PDA

View Full Version : Article Writer Needed for Startup 70% of Donations Goto Writers

dizzymag
04-15-2012, 11:43 PM
DizzyMag is a Pay-What-You-Want online news magazine startup, that is looking for writers to write about all types of subjects, including: Science & Tech, Politics & Society, Food & Drink, Arts & Lit, Business, and Home & Garden.

Requirements:
Deadlines will be approximately every two weeks. Most stories will require a photograph or more, taken by the writer. Writers need to be able to pitch pieces they would like to write about approx. 3 times a week.

Preferred Writers Will Be:
- Highly-motivated; Is writing more of what you are, than just what you do?
- Erudite; Can you write prose that are sophisticated and lucid?
- Cosmopolitan; Do you care about more than your own little place in the world?
- Fair; Are you interested in writing more than yellow journalism?
- Determined; Are you willing to write for possibly little or no pay? (see below)
- Creative; Can you come up with something interesting to write about, without being hounded?

Payment:
Writers will be paid through reader donations: 70% goes to the writers.

If you are interested, please send your resume and some sample pieces (in PDF, RTF, or TXT formats) to contact@dizzymag.com. Also, specify any preference in subjects listed above.

Silver King
04-16-2012, 03:09 AM
...Are you willing to write for possibly little or no pay?

...Payment:
Writers will be paid through reader donations: 70% goes to the writers.
Besides being quite vague, the 70% you refer to sounds like it amounts to hardly anything to nothing at all.

Since this is the Paying Markets room, you need to be more specific and list the actual dollar amount, or at least a range, that writers can expect to be paid for their work.

Unimportant
04-16-2012, 05:22 AM
I'd also help to know what rights you are buying, for both the prose and the images.

dizzymag
04-16-2012, 06:08 AM
Besides being quite vague, the 70% you refer to sounds like it amounts to hardly anything to nothing at all.

Since this is the Paying Markets room, you need to be more specific and list the actual dollar amount, or at least a range, that writers can expect to be paid for their work.

Not sure what is vague. The writer will get 70% of whatever the reader feels the content it worth.

If you think this thread does not belong in the Paying Markers room, please move it to the Non-Paying Markets room.

dizzymag
04-16-2012, 06:09 AM
I'd also help to know what rights you are buying, for both the prose and the images.

Not buying any rights. All rights stay with the writer.

thothguard51
04-16-2012, 06:39 AM
Not sure what is vague. The writer will get 70% of whatever the reader feels the content it worth.

If you think this thread does not belong in the Paying Markers room, please move it to the Non-Paying Markets room.

If you don't understand what is vague then I doubt you have much experience in publishing.

For instance, is that 70% net or 70% total donations? Is that 70% divided between all the writers, or just the writer for that particular article?

And as to rights, if you don't buy the rights to publish, even limited rights, then you are setting yourself up for a possible lawsuit. Bet you haven't run that one by a copyright lawyer...

Old Hack
04-16-2012, 10:22 AM
Not buying any rights. All rights stay with the writer.

If all rights stay with the writer, then you won't have the rights to publish anything.

You need to read up on copyright and rights licensing before you go any further.

dizzymag
04-16-2012, 06:23 PM
If all rights stay with the writer, then you won't have the rights to publish anything.

You need to read up on copyright and rights licensing before you go any further.

You are probably right. I am a computer scientist by trade, and this is my first jaunt into the writing world.

dizzymag
04-16-2012, 06:25 PM
If you don't understand what is vague then I doubt you have much experience in publishing.

For instance, is that 70% net or 70% total donations? Is that 70% divided between all the writers, or just the writer for that particular article?

And as to rights, if you don't buy the rights to publish, even limited rights, then you are setting yourself up for a possible lawsuit. Bet you haven't run that one by a copyright lawyer...

It is 70% gross donations to the individual writer, not a particular article. If a reader "Subscribes" by paying a monthly fee (of their choosing), it would be divided between all writers.

Bartholomew
04-16-2012, 09:50 PM
Ah. That's much clearer. Thank you.

Old Hack
04-17-2012, 12:28 AM
You are probably right. I am a computer scientist by trade, and this is my first jaunt into the writing world.

You really need to understand these things if you're offering to publish other writers' works. Copyright and rights licensing isn't something you can take a stab at and hope you get right: you could end up in deep trouble if you get these things wrong.

What does the contract you're offering to your writers say? Have you had it written by, or at least checked by, an IP lawyer to make sure you're not going to get into trouble later along the road?

thothguard51
04-17-2012, 12:40 AM
If you are a computer geek by trade, then you understand intellectual property rights are very much in need of protecting.

What is to stop a writer from posting on your site, the work of another published author. How will you protect yourself from this, and if you don't think it happens, it does, all the time, even on Amazon...

liter8media
04-17-2012, 08:37 AM
I personally understand all of the risks that above posters have mentioned, but I just have to say that I'm willing to take a shot. Just emailed in my application, and cannot wait to hear back from you.

Thanks!!!

dizzymag
04-17-2012, 08:07 PM
If you are a computer geek by trade, then you understand intellectual property rights are very much in need of protecting.

What is to stop a writer from posting on your site, the work of another published author. How will you protect yourself from this, and if you don't think it happens, it does, all the time, even on Amazon...

Do you know of any resources that I might use, to learn how to protect myself in those situations?

Thanks