• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

One misconception I discovered and one question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yukinara

The Exile
Registered
Reaction score
When I started writing, because my first language is not English, I picked up a sci-fi book to read for reference about writing style.

And I got In her name: Empire by Michael R Hicks. The book is really good. I like the story and all but when I see his writing style, I was like "Holy cow, I need to write like that to be a best seller?"

So I tried to imitate his style but.....as you expect, it came out ALL wrong. My sentence structure is weird, stilted dialogues, etc. Some people commented that my normal writing style is ok, why it is so different when I write the book.

And then I look back at my book. Well, yeah, it is surely different and I ask myself why did I have to force writing like that?

And it all change when I read Rick Riordan's book.

To my surprise, the way he wrote the book is pretty simple. I don't see flowery descriptions, purple proses or dramatic dialogues. The sentences flow very well and I really enjoy the book. After that I look back at my book and think "what the hell I'm writing all the time?" I don't say I'm on the level of a best-selling author but I think, yes, I can definitely write like that. At least, my English is good enough to understand everything he wrote.

So I changed...for the better. It still takes a lot of time but now I'm more positive.

And my question: when you edit/rewrite your book, how far do you go? For each chapter, I found out that I rewrote nearly 80% and every time I read again, I found more ways to improve it. I feel that it becomes better and better over the time but I'm not sure it that is a false feeling. On the other hand, I don't want to keep fixing it because the story won't go anywhere if it keeps staying on my computer. It has to go out so that other people can read it.
So what do you think?

Justin SR

Registered
Reaction score
I don't quite know what the question is. I feel like I can hear an accent in writing, though. That is, I am pretty good at being able to tell when someone's writing outside of their native language.

Oh, I see the question. I rewrite a ton. Usually my story is pretty good grammar wise, but kind of disorganized and not as entertaining as it should be.

JQTrotter

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jacquelinetrotter.wordpress.com
And my question: when you edit/rewrite your book, how far do you go? For each chapter, I found out that I rewrote nearly 80% and every time I read again, I found more ways to improve it. I feel that it becomes better and better over the time but I'm not sure it that is a false feeling. On the other hand, I don't want to keep fixing it because the story won't go anywhere if it keeps staying on my computer. It has to go out so that other people can read it.
So what do you think?

I always change something when I re-read my story. If I feel my story needs extensive editing then I'll be changing at least 80% of what's in it. But if you think that it's at a good enough stage, then you should let someone else read your story. Then they can give you their opinion, and help guide you to what really needs to be changed in your story and what can stay the same.

Carradee

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mistiwolanski.com
I tend to edit as I go, so my first "complete" draft is usually pretty darn close to the final.

Unless I write a novel outline that's masquerading as a novelette. I'm prone to those.

CheshireGrin

Registered
Reaction score
I write in layers (which is weird). First I lay down the bones (outline) then I add the muscle (rewrite) and finally I sew the flesh together (final), but I have to make myself stop rewriting. I rewrote one of my novels six times, thinking I could make it better, but my friend made me stop. It was becoming too much in description, etc, like some horrid monster I kept feeding miracle grow to ;) We all have our different ways of doing things, but I noticed, as I have been writing for a long time, that I usually only have to do two to three drafts before I believe I've nailed it (at least I hope that I have).

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
You re-write until it's as good as you can make it.

And if it's your first serious book, then you probably will have to re-write it extensively. And it's a good sign, if you do, because it means you are learning a lot, and fast. Be proud of yourself!

Susan Coffin

Tell it like it Is
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.strokingthepen.com
So what do you think?

Thank you for sharing your writing experience. As for editing- I am trying to learn to edit as I go along so that I can produce a near finished product by the end of the first draft. It really is a learning process.

tnichole

tnichole
Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on a book for a couple years and still only have a few chapters because all I do is reread it and want to edit it and I just end up giving up- it just never seems good enough. So this time around I'm going to try to stop rewriting and editing so much. I kind of feel like the reason I edit so much, though, is that I'm young, and I started writing it while I was even younger, and as I mature my writing skills do too. It's a little inconvenient but it's something I was hoping to learn about too when I joined this forum, so I'm glad you brought it up. Thanks!

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
Percentage-wise I'm guessing I change about 05-10% while rewriting and It's mostly changing words or restructuring sentences to flow better.

However, right now I'm contemplating merging two characters I have into just one character (because I realized they are both minor characters and it would make more sense if I just gave all those scenes to one character instead and eliminated the other. The best part is, they even look alike and are both in the same age group!) And if I decide to go through with this, I feel like I'm going to be re-writing my butt off for the next few days!

I'm still contemplating it...

dangerousbill

Retired Illuminatus
Registered
Reaction score
And my question: when you edit/rewrite your book, how far do you go? For each chapter, I found out that I rewrote nearly 80% and every time I read again, I found more ways to improve it. I feel that it becomes better and better over the time but I'm not sure it that is a false feeling.

Eventually, you reach a point where edits no longer help, they just make the work different, or even make it worse. In particular, too much reworking makes the prose dry and crumbly, like bread dough that's been kneaded too long.

The art is in knowing when to stop editing.

lolchemist

Shooting stars.
Registered
Reaction score
The art is in knowing when to stop editing.

Did you ever see that Will Smith movie, Six Degrees of Separation? In it, an art dealer is talking about the artwork he used to see in his child's grade school class and he says:

"I remembered asking my kids' second-grade teacher: 'Why are all your students geniuses? Look at the first grade - blotches of green and black. The third grade - camouflage. But your grade, the second grade, Matisses, every one. You've made my child a Matisse. Let me study with you. Let me into the second grade. What is your secret?' (and she said) 'I don't have any secret. I just know when to take their drawings away from them.' "

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I write in layers (which is weird). First I lay down the bones (outline) then I add the muscle (rewrite) and finally I sew the flesh together (final), but I have to make myself stop rewriting.

This is pretty much what I do, except I would add a 'clean up' stage [print out the full MSS for a final [aloud] read through,] then a 'polish' using my e-reader.

TomGrimm

Registered
Reaction score
Just so you know, that's actually not weird. A lot of writers work that way.
I also write in that way, with the skeleton first, and then the muscles added to the rewrite (I nearly doubled the length of my current WIP strengthening the characters, world, plot, and style) and then a clean-up (because I nearly doubled the length of my current WIP) and after beta readers have had a look at it, taking their comments into consideration in one last final go through.

Status
Not open for further replies.