• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Liz D Publicity & Promotions

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
They approached me through email after buying my book. She said she wanted a week to read it and wanted to know if I could call her after that time.

Solunar

Treading the Borderland
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds a bit odd that she would email you first before reading it. Have you done a google search for her name?

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
I emailed one of her clients to find out. She only has two it seems.

NewKidOldKid

diplomat
Registered
Reaction score
Sounds a bit weird. Her website looks legit and the books in there don't seem to be self-published, so I don't know. I'd be careful, though.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She might have been trying to drum up a bit of publicity for her own business. Stranger things have happened.

If you're considering working with a publicist then add her to the list of publicists you'll check into when you're at that point. Otherwise? Ignore her.

I don't like her website very much. "Neighborhood Shoppe"? Tacky.

Terie

Writer is as Writer does
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.teriegarrison.com
You need to bear in mind the purpose of a publicist: to generate sales of lots copies of your book that wouldn't have been generated without the publicist.

Let's put it into simple mathematical terms. First, let's say that your royalty on each book sold is $1. (To keep the maths simple.) Next, let's say that the publicist charges $1,000.

That means that, for the cost to be worth it, the publicist must generate 1,000 additional sales that wouldn't have happened anyway just for you to break even.

What are the chances that someone who's trolling the internet to drum up business can accomplish this feat?

Also bear in mind that even top-flight publicists (who cost substantially more than $1,000) can't guarantee the author will make back the investment.

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
A publicist is responsible for controlling the public image of a client. Their job is to increase a client's "public" value (their "brand"). The publicist, for instance, would be the person who gets that sweet Disney Channel Star doing the Playboy shoot.

I'd have thought it would be a rare writer who needed one and the money would be better spent on marketing (a marketer gets the product to the customer. Their job includes identifying who that customer is and how best to get the product into their hands).

Last edited:

MoonStone

in touch
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for the information. I wanted to be prepared and knowledgeable before going and saying YES or nooo thank you.
I am pretty sure at this stage in my life, a thousand dollars is a "no" lol. I can market myself ;)

P_Garv

YA YA YA :)
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peytongarver.com
Curious, did you hear anything more about Liz D Publicity? I can't find any recommendations. This is what she sent to me when I inquired more about her services. I found her site from Twitter:

I work with authors in creating customized book publicity campaigns that fit their goals, budgets, and personalities. During a typical campaign, I primarily secure reviews and interviews with relevant online and traditional media (blogs, websites, print newspapers and magazines with online extensions, national and local radio shows, online radio shows, and podcasts), and secure events with book clubs, libraries, and bookstores.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Curious, did you hear anything more about Liz D Publicity? I can't find any recommendations. This is what she sent to me when I inquired more about her services. I found her site from Twitter:

I work with authors in creating customized book publicity campaigns that fit their goals, budgets, and personalities. During a typical campaign, I primarily secure reviews and interviews with relevant online and traditional media (blogs, websites, print newspapers and magazines with online extensions, national and local radio shows, online radio shows, and podcasts), and secure events with book clubs, libraries, and bookstores.

First up, don't look for publicists on Twitter. There are thousands of them there and most are not quite as effective at publicising books as my cats would be if they decided to give it a try.

Her response is empty. She doesn't tell you about any specific campaigns she's worked on, or how effective her work is.

I think you said in another thread that your book was already published, in which case most of the things she mentioned there won't work for you: most decent publications and TV and radio stations are only interested in publicising books which are about to be published, not those which have been available for a while already.