Should technical writing credits be mentioned in queries?

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
I saw a few posts that discussed the amount of resumé detail that should be included in queries, but I didn't see any mention of technical writing. Would a user guide to a machine be worth mentioning in a query for a science fiction?

A weird question, but it applies to me!

On a similar note: For previously un-published authors, is it worth mentioning one has written drafts of other unpublished novels? I feel like such a thing should be implied, but I'm not sure.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
I saw a few posts that discussed the amount of resumé detail that should be included in queries, but I didn't see any mention of technical writing. Would a user guide to a machine be worth mentioning in a query for a science fiction?

You'll get opposing opinions on this and will have to make up your own mind.

I include a line that I'm a tech writer because it demonstrates that I can likely use the language well (proven by the rest of the query, the synopsis, and sample pages), I'm used to being edited, and I have an understanding of some important aspects of publishing that an otherwise unpublished writer might not necessarily (or at least not demonstrably) have. But if you decide to mention this, don't list publications; they're irrelevant. All that is potentially interesting is that you're a professional writer.

Others will say not to bother, because an ability to write a user manual doesn't equal an ability to put together a publishable novel.

(I, of course, might suggest that anyone saying the latter doesn't actually understand just how much fiction goes into user manuals....LOL!)

On a similar note: For previously un-published authors, is it worth mentioning one has written drafts of other unpublished novels? I feel like such a thing should be implied, but I'm not sure.

No, don't ever mention unpublished work. It's irrelevant, and they'll assume you have drafts of other works anyway.

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
On a similar vein:

If the user guide was produced by a commercial publisher for sale to the general public, then sure. If it was produced for a company while their employee/freelance writer, then no.

Unpublished other novels probably shouldn't appear in a query, but should definitely be mentioned to an agent once you're represented. :)

lauralam

Moonshade
Registered
Reaction score
My friend mentioned she was a copywriter, as it took very little space in the query to do so. It showed she knew how to write to deadline, think creatively under pressure (for ads and whatnot), and her major clients were applicable to the target demographic for her book. Obviously it wasn't the only thing that got her the agent and bookdeal, but it definitely didn't hurt.

quicklime

all out of fucks to give
Banned
Reaction score
I do a fair amount of tech writing for my day job that is so mind-numbingly inelegant and scientific I can't honestly believe it helps or hurts me, so I don't mention it. It is about 40% scientific jargon, 60% straight, simple sentences written at about a fourth-grade level....neither really say much about novels, imho.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
It's worth mentioning if it's directly relevant to the topic of your book. If your book is about rogue AIs, it's relevant that you are a tech writer on computer topics. If your book is about an organ theft ring, it's relevant that you are a tech writer on medical technologies. If your book is about a post-apocalyptic war against zombie slugs, it isn't relevant that you write manuals for high-end cameras.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
If the user guide was produced by a commercial publisher for sale to the general public, then sure. If it was produced for a company while their employee/freelance writer, then no.
^ this. If you have written technical books that were commercially published , it suggests that you understand the author/publisher relationship and have worked in that environment.

Don't list titles, though. If the agent/editor cares, he or she can look you up on line.

Jamiekswriter

USA Today Bestselling Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jkschmidt.com
I'm a tech writer and I didn't mention it in my query. It probably wouldn't hurt you if you put a line in about it, but I don't think it would help either. :D Just my two cents. Good luck with the query.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I used to write item, quest, and spell statistics for an RPG line that was mass produced. I include those simply because it's a recognizable line and a recognizable publishing house. If it was for some schmo company that sells designer cat-shaped nightlights, I'm not sure I'd include it. But, that's me!

I wouldn't always look at a technical writing background and think, "okay, this guy will have a perfect manuscript." It might be pristine, but I'd be wondering if it was more sterile than narrative. Maybe if you had other publishing credits to round it out?