• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Buddy, mentor, group?

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlienGirl

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with focus and motivation, I also have a whole bunch of ideas. I know I can write and I like to write, I just need to focus on one thing at a time.

But I rarely get to focus, I'm very prone to procrastination, indecision, and I have to manage schoolwork with the writing. I'm serious about writing, at least more serious than the average person, but it recently struck me that my problem might be a lack of outside feedback and motivation. Unlike with school, there's no outside reason to write.

So what do I need - a group to join, a writing buddy, a writing mentor? Or should I get a beta buddy, even though I know first drafts aren't supposed to be betaed. But that's what everyone else here seems to be doing. I'm just looking for motivation, and someone else who also needs it. I don't know if a group would be right, because there's a lot going on there and I'm prone to getting distracted and procrastination as it is:Shrug: I'm not sure if a mentor would be better for this or a buddy, or how to go about getting either one.

Any help would be appreciated. I'd love to hear about the experiences of other motivationally challenged ppl:)

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds to me like you might benefit most from a writing buddy whose situation is similar to your own. You can establish a short-term goal ("This week I'm going to write for a total of 60 minutes. That's do-able even though I'm pretty busy, right?"), encourage your buddy toward his or her goal, share frustrations, and be accountable to one another.

Whether you exchange what you write is another matter. It seems unnecessary when your need at this point is motivation and accountability, rather than the feedback on quality of what you're writing. But if you can find a buddy, or a small group of buddies, who can both spur one another onward and offer input, that's even better. It's just asking more of each person, and there will always be some who think they can manage but will be wrong.

Maryn, who thinks there may be threads about this sort of thing

jennifer williams

Registered
Reaction score
I think we're all very prone to procrastination. But having a group, or even just a few writer friends, really do help in my opinion. I have two other writers who I chat with nearly everyday. It's great to talk to people who are going through the same things you are. I'll admit, it can still be pretty distracting. Especially when we start gossiping :) But it's also really helpful when we're stuck in a plot hole or trying out different ideas because other people's enthusiasm and opinions really motivate me to keep writing and finish it so I can share my story with them.

And it also helps that we have a word war every once in a while. Whether it's a daily goal each day for ourselves or just to see who could write the most in one hour. That's how I met my first writing buddy. :)

Jaegur

mmmm words.
Registered
Reaction score
I feel the same way you do, Aliengirl! I love writing, and my job is to drive for 7-9 hours a day, most of which is spent turning over new and old ideas. I get the burn to write, get home, and find netflix just sitting there on my computer like a long lost friend.

One thing I found that made me finish a short story, my first ever, was having a place in mind to submit it to while writing it. I actually submitted it last night, so who knows.

aoliver

Nocturnal Creature
Registered
Reaction score
It can be very hard to get going on one project...that's the point of having a creative mind--it's always moving, churning out new story ideas. Maybe try a beta reader, and see if maybe they'll read a few of your chapters, just to get started.

cjcurrie

Registered
Reaction score
It's kind of a habit. As much as it sucks – if it's something you want to do, you have to force yourself to do it every day. Eventually you don't get the burnout any more ... you just sail through the words and pages.

I've found one thing that helps me when I want to procrastinate: To post critiques in the SYW forum :D

Status
Not open for further replies.