BA in English

Serpent

Banned
Reaction score
I have to pick a major next year, and it might be English. I don't want to teach English, however. I would rather work in publicity or for movie or theatre companies doing promotional work, advertisement, etc. I'm curious to know what the AWers with BA in English are doing with it, and if they actually like where they are in their career, or if they regret it.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm doing 1st year studies for a BA, though my Major will be Creative Writing and not English... So I can't really help.

Although I think you'll get more responses elsewhere on AW (not sure exactly where though - sorry) - so maybe a mod will come along and move this thread where you might get more responses?

(I wouldn't recommend just starting the same thread in a bunch of places though - that's kind of frowned upon. Wait for a Mod. They're all-knowing, don'tcha know?)

Gretad08

Registered
Reaction score
I have a BA in English. For five years after college, I worked in financial sales. Now I'm a substitute teacher who is trying (desperately!) to get a job teaching at one of the high schools in my area. It's extremely competitive. I'm not thrilled that I don't have a full time job teaching, but it's not so bad.

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
A friend of my has a BA in English Lit and is doing billing at an optometrist's office.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I just remembered that a University or College should have a course guide of some sorts, which should have Potential Occupations listed for each Major.

I know I saw one when I was choosing my degree, but I just looked on my Uni's website and couldn't find it...

But if you were wondering what you might be qualified to do, a good place to start would be to get some pamphlets from your Uni/College, or set up an interview with a Career Counsellor, which your Uni/College should have on staff somewhere.

Hope that helps. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
It should be noted that the original poster has been banned from AW. He won't be back to respond, but the discussion is free to continue without him.

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It should be noted that the original poster has been banned from AW. He won't be back to respond, but the discussion is free to continue without him.

Ah. I just saw that he was banned for being an incurable tosspot.

I hadn't realized that. I was responding to an incurable tosspot!

I wasted my breath on an incurable tosspot!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Continuing the conversation...

Would a BA in Creative Writing hold any clout when approaching agents/publishers with a novel?
It couldn't hurt, I imagine; but it won't help them get past the first few pages if the novel is poorly written.
...I was responding to an incurable tosspot!

I wasted my breath on an incurable tosspot!
You probably feel the same way about me every time we cross paths, so you should be used to it by now.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Well, yeah, if the story isn't written well it won't give you much chance.

But I was thinking more like, "Oh, he has a BA in Creative Writing..." helping out when they're deciding between you and someone else for their limited slots...

Probably a long shot.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
That sometimes happens when people stumble into the politics forum with guns blazing.

Cliff Face said:
Would a BA in Creative Writing hold any clout when approaching agents/publishers with a novel?

Not really. If your writing holds promise, what you majored in or whether you even graduated from high school is pretty much irrelevant.

And by the same token, if your writing doesn't spark someone's interest, your major or educational level is going to be meaningless to them.

But you can learn a lot about the craft of writing by majoring in creative writing. Just don't expect it to be a step toward getting a novel published.

Deleted member 42

Well, yeah, if the story isn't written well it won't give you much chance.

But I was thinking more like, "Oh, he has a BA in Creative Writing..." helping out when they're deciding between you and someone else for their limited slots...

Probably a long shot.

No, it really won't help.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That's what I expected...

However, a BA in English or Creative Writing might help get a job as an editor or somesuch, right?

Sorry, just panicking over the fact that I may not improve my chances of getting money with my chosen Major...

narmowen

Lost in the woods
Registered
Reaction score
Just having the degree won't get you squat. You need experience in whatever you want to do. You want to be an editor? Get relateable experience. The degree will help, but it's the experience that will be the crux.

jr0127

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished up my BA in English and have been working in the music business in marketing, producing, and consultation for over five years. When you're working on pitches your major will absolutely come in handy, you have to learn how to be very clever and clear your pitches and hook executives within the first few lines. Many people in both the music and film industries struggle to do that.