Write It More Wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Soooo, I know there's a couple of us who missed out on the March Write It Wrong adventure, and perhaps maybe a couple who actually like, enjoyed participating or something and want to do it again... shall we start considering another one?

Ideas on rules to break? (I don't think I should come up with any because I'll pick the ones I always break anyway, haha.)

Last edited:

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
I've got a germ of an idea for an alternate parallel universe story. I think that falls under the Write It Wrong(er), just because that type of story has been done to death. In this alternate parallel universe, beating a dead horse actually brings it to back to life :D

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Woohoo! A couple people! Good start! No worries, Honey Badger, I'll give being the boss a shot (with due credit to you as the one who came up with the idea, of course ;) )... at the very least it should mean I don't forget about it this time! (should). I should probably come back when I'm not kinda tipsy on red wine, but, cool!

A story that's been done to death? Cool, sounds like a rule to me! :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Here are a few Rules by Famous Writers, for ideas of what we wanna break:

George Orwell

1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.

Elmore Leonard (selected-- we already used about half of his 'rules' as 'rules to break')

6. Never use the words "suddenly" or "all hell broke loose."
7. Use regional dialect, patois, sparingly.
8. Avoid detailed descriptions of characters.
9. Don't go into great detail describing places and things.
10. Try to leave out the part that readers tend to skip.

(now I'm going from a collection of various writers giving their own Ten Rules for Writing, from the Guardian... I don't know who some of these people are, but they seem to think they know what they're talking about, anyway... (do have a look at this big list, too, I'm kinda picking at random, ie, stuff III want to break...) ).

(Jonathan Franzen)
3. Never use the word "then" as a conjunction – we have "and" for this purpose. Substituting "then" is the lazy or tone-deaf writer's non-solution to the problem of too many "ands" on the page.
4. Write in the third person unless a really distinctive first-person voice offers itself irresistibly.
9. Interesting verbs are seldom very interesting.

(grr, a lot of these writers advise NOT to stress too much about following rules... not helpful, guys!)

(Michael Moorcock)
8 If possible have something going on while you have your characters delivering exposition or philosophising. This helps retain dramatic tension.

(Zadie Smith)
4. Avoid your weaknesses.

Hmm, I thought that would be easier. Too much good advice out there these days. Anyway, a bit of inspiration! What appeals?

archerjoe

Registered
Reaction score
Another cardinal rule: don't explain things for the reader's sake. I read a short western novella where the author wrote something along the lines of:

Jake hurried to his mountain hideout. It was better to go there instead of going back to the ranch because the outlaws would probably set a trap along the way.

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I think everyone ought to write a 2nd-person-future story that's an infodump.

Or, maybe I just will. For fun.

(Also seriously, if you've never written a sonnet before? It's actually wicked fun.)

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wheee.

Things I like for possible rules:

--Must do something (theme, archetype, element) that is done to death (vampires, chosen one, hardboiled hard-drinkin' maverick detective)
--At least x (large) amount must be infodump and/or description
--Do not write in third person
--Must use butt-ton of adverbs, of which three must be "suddenly"
--Some kinda length restriction

Maybe other stuff too. I like all of it. Whatevs. Just throwing stuff out there. :D

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Love it!!

So, a first draft of rules? :

1. Must centre on a cliche character, situation, and/or theme
2. At least half total word count (half? more? less?) must be infodump and/or description
3. Must NOT be written in third person.
4. Must use adverbs whenever possible, including a mandatory 3 'suddenly's
5. Must be... I don't know... under 1000 words?
And, bonus points if you include a sonnet. :p

Critiques? :)

KellyAssauer

The Anti-Magdalene
Registered
Reaction score
*not making Wrong suggestions, but for those of you that enjoy a quick and odd exercise: write 25 words or more, no punctuation, no caps, last word should always be 'because' and post it here.

I could do this every morning, just to kick start my process... ;)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
YEAH! Okay, so, I'm just going to go and dicate that it has to be between 800-1000 words, at least 1/3 of which must be info-dump and/or description.

Thoughts on deadlines? Is end of April too soon? Is end of May too late? (I'm not a very good dictator, really).

Oh yes and how about being anonymous vs. not? If we like anonymous I'm cool with being in charge of that this time, and if we don't, sure, whatever.

P. S. Thanks Kelly, looks like a fun little challenge! :)

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thoughts on deadlines? Is end of April too soon? NO Is end of May too late? YEAH (I'm not a very good dictator, really). You are shitty at it and I like it

Oh yes and how about being anonymous vs. not? I have no all-caps opinions on this whatsoever; whatever's easiest. If we like anonymous I'm cool with being in charge of that this time, and if we don't, sure, whatever.

:D

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
COOL! Taking the first opinion through the gate suits my half-hearted dictatorship just fine!

END OF APRIL! :D

Since this contest is all about rules, anonymous-ness shall not be a rule. If you want to be anonymous send them to me and I shall post them all May 1; if you don't care, post it yourself in the thread I shall go and start. :)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
I'm going to be a pest and remind everyone here too. A couple more days, fellas! :)

(Also, I'm proud of this poster I whipped up in 30 seconds. )

did+you.jpg

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I am proud of your poster, too!

Also I am thankful for the reminder.

Who woulda thought artsy writer nerds are sometimes poor executive functioners?

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Excellent, thank you. War Bonds posters are good for all occasions.

Yeah, I figured we're the kind of people who'd be totally on top of stuff like this (I know I am), but, well, a bit of a reminder is good in the off-chance it briefly slipped someone's mind.

Plus I'm procrastinating.

kuwisdelu

Revolutionize the World
Registered
Reaction score
Man, I have to choose the cliche situation/character/thing on my own?

That's harddd.

Status
Not open for further replies.