PDA

View Full Version : what would I have a doctor say?

_Jinx_
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
For my current story I am trying to open up with the girl in a hospital and have memory loss... so what would I have a doctor say?

Nymtoc
04-16-2012, 08:29 AM
A doctor could say practically anything, perhaps starting with something like, "How do you feel?" and "Do you have much pain?"

After that, a doctor might ask, "What's your name?" "Where do you live?" "Do you know where you are?" "What's today?" "What year is this?" "Who is the President of the United States?" and other questions designed to see how well the patient's mind is working.

_Jinx_
04-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Well here is what I have now...

Mika looked at his ID tag that was on his shirt. She only got a glimpse of it but she knew it had to be staff at the hospital. After a few moments a lot of questions came to mind…
“Excuse me… uh… Why am I here… what happened to me?” she asked. The man looked over towards her.
“Good question… according to police you were found in a car that had crashed into a tree. You suffered a head injury we still need to do an MRI. However when you’re up to it we need you to take a test to determine the state of your mind.” replied the Doctor.

The Tourist
04-16-2012, 08:41 AM
"However when you’re up to it we need you to take a test to determine the state of your mind.” replied the Doctor."

Yikes, never good news. The last time that happened to me I had tranquilizer dart marks in my serratus muscles and there was a cop sitting outside my room.

Trust me, I didn't give a rip what the doctor asked...

_Jinx_
04-16-2012, 08:42 AM
^So should I keep it? :/

The Tourist
04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
I can only speak for myself. However, I was more interested in getting my bearings and looking around the room than to engage in chit-chat.

BTW, I still see the doctor. Nice guy. He's Japanese and I sharpen Japanese knives for a living. We actually spend most of the time telling jokes, with him buying knives for his mother.

Let's face it, if someone gets banged on the head, they are not thinking as clearly as a writier sitting in front of a computer screen.

_Jinx_
04-16-2012, 08:59 AM
^Thanks (btw check your PM)

Kenn
04-16-2012, 01:18 PM
Mika looked at his ID tag that was on his shirt. She only got a glimpse of it but she knew it had to be staff at the hospital. After a few moments a lot of questions came to mind…
“Excuse me… uh… Why am I here… what happened to me?” she asked. The man looked over towards her.
“Good question… according to police you were found in a car that had crashed into a tree. You suffered a head injury we still need to do an MRI. However when you’re up to it we need you to take a test to determine the state of your mind.” replied the Doctor.
Jinx, a couple of points. The second sentence says the ID was staff at the hospital (it does not make sense). Why not just say she knew she was in hospital.

The first words of a doctor (I imagine) would relate to her condition. He might just say something like 'road accident' and 'bang on the head'. Only if she asked more, might he elaborate. His second sentence needs an 'and' after 'we'. I don't think his last sentence is reasonable because it might panic the patient. He'd be more likely to say something along the lines of 'to make sure everything's okay'.

Only my views, of course.

PS Perhaps in some countries, he might be more interested in finding out her credit card number or if she had health insurance:D

jclarkdawe
04-16-2012, 03:47 PM
Well here is what I have now...
Originally Posted by My Story (excerpt)
“Good question… according to police you were found in a car that had crashed into a tree. You suffered a head injury we still need to do an MRI. However when you’re up to it we need you to take a test to determine the state of your mind.” replied the Doctor.I was an EMT for many years. I doubt a doctor would say the emphasized portion.

After an accident, you start testing for mental functioning immediately, but it's subtle on the patient's part. For example, you might repeat a question, looking to see whether the patient is being consistent. You look for long-term memory by asking questions designed to reach into that part of the brain. For example, the question, "Have you ever hit your head before?" provides both a medically relevant fact (repetitive concussion issues), it requires the patient to search their brain for their medical history.

You search short-term memory with simple tests like remembering three words. You watch how they think through answers.

The whole idea early in the process is to calm down the patient. If the patient asks about their memory or broken bones, you answer honestly, but you don't bring up the subject any more then you have to. Initially, your job is to reduce worries.

To be honest, your line reads more like it's to inform the reader that something is screwed up with Mikka mentally then anything else.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

blackrose602
04-18-2012, 03:36 AM
I agree with Jim. I can't speak from personal experience on medical floors, but I spent quite a few years working in residential psych facilities. We always made it a point to avoid "clinical language" when talking to clients--the revolving door people who kept coming back knew all the lingo, but our job was to keep things as stress-free as possible. So we went out of our way to calmly gather the information we needed while remaining casual and natural with the clients.

My instinct would be for the doctor to say something along the lines of "You banged your head a bit when your car hit a tree. But don't worry, we're going to take great care of you." (obviously wording will vary depending on the doctor's general disposition/bedside manner). Then he'll chat lightly with her, all the while looking for clues, as Jim mentioned, in how she answers questions/remembers facts.

thothguard51
04-18-2012, 04:00 AM
"Is there someone you want us to call," is a question that would be asked. Like Jim says, it severs multiple reasons for asking...

ArtsyAmy
04-20-2012, 01:59 AM
You might want to do a search for "oriented x 3." This is a basic test a doctor might give to see how oriented someone is--asks what's your name, do you know where you are, do you know today's date.

Amber Nae
05-15-2012, 09:14 AM
ArtsyAmy is correct. Im a nurse, not a doctor but we assess our patients the same way. You always make sure the patient is "oriented x3", the 3 accounting for place, time, and name. You may ask what year it is, most of the time I don't know the date. Haha. If they don't know where they are you may wanna ask if they remember the last place they are. Most doctors do not wear a name tag where I work, they may have a lab coat with their name stitched on the pocket though. Doctors are going to try and keep the patient as calm as they can, they wouldn't want them upset so they're usually vague until they know for sure. If a patient asks them a question directly then they will answer honestly and to the best of their knowledge, but unless they're sure they're not going to pretend to know. (because of lawsuits and the like) They would have already done an MRI, they may be going to do a second one if it's some time later though.