US groups exporting murder of LGBT

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
Scott Lively, the author of The Pink Swastika as well as the architect behind the Ugandan “Kill the gays”-bill was leading a Tea Party rally the other day when other people came to counter-protest. Why is he being taken seriously? And why is he leading a rally for a major faction of a political party?

http://www.queerty.com/gay-and-occu...-merry-band-of-tea-party-protestors-20120416/
When Tea Party activists gathered in Boston yesterday afternoon, they weren’t given license to shout their Small Government slogans at disinterested passersby—liberal activists of all stripes showed up to shout them down.
Who doesn’t love a good counter-protest?
The rally was led by the notoriously anti-gay missionary Scott Lively, who has spread his brand of dangerous homophobia in Uganda and other parts of Africa. (He’s even being sued for it, thank the good gay-friendly god.)

http://www.queerty.com/meet-americas-bigots-spearheading-ugandas-death-to-gays-bill-20091204/
We all know how outrageously terrible Uganda’s proposed Anti-Homosexual Bill of 2009 is. Aside from life imprisonment for gays, and the death penalty for “aggravated homosexuality,” the bill calls for the anyone who knows A Gay but does not report him to face a three-year prison sentence. Oh, and the extradition of native Ugandans who dare venture elsewhere in the world to commit homosexuality. But despite their best intentions, Uganda’s lawmakers and executive branch leaders didn’t come up with this on their own. They had help from Americans. Which ones?

He is also believed to be partly responsible for the sudden emergence of anti-gay legislation in Russia. According to Advocate:

http://www.advocate.com/Politics/Co...olitics_Behind_Russias_Ban_on_Gay_Propaganda/
Pouncing on antigay momentum around the 2006 ban on the Moscow Pride parade, American evangelist Scott Lively wrote a letter to the Russian people after completing a speaking tour in the country. Through his speaking engagements, Lively closely allied himself with the Russian Orthodox church and his influence is still evident. Many will remember Lively as the origin of what became Uganda’s Bill 18, also known as the notorious “kill the gays” bill. In his letter, Lively elaborated that, “The purpose of my visit was to bring a warning about the homosexual political movement which has done much damage to my country and which has now taken root in Russia. This is a very fast-growing social cancer that will destroy the family foundations of your society if you do not take immediate, effective action to stop it.” Through his tour, Lively closely allied himself with the Russian Orthodoxy and presented its adherents with a road map to protect themselves from what they saw as gay propaganda.

Lively is the subject of a civil suit by a Ugandan LGBT group in the United States at the moment.

Lively’s “success” have inspired other US groups to try to push the anti-LGBT agenda on countries where support for LGBT rights is soft. National Organisation for Marriage has internationalised its “Dump Starbucks”-campaign to Indonesia in order to get at Bali, one of the most socially liberal (vis a vis lgbt) in the world. If they can shift Indonesia’s more conservative center, they can affect Bali.

http://www.nomblog.com/21544/
"In our first week, we gained 25,000 pledge signers in the U.S. alone; today we go international, expanding DumpStarbucks.com campaigns into Mandarin, Arabic, Turkish, Spanish, and Bahala (one of the chief languages of Indonesia)," announced NOM President Brian Brown. "DumpStarbucks.com online ads will also start running in Egypt, Beijing, Hong Kong, the Yunnan region of China, United Arab Emirates, Bahrain, Oman and Kuwait."

While NOM might be laughed off the stage in Seattle, it might be taken much more seriously in Djakarta, just like Lively has been received well by groups and stratas in other countries while being considered a crackpot at home.

At home these people would never dare say that they're actually want LGBT people dead, but their activities abroad align them with the most oppressive movements against LGBT people, and are often directly responsible for legislative action like the one in Uganda.

Last edited:

raburrell

Treguna Makoidees Trecorum SadisDee
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccaburrell.com
We were on the Common yesterday and saw the 'rally'. It wasn't exactly well attended, but the fact anyone was there at all makes me kinda sad.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Scott Lively, the author of The Pink Swastika as well as the architect behind the Ugandan “Kill the gays”-bill was leading a Tea Party rally the other day when other people came to counter-protest. Why is he being taken seriously? And why is he leading a rally for a major faction of a political party?
I assume that's a rhetorical question.

Here's a interview clip of Lively from Jason Jones of the Daily Show from 2010.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-28-2010/gay-reichs

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
I assume that's a rhetorical question.

Here's a interview clip of Lively from Jason Jones of the Daily Show from 2010.

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-july-28-2010/gay-reichs

It depends. In the case of the Ugandan law, is inflaming hatred in order for someone to commit murder a crime, or is it protected by the first amendment?

ETA
Is the fact that these groups support deadly legislation in the third world indicative that they hope for the same legislation at home, but that they are savvy enough not to voice it on national TV?

RichardGarfinkle

Nurture Phoenixes
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardgarfinkle.com
It depends. In the case of the Ugandan law, is inflaming hatred in order for someone to commit murder a crime, or is it protected by the first amendment?

ETA
Is the fact that these groups support deadly legislation in the third world indicative that they hope for the same legislation at home, but that they are savvy enough not to voice it on national TV?

Tough to document answer to your last question, so I'll have to say probably rather than the emphatic, " yes and no hell is vast enough for them" that I would be inclined to answer.

Here's a link to one of Rachel Maddow's reports on other US ties to that law.
http://videocafe.crooksandliars.com/heather/rachel-maddow-show-us-ties-ugandan-anti

Mharvey

Liker Of Happy Things
Registered
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia:

According to a January 2011 profile, Lively "has not changed his view that gays are 'agents of America’s moral decline' but has refocused his approach to fit his flock in Springfield, Massachusetts" and "is toning down his antigay rhetoric and shifting his focus to helping the downtrodden."[12]

Considering the Russia legislation happened well after January 2011, guess he gave up helping the poor. And why should he? That doesn't involve any hate, bloodshed and murder. Where's the fun in that?

Though one can't help but wonder where his obsession with homosexuality comes from. He seems to just keep going back to it. Like it's something always on his mind. I wonder if Mr. Lively has a little secret he's afraid his mother wouldn't approve of.

Lady Goddess

*insert something epic here*
Registered
Reaction score
Though one can't help but wonder where his obsession with homosexuality comes from. He seems to just keep going back to it. Like it's something always on his mind. I wonder if Mr. Lively has a little secret he's afraid his mother wouldn't approve of.

I was thinking the same thing.

LOG

Lagrangian
Registered
Reaction score

Yorkist

Banned
Reaction score

Because the inmates have taken over that party's asylum.

Yanno how we've had a little back and forth about the differences in the two political parties in the U.S. re: LGBT human rights? This is what our current party system looks like. I mention this just because I know you're not American and only experience this vicariously. There are a lot of nutters in government office right now. There's a lot of strange angry nuttiness in the general population, too.

The English language cannot express the amount of loathing I feel for this guy and for sentiments like this in general.

When Tea Party activists gathered in Boston yesterday afternoon, they weren’t given license to shout their Small Government slogans at disinterested passersby—liberal activists of all stripes showed up to shout them down.
Who doesn’t love a good counter-protest?
The rally was led by the notoriously anti-gay missionary Scott Lively, who has spread his brand of dangerous homophobia in Uganda and other parts of Africa. (He’s even being sued for it, thank the good gay-friendly god.)
The Tea Party is a Trojan horse. What the hell is small government about this? Or maybe they want a government so small that we get rid of those pesky laws that forbid murder?

It is my belief that the Tea Party (along with the Republican party), whatever the intention of its original founders, has been hijacked by an angry white male Christian heterosexual red-blooded A'mmurican populism that is seriously upset about losing hegemony, and this is compounding with economic tensions to produce absolute nuttery. For them, "small government" is a rhetorical term clearly refers to some idea of "government that's small for me, and big for everyone else."

Last edited: