PDA

View Full Version : Petty crime for teens

McMich
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
I have a scenario where several teens (12-16) are arrested around the same time for various crimes. I am trying to think of non-violent (petty) crimes that they could get caught for. I hope to make it be individual- not group crimes and not involving anyone but the person caught- such as getting caught doing graffiti or here in ohio it is a crime to leave a running vehicle unattended. Anyone else have any more suggestions?
-story is set in the US- and not a specific city or state

Buffysquirrel
04-11-2012, 08:09 PM
I was just reading a news story about how in Texas you can go to court for infractions of school rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17664075

lbender
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
Shoplifting - may be petty if it's bubblegum or something else small. Urinating against a wall. Jaywalking.

Just the first few that spring to mind.

ironmikezero
04-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Underage drinking... there's no place in the US it doesn't happen...

backslashbaby
04-11-2012, 09:28 PM
Trespassing in a graveyard, etc, after hours, maybe. Jumping a fence or chain to get in somewhere that is illegal to be.

Public drunkenness? Or walking with an open container while underage. I had friends arrested for that on vacation, lol ;)

Lewd behavior/public nudity for getting it on in a car on a residental street or by an office building at night, etc.

MarkEsq
04-11-2012, 09:48 PM
I prosecute juvenile crimes, so I can come up with a few. :) Perhaps the most common are shop-lifting, possession of marijuana, and assault.

Mark G
04-11-2012, 09:51 PM
Breaking into a school and stealing stuff, vandalizing equipment.

Soccer Mom
04-11-2012, 10:14 PM
Vandalizing, fighting, truancy and trespassing are the most common things I see for kids. I'm also a juvenile prosecutor. Drinking, possession of paraphenalia or pot are also pretty common.

Soccer Mom
04-11-2012, 10:16 PM
I was just reading a news story about how in Texas you can go to court for infractions of school rules.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-17664075

That article isn't exactly accurate. You can't be sent to court for "infractions of school policies." We don't take cases on kids "wearing wrong colored belts" or stuff like that. Only if the behavior violates a criminal statute. Markesq and I both practice in Texas.

McMich
04-12-2012, 10:39 PM
thanks everyone. this gives me some good ideas.

Buffysquirrel
04-13-2012, 12:33 AM
That article isn't exactly accurate. You can't be sent to court for "infractions of school policies." We don't take cases on kids "wearing wrong colored belts" or stuff like that. Only if the behavior violates a criminal statute. Markesq and I both practice in Texas.

Doesn't surprise me if it's inaccurate. It did seem a tad extreme in places. Sorry you were misrepresented there :).