Conflicting Submission Guidelines

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
Sorry if this isn't the right place to ask this, but I couldn't really figure out where else to post it.

I'm going to be submitting a query letter to Jennifer Jackson of the Donald Maass Literary Agency. I went onto the Agency's website and it has this: You may include the first five pages of your manuscript and a short outline, if available.

Ms. Jackson's website says this: Start by sending a one-page query letter and SASE.

I'd hate to incur the wraith of an agent. Anyone know? Thanks.

matt

Cathy C

Ooo! Shiny new cover!
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cathyclamp.com
Always go with the most stringent and use the "if/then" process afterward. If you're submitting to Jennifer and she says query and SASE, do so. If you're querying Mr. Maass directly, and he doesn't say otherwise on his own page, then use the less stringent.Does that make sense?

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
Cathy C said:
Always go with the most stringent and use the "if/then" process afterward. If you're submitting to Jennifer and she says query and SASE, do so. If you're querying Mr. Maass directly, and he doesn't say otherwise on his own page, then use the less stringent.Does that make sense?

Thanks. That does make a lot of sense. Might just change my direction toward Mr. Maass isntead. First five pages are much better than just a synopsis me thinks.

Vanessa

Writer and Music Producer
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds as if the "You may include the first five pages..." is an option at the ageny's website. Ms Jackson has clearly stated what she specifically wants and since you are sending it to her, then I would follow her guidelines.
Hope this helps. Good luck!

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
When I subbed to the Don Maass agency last year I sent query letter + synopsis + first 5 pages.

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
Matt, I've gotten excellent response-time from Cameron McClure at the Donald Maass agency (responded to my e-query almost immediately). She handles fantasy and science fiction--and she's a newer agent, so she may be looking more actively for clients than either Jennifer or Don.

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
Excellent. Thanks for all the response folks! Sending 5 out at a time and since my list is at 20 (at the moment, its growing), whenever I get a rejection, another one goes in the mail.

DaveKuzminski

Preditors & Editors
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
anotherealm.com
Whoa! Slow down. You're missing a golden opportunity here by sending out to another agency immediately.

First off, you should wait until you receive back several rejections. Then you can look at the responses to determine if possibly the inquiry is to blame. If so, then you need to improve it where you can see a need. Then send out the new inquiry to the next five agents on your list.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Full manuscript request which ended up as a near miss rejection

mhughes

Profesionel Speelchecker
VPXIII
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mooseandink.com
DaveKuzminski said:
Whoa! Slow down. You're missing a golden opportunity here by sending out to another agency immediately.

First off, you should wait until you receive back several rejections. Then you can look at the responses to determine if possibly the inquiry is to blame. If so, then you need to improve it where you can see a need. Then send out the new inquiry to the next five agents on your list.

I knew that. It's even part of my notes since I read it somewhere else on this site. Not sure why I didn't say it before. Guess I was in a bit of a hurry to head out for a run before the weather went cruddy (incoming freezing rain, ugh). Thanks for reminding me.