PDA

View Full Version : Penumbra eMag accepting submissions - $.05 a word

Catadmin
04-11-2012, 04:39 AM
Penumbra eMag (a speculative fiction ezine by Musa Publishing) is accepting submissions for its future issues. Word count is 3000 or lower. Pay is 5 cents a word (pro rates, folks). Details on submission guidelines can be found at http://musapublishing.blogspot.com/p/penumbra.html.

The page is in the process of being updated, but the themes and deadlines (as I last heard them) are:

September – Native American Folklore (deadline April 30)
October – Edgar Allen Poe (deadline May 30)
November – Exploration (deadline June 30)
December – Utopia (deadline July 30)

Make sure to check the site regularly for the updates (coming sometime this week) to make sure that the themes and dates are still current. December's theme is the one I think might have changed. Deadlines printed in this post are based on what I know of the schedule and may change by a day or two in the months with 31 days, but I'm not entirely certain yet.

Disclaimer: I am an intern at Musa and yes, I'm pimping it for all I'm worth while I'm there.

Catadmin
04-11-2012, 02:31 PM
FYI: I got the wordcount wrong on the above post. It's 3000, not 3500.

EDIT: I guess it is 3500. Sorry for the misinformation.

Sai
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
It's easy to edit your post and correct the word count. Thanks for this! I do love Poe, so I'll have to see if I can come up with a story.

Catadmin
04-12-2012, 04:11 AM
GAH. I keep grabbing the wrong links today. Anyway, website is being updated as I type. I promise.

Jaegur
04-13-2012, 05:22 AM
For 'Native American Folklore', does this mean I find an old Native American tale and make it into a story?

Spy_on_the_Inside
04-13-2012, 08:37 AM
Can we submit more than one story for every prompt?

Catadmin
04-14-2012, 04:36 AM
For 'Native American Folklore', does this mean I find an old Native American tale and make it into a story?

You could do that, or you could use it as inspiration for a new and unique story. Check out the Shakespeare issue of Penumbra to see what some people did with the Shakespeare theme. http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/p/past-issues.html

Catadmin
04-14-2012, 04:37 AM

Sorry, but no. The guidelines specifically state that multiple submissions are not allowed.

defcon6000
04-14-2012, 07:20 AM
Sorry, but no. The guidelines specifically state that multiple submissions are not allowed.
I emailed you guys about this a couple months ago, and an assistant editor the acquisitions assistant (I don't know what that is) responded:

You can submit as many stories to us as you would like. What we don't want are stories that are submitted to other markets at the same time and the same story multiple times.Of course, I would only sub one entry to each prompt, but I assume we are allowed to sub to multiple prompts.

Catadmin
04-14-2012, 07:42 PM
You are definitely allowed to sub for multiple prompts.

As far as the multiple subs for one prompt, it is entirely possible the guidelines have changed since you last talked to the acquisitions assistant, or there are extenuating circumstances in your case that I'm unaware of. I don't want to contradict something you were told by someone before I joined Musa. But there are multiple people who do acquisitions work with Musa. When you submit, you will want to mention the details of this email conversation and the name of this assistant in your cover letter so you don't get an insta-reject.

Make sense?

defcon6000
04-15-2012, 04:02 AM
Yep, that makes sense. Thanks. :)

I'm sure she probably meant we could sub to all the prompts, which is technically multi-submission, but not in the same sense of subbing several stories for the same prompt.

Jaegur
04-15-2012, 05:47 AM
Ok, one more question and I'll be ready to start writing.

For the folktale, you guys want it in story form, yes? Odd question I know, but most of the tales I've read over recently are small lines simply telling the tale rather than showing it.

mscelina
04-15-2012, 06:04 AM

One story for each prompt only please. Thank you.

You are definitely allowed to sub for multiple prompts.

As far as the multiple subs for one prompt, it is entirely possible the guidelines have changed since you last talked to the acquisitions assistant, or there are extenuating circumstances in your case that I'm unaware of. I don't want to contradict something you were told by someone before I joined Musa. But there are multiple people who do acquisitions work with Musa. When you submit, you will want to mention the details of this email conversation and the name of this assistant in your cover letter so you don't get an insta-reject.

Make sense?

What you can do: submit a story for each themed issue.
What you can't do: send me fifteen stories for one theme.

Ok, one more question and I'll be ready to start writing.

For the folktale, you guys want it in story form, yes? Odd question I know, but most of the tales I've read over recently are small lines simply telling the tale rather than showing it.

I have no idea what you mean by this-- "small lines simply telling the tale rather than showing it"?

Use the theme we provide and write a speculative fiction story that falls within that theme. Your story needs to be between 500 and 3500 words. Our website has the specific call dates for each issue.

eternalised
04-15-2012, 11:31 AM
Just a small comment. In the first post, you mentioned the deadline for the Edgar Allen Poe submissions is May 30th, while on the website it says June 30th. :)

Gilead
04-15-2012, 02:36 PM
I have no idea what you mean by this-- "small lines simply telling the tale rather than showing it"?

There was once a greedy man called Fatty Marmoset whose favourite thing to do was devour pigs whole. One night he came upon a farm and, moving cautiously as he was afraid there might be guard dogs, clambered over...

And so on. Telling rather than showing, like that, I imagine.

Catadmin
04-15-2012, 07:26 PM
Just a small comment. In the first post, you mentioned the deadline for the Edgar Allen Poe submissions is May 30th, while on the website it says June 30th. :)

I was guessing on the deadlines in the first post because the website was a bit out of date. Go with what the website says, which gives you more time. @=)

Catadmin
04-15-2012, 07:32 PM
There was once a greedy man called Fatty Marmoset whose favourite thing to do was devour pigs whole. One night he came upon a farm and, moving cautiously as he was afraid there might be guard dogs, clambered over...

And so on. Telling rather than showing, like that, I imagine.

Telling verses showing is a writing style, not a story vs non-story. Still, as you write, consider which method has the most tension and suspense, and which method makes the story a better one?

You should always be submitting the best story you can possibly write, no matter who the publisher is. The style is entirely up to you. If you want to know what Penumbra is looking for, I suggest picking up a few issues so you can get an idea of what types of stories make it past the acquisitions team.

Bookewyrme
04-18-2012, 01:46 AM
Do you know when the November and December calls will be listed on the website? I'd like to know more about the themes. :)

Catadmin
04-18-2012, 05:33 PM
The website I gave above was from Musa's website. This website is Penumbra eMag specific and has more details about the topics. Note, November and December do not have deadlines yet because they haven't opened up.

http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/p/submissions.html

We'll get the Poe section corrected shortly so that both website links correctly reflect the same information on October.

Bookewyrme
04-19-2012, 09:57 PM
Excellent! Thank you Catadmin. That was exactly what I wanted. ^_^

Captim_Spaghetti
05-10-2012, 09:45 AM
Think I will prepare for the Exploration section

mscelina
05-10-2012, 10:04 AM
This link http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/p/submissions.html takes you directly to the submissions page that I personally update. I extended the deadline for the Edgar Allen Poe issue because of the sheer volume of subs I was getting for that issue. I mean...it's Poe, right? So I gave writers an extra month.

Sai
05-10-2012, 04:10 PM
This link http://penumbraezine.blogspot.com/p/submissions.html takes you directly to the submissions page that I personally update. I extended the deadline for the Edgar Allen Poe issue because of the sheer volume of subs I was getting for that issue. I mean...it's Poe, right? So I gave writers an extra month.

Thanks mscelina :). I don't have any solid ideas yet, but I really want to send in a story so I'll be thinking hard.