April 2012 Flash Fiction Challenge!

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the April Flash Fortnight!

The April Flash Fortnight will run from Saturday 14th April (Day 1) to Friday 27th April (Day 14). Each morning during the challenge, I'll update this post with a new prompt for the day, so please check back if you find them useful! All of the challenge prompts will remain permanently available to you, so if you'd like to use any of them outside of the Fortnight, please feel free to do so.

Prompts

Day 14 : Fishing.
Day 13 : Outside. (This is the theme for an upcoming issue of 5x5. Deadline: 1 August 2012)
Day 12 : Blaming your tools.
Day 11 : The demon chef.
Day 10 : Personal ad.
Day 9 : An interesting sideline.
Day 8 : Dangerously lucky.
Day 7 : Amazing new taste.
Day 6 : Strange anatomy.
Day 5 : The broken machine in the coffee room.
Day 4 : Believable.
Day 3 : Overthrow.
Day 2 : Insider.
Day 1 : Backwards. (This is the theme for an upcoming issue of 5x5. Deadline: 1 May 2012)

Tips on using the prompts

Think of the prompt as a starting point. When you look at it, certain words, phrases or ideas might immediately come to your mind. Try writing these down. For each of these things, consider what words, phrases or ideas that they, in turn, inspire.

Keep going in this way. You could free associate on the thoughts you're getting, or ask yourself questions on each thing: What is it about this that I'm drawn to? What would happen if I followed this train of thought to its logical conclusion?

Try not to censor yourself, or second-guess your imagination. In the end, the idea you end up with might be completely unrelated to the prompt - and that's completely fine!

Good luck!

Last edited: