"Broadly drawn" and other phrases writers probably shouldn't lose sleep over

HoneyBadger

terribly loud, emotionally distant
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
HYPOTHETICALLY, if I were one to obsess over probable form rejections, what does "your novel is a little too broadly drawn for me to see its commercial appeal" mean?

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
HYPOTHETICALLY, if I were one to obsess over probable form rejections, what does "your novel is a little too broadly drawn for me to see its commercial appeal" mean?

Hmmmm.

Not intimate enough? Conflicts not concrete and personal enough?

Heck if I know.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
This is the first R that I'm scratching my head over.

I suppose, based on the first 3 chapters (this was from a query w/ requested full attached and the agent has a really high no-reply rate, so I really can't tell if it's a personalized or form R), it could mean "stereotypical," which isn't too far off-base, as the3 MCs are written (wisely or not, we'll see) to be archetypal on the surface.

Ah, well. Such is the life!

(It occurs to me this is probably better off in R&D.)

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
That....is an interesting one. Broadly drawn is one of those phrases I've heard and might use, but when called upon to define, especially in this context, I scratched my head. Maybe they feel the novel should have had a narrower focus on certain factors? Been more specific?

That's my best shot. Not a great shot, I know.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps the agent is saying you gloss over details, and tend to only show the big picture?

That's just a guess.

RKLipman

Seasoned Veteran of Lurking
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ricklipman.com
Honestly, I have no clue.

Sorry I can't help more, but you're not the only one who would find that baffling.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Yeah... Makes me kind of like the "I didn't connect with your xyz," form more.

Also I read it like 6 times to make sure he didn't say "badly drawn." I hardly included ANY pictures! ;)

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Hmmm... too much 'big picture', not enough little details, maybe? Not connected to the characters enough? Toooo "high concept"? I have no idea, just a couple more guesses to toss in, haha. I wouldn't obsess over it, it's rather broadly drawn feedback.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
it's rather broadly drawn feedback.

:ROFL: I know. It's like, THIS is why agents do no-reply-means-no. If I was a less stable woman, I'd probably respond all, "LOL WAT UR MOM'S FACE IS BROADLY DRAWN," but, alas. I'm reasonably well-adjusted and would never reply to an R.

It was nice to get a reply at all, though!

flapperphilosopher

Registered
Reaction score
Website
annakrentz.blogspot.ca
Hahaha, doesn't it sometimes seem like it would be fuuun to be the kind of person who just flips out? Damn stability and professionalism!

Also I agree it makes you a bit crazy when you aren't sure whether/how much of a rejection is form. I'm totally not overthinking one of mine... ;)

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
This is the first R that I'm scratching my head over.

I suppose, based on the first 3 chapters (this was from a query w/ requested full attached and the agent has a really high no-reply rate, so I really can't tell if it's a personalized or form R), it could mean "stereotypical," which isn't too far off-base, as the3 MCs are written (wisely or not, we'll see) to be archetypal on the surface.

Ah, well. Such is the life!

(It occurs to me this is probably better off in R&D.)
yeah, i think it's badagentspeak for stereotypical.

bad, because she/ he would be better off saying too narrow for commercial appeal.

broadly drawn is the bread n butter of commercially viable novels.

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

"Your novel's a little too commercially appealing for it to be commercially appealing. Better luck next time!"

I'm gonna pretend that's what it means.

But, like, I'm kinda thinking that this is a nice, albeit cryptic rejection. Like, the problem isn't with basic mechanics, but crafty-things.

OR it doesn't mean anything more than "it's not right for me, but thanks!"

:D

GingerGunlock

paralibrarian
Registered
Reaction score
Website
authorizedmusings.blogspot.com
I was kind of thinking the same thing.

"Your novel's a little too commercially appealing for it to be commercially appealing. Better luck next time!"

I'm gonna pretend that's what it means.

But, like, I'm kinda thinking that this is a nice, albeit cryptic rejection. Like, the problem isn't with basic mechanics, but crafty-things.

OR it doesn't mean anything more than "it's not right for me, but thanks!"

:D

Maybe badagents need to feel dreadfully clever sometimes as well ;)

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
And since this thread is incredibly googleable when one searches for "too broadly drawn," (showing us how common a phrase it is... :Shrug:) let me just say this:

I am genuinely thankful for any and all feedback, and do not believe there's such an animal as a "badagent," especially not ones I query! I am extremely easy-going and pleasant to work with and will never call you at home to argue over revision notes.

Love,

H. Badger

twright

Registered
Reaction score

If I had to make an interpretation just based on that one sentence, I would guess that the agent is saying that the work does not fit closely enough with a particular genre to be successfully marketed in that genre.

Colossus

I reckon so.
Registered
Reaction score
With the number of agents and publishers peeing themselves over vampires right now, perhaps they meant you don't have enough undead in it.

Kidding, ...did you put in a target audience in with your proposal? Maybe they can't see who your story is aimed for....

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I dunno, man. It's just a book. Just plain old general, upmarket commercial fiction. It's for reading on airplanes and in book clubs and by men and by women. Maybe they went to college, maybe not. They're probably aged 20-45.

Like. People who buy books. Commercial fiction.

I betchya it all has a lot more to do with the word: caricature. Or it's a form, who knows? :D A... unique form.

Colossus

I reckon so.
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno, man. It's just a book. Just plain old general, upmarket commercial fiction. It's for reading on airplanes and in book clubs and by men and by women. Maybe they went to college, maybe not. They're probably aged 20-45.

Like. People who buy books. Commercial fiction.

I betchya it all has a lot more to do with the word: caricature. Or it's a form, who knows? :D A... unique form.

That's too specific.. ha, kidding.

Seriously, I had a great conversation with an agent who told me one of the best experiences he had as a writer was when he subbed an agent and had a general plan already in mind. The agent was impressed by his idea of a target audience and how to reach them. If the agent sent you this type of personal comment, it may be a signal to give them more of your idea of what you want this book to do other than "sell a lot of copies and make me a lot of money".

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Aw, shit, man. You think I don't know what I'm gonna banter about with Jon Stewart? You best think again.

But, seriously (I do know, though. It's going to be a hoot.), querying is going *shockingly* well. Like, to the point that I'm nervous that this is all a hoax of mythic proportions. The query's solid. It's the novel itself that the agent's worried about, for whatever reason, and that's cool. If it's not ready for the market, it's not ready for the market.

But, again, this was but one sentence that might be a form rejection. If I keep getting "too broadly drawn novel," then, boy. Then we've got ourselves a problem!

Thanks everyone!

Theo81

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.atrivialblogforseriouspeople.blogspot.com
At a guess (and one made having read the Q and the opening in SYW), I'd translate this as "I don't know who I'd sell it to".

You can't sell something to everybody. You need to identify your core market, sell it to them and work out from there.

Don't sweat it. Somebody else will know. :)

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I initially read it as "You don't focus enough on one character/set of circumstances." But clearly it's all open to interpretation.

You definitely have the right attitude. :)

HoneyBadger

Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Thanks!

Being cheerful is a fun way to live one's life, I think.

Now let's all talk about how "a little too..." anything really is just code for "someone else might like this just fine."

ios

Weirdo.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chiaroscurohouse.com

It is confusing.

It almost sounds like a note the agent dashed off without thinking too hard about it and so his/her message didn't get across.

Or perhaps it is purposeful and it is his/her version of a form rejection. That is, it's not really supposed to mean anything but be a wordy way to say "no" because sometimes people, in all walks of life, think being direct with the "no" is rude and dispiriting.

I dunno.

Jodi

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he means your novel (as he sees it) is vague in story (too broadly drawn) and not commercial enough to appeal to a bigger audience.