, saying it was fed up with Amazon’s scorched-earth tactics, announced at the end of February that it would remove all its titles from the retailer’s virtual shelves. That eliminated at a stroke $1.5 million in annual sales, a move that could be a significant hit to the 46-year-old EDC’s bottom line.

“Amazon is squeezing everyone out of business,” said Randall White, EDC’s chief executive. “I don’t like that. They’re a predator. We’re better off without them.”
Amazon is generally reluctant to explain its business practices and declined to comment for this article. But its executives say it is shaking up an antiquated business model by eliminating middlemen and passing the savings on to consumers. Publishers that try to cling to the past, they have said, will die.

The retailer’s growing list of critics, however, argue that Amazon has $48 billion in revenue but hardly any profit, proof that its approach is opportunistic and unsustainable. When traditional publishers, booksellers and wholesalers are destroyed, these opponents say, Amazon will be left with a monopoly that will be detrimental to the larger health of the culture.

In recent months, the dispute over Amazon’s strategy of selling books below cost has boiled over from several directions.

During the holiday season, Amazon encouraged customers to use physical stores as showrooms before ordering more cheaply online, a move that infuriated bookstores in particular. Publishers and distributors say that Amazon, never exactly shy in negotiating terms, has been more assertive in its quest for ever-better deals.

“Last year was the best in our 37 years, mainly due to the way Amazon was pushing the books,” said Bryce Milligan of Wings Press in San Antonio, an IPG client. “Then Amazon cut us off because they couldn’t get a better deal. Now our e-books sales are down 50 percent.”

Midian

My sarcasm got the better of me.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
inkslingereditorialservices.com
Nice. People like to defend Amazon because it's a free market and they should be allowed to sell what they want, how they want.

Free market works both ways. Companies don't have to provide product and when Amazon starts trying to create a "Amazon giveth, Amazon taketh away" attitude to instill fear of leaving, people get fed up. Most people don't respond well to intimidation and bullying.

I think we'll start seeing more of this as the dominoes fall.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
Nice. People like to defend Amazon because it's a free market and they should be allowed to sell what they want, how they want.

Yeah, that's the grand irony. It's all rah-rah laissez faire until they realize one guy is systematically eliminating all the other competitors.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Seattle Times just did a weeklong series of stories about Amazon that you might find interesting: http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2017883596_amazonintro25.html The takeaway point was that Amazon hates Seattle and Seattle hates Amazon. They give nothing to the local community, provide lousy working conditions, hate sales tax, and treat their suppliers horribly. In contrast, Seattle loves Microsoft and would make sweet passionate love to it and even let it eat a sandwich in bed during said passionate lovemaking.

muravyets

Old revolutionary
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Amazon says they eliminate the middlemen? Isn't Amazon a middleman, technically? Especially in the world of ebooks, isn't every distributor and retailer positioned between the author and the reader a middleman - technically? Amazon better be careful what it wishes for.

Unless, of course, their real goal is to do what Walmart did, what other large corporations do, namely nuke all the competition, taking over the entire market to themselves, squeeze a shit-ton of money out of it as fast as possible and then shut down operations and move on to something else.

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
[/QUOTE

The ultimate evolution of every free market is toward a monopoly. Only the advent of new technology or Government control keeps free markets 'free'.

AnneGlynn

If you don't try, you can't fail
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneglynn.com
I've been saying it for years. Amazon is evil.

I can't agree or disagree because I don't know the entire situation. I sell my writing on Amazon and I shop on Amazon. If I thought the company was an agent of darkness, I'd quit working with them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.