PDA

View Full Version : Looking for teaching opportunities

sunandshadow
04-16-2012, 12:24 AM
I didn't know which subforum fit this question best, so if a mod thinks there is a better fit, please move it. :) But being a teacher of a small group is sort of like being a mentor, and mentoring seems on topic here, so...

Recently I've taught two free online classes. One was about character design (the drawing kind, not the writing kind), and the other was a survey of history of writing theory from Aristotle to the present. I really enjoyed this kind of teaching and am also interested in using teaching to generate material for writing a non-fiction book about writing theory. I've also in the past mentored someone through learning how to use Dramatica, and that was fun too although I prefer teaching a group to an individual. I have a few other relevant teaching experiences too - posting lecture, essays, and assignments for a group with a focus on writing for videogames, and assorted one-on-one and small group art lessons.

There are two problems with this activity of teaching, though. The big one is that I'd like to find an existing group where there are a lot of members looking to take classes about writing topics, because so far I've only been getting people that just happen to see my class being offered or whatever recruiting I do myself. I put the work into preparing the curriculum and answering students' questions, it shouldn't also be my job to go out and find students. I want to teach at some online community where students already are gathering to be taught.

Second, less important, I don't mind teaching for free now but I'd really like to be doing so in a venue that has a mix of free and paid classes so that if I build up a good reputation I can in the future try offering a paid class or paid one-on-one work and see if anyone actually signs up.

So, can anyone recommend an online forum or other community where other people are already teaching writing classes and I can also offer a class? Preferably without needing to go through a complex application process to get the community owners' permission, because that's even more work that recruiting my own students, and I'm not willing to do serious paperwork when I'm not getting paid.

BarbaraSheridan
04-16-2012, 02:14 AM
I'm as far from being teacher material as one can get but I've taken a few courses and off the top of my head I'd say look at Savvy Authors (http://www.savvyauthors.com/vb/content.php) and I think Writers Digest does online webinars and such. You can probably also contact various RWA chapters. I imagine the authors who do those email workshops get something out of the deal.

Also look into Pennwriters (http://www.pennwriters.org)you might be able to get an in person or conference workshop. I think the 2013 PW conference will be back here in Pittsburgh.

sunandshadow
04-16-2012, 05:10 AM
Oh dear. o.O I tried to look at the savvy authors link and got a virus/malware warning. Pennwriters is an interesting possibility, though I imagine I would have to wait until the 2012 conference was over before contacting anyone about the 2013 one. They seem like they'd be overly picky about qualifications, but who knows.

BarbaraSheridan
04-16-2012, 07:40 AM
Oh dear. o.O I tried to look at the savvy authors link and got a virus/malware warning. Pennwriters is an interesting possibility, though I imagine I would have to wait until the 2012 conference was over before contacting anyone about the 2013 one. They seem like they'd be overly picky about qualifications, but who knows.

I think Savvy Authors is just giving a false malware thing for some reason. Maybe try a different browser?

Pennwriters has the different chapters active all year long so, depending on if you wanted to travel a bit you might be able to do a chapter workshop before the next conference rolls around in '13. I haven't belonged for a few years so I don't know how active the Greater Pgh area is lately.

sunandshadow
04-16-2012, 08:07 AM
It's google that's reporting savvy authors as having a malware problem, probably from a second party. Here's the diagnostic page, though I'm not 100% sure this will work to link:
http://www.google.com/safebrowsing/diagnostic?site=http://www.savvyauthors.com/&hl=en