• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

"Fish out of water" comedies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kindness

Back From My Self-Imposed Exile
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.boyvsworld.blogspot.com
"Luke is a boy who hates girls because of some bad experiences he's had in the past. His father thinks that the only way for him to get over this hatred is for him to be exposed to girls, so -- when an all-girl's school decides to go co-ed -- he's sent there to join up. He winds up being one of a very small number of boys who start attending the school that September."

Okay, so this is a random premise I came up with off the top of my head. If I were to turn this into a story, would I need to add a plot of some sort? Or would it be fine to make it "plotless", so that the story unfolds in a series of conflicts, with the only unifying idea being Luke's character/emotional/relational development?

This isn't something I intend to write, but I'm trying to learn what to do with premises like these. I have some other ideas that are like this except I aim to make them comedic. I'm not sure if they'd be "acceptable" or "marketable", though :p

But then again... shouldn't comedies be about the comedy? So as long as I make readers laugh, the plot is secondary... right?

Swordfish

Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if a story like that, or really any story, can thrive without a central plot surrounding it. You can still have plenty of comedy and humorous situations because of where your character is, but have it be centered around something the MC is trying to achieve or overcome.

amschilling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amschilling.com
I have to agree with Swordfish. You don't necessarily need a huge, "save the world" kind of plot, but a story needs to be about something. If he starts the book hating girls, and ends the book that way...well, why did I read it?

But if he ends the book NOT hating girls, then you have a plot already: change.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
If you're interested in a fish-out-of-water comedy (a classic premise), then you're thinking on the right track and you could nail it down to make it more cogent. But all good stories need a plot, meaning a protagonist and an antagonist/antagonisitc force who opposes him/her and a main story goal. You could easily spin out a good plot from this premise.

Status
Not open for further replies.