PDA

View Full Version : Cabin In The Woods

Celia Cyanide
04-10-2012, 02:33 PM
I saw it last night, and it was awesome! Such a fun movie, quite original, and quite clever. Is anyone else going to see it?

Jcomp
04-10-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm fairly interested. At first I thought the trailers had spoiled too much, but from what I've read and heard, there's even more to it than what the trailers suggest, so I think I might give it a try.

Grrarrgh
04-10-2012, 06:10 PM
I've been hearing about it for so long, but I haven't seen any trailers, so nothing's been spoiled. I'm definitely planning to see it.

thekingsguard
04-10-2012, 09:32 PM
Watching and reviewing it this Friday :D

Thump
04-10-2012, 09:42 PM
I saw it completely unspoiled, as on all I knew was the title and that Joss Whedon was involved. Definitely worth it. Also, awesome movie. It was sooooo satisfying on every level!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-11-2012, 03:24 AM
I really want to see it--it appears (per the tv ads) to contain a couple of nods to one of my favorite horror films (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead_(1981_film))--but, per Moviefone, it is not playing within a 50 mile radius of my home.

ETA: Silly me. On further investigation, I see it has not opened yet.

Celia Cyanide
04-11-2012, 05:49 AM
I'm fairly interested. At first I thought the trailers had spoiled too much, but from what I've read and heard, there's even more to it than what the trailers suggest, so I think I might give it a try.

I had seen the trailer before I watched it, and yes, there is much more to it than that.

I would recommend that you go into it knowing as little as possible. Just go with it!

Also, a word of warning...although reviews have been overwhelmingly positive, the few negative reviews have been spoiling the movie. So avoid those!

Rhoda Nightingale
04-11-2012, 03:25 PM
Definitely on the list. Joss Whedon is one of my favorite writers/producers, and Jodelle Ferland is one of my favorite up-and-coming horror actresses. Plus, the trailer put me in mind of a mashup of the original Evil Dead and Cube, but of which are huge selling points.

Manuel Royal
04-12-2012, 07:57 PM
Want to see it, but might have to wait for the DVD. Will try to remain, in this one thing, unspoiled.

Jehhillenberg
04-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Yah, I want to see this. :) Looks crazy, but in a good way. It's a perfect night too, being Friday 13th and all.

shawkins
04-14-2012, 09:26 PM
Just saw it--holy friggin CRAP was that a fun movie. Even if there were no more movies coming out, 2012 would already be a great year.

Highlight for humongous spoilers: I remember watching the finale of Buffy S4 and thinking 'this would probably be pretty cool if it had a budget and they could show gore.' Thanks, Joss! Also, show of hands: who knew the merman was going to eat the guy from West Wing? (More in the sense of pleasant anticipation than obvious and boring, I thought. And it SO did not disappoint. The bit where it blew blood out of its blowhole was frigging priceless.) Also, I stuck around through the credits (you never know). No actual footage, but it turns out that the guy with the circular saw blades in his head is named 'Fornicus, Lord of Bondage and Pain.' That alone was worth the ticket price.

I may go see it again tomorrow. God, that was awesome. Joss Whedon's face should be on Mt. Rushmore.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-15-2012, 08:02 AM
Wow. Still too fresh to say more, but it was not what I expected. And what a great thing that was. Tom Lenk is hilarious and the shot of him trapped where ever, writing frantic notes to the surveillence camera was great.

I loved Fran Kranz in Dollhouse and he of course stole the show here too.

Celia Cyanide
04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
Wow. Still too fresh to say more, but it was not what I expected. And what a great thing that was.

I know, right? That's the cool part, it's not what anyone expects. It's like the FIGHT CLUB of horror!

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-16-2012, 02:42 AM
Hopefully enough has been said so that this post is not too spoilery...

H.P.Lovecraft is really making a comeback into our horror (e.g., The Last Exorcism and now Cabin in the Woods), and after the last few years, can I just say how welcome that is?

Darkshore
04-16-2012, 07:47 AM
Amazing film. It felt like a trip into a writers head, at least if everyone writes similar to the way I do. :D And @Johnny I couldn't agree more.

Marumae
04-16-2012, 08:11 AM
Saw this today, TOTALLY was blown away by how damn fun it was. I was really, really suspicious of the claims to it's greatness, but when I found out Joss wrote it, I had to see it. Even if I don't always agree with where he takes his plots, I always find him to be a damn brilliant screenplay writer and dialogue writer. He did not disappoint. It was also nice to see a cameo from Fred as well and the dude from Dollhouse, was perhaps my favorite character.

Anyway, enough babble. Loved it.

thekingsguard
04-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Loved it (http://korsgaardscommentary.blogspot.com/2012/04/cabin-in-woods.html)! About my sole complaint was it wasn't scary - and given it was funny, clever, original and entertaining, I'll get my chills elsewhere - in the meantime, gonna watch this again!

J.S.F.
04-19-2012, 07:28 AM
Great movie! Turns the horror genre on its head and the performances were excellent, especially the stoner guy. Really unexpected ending. Definitely worth buying the DVD when it comes out.

nighttimer
04-20-2012, 08:58 AM
Saw it today with my son and nephew when we couldn't get to see The Raid.

Liked it a whole lot and it was very meta. I can see why after MGM went out of business this sat on the shelf for a while because apparently the Hollywood hotshots couldn't figure out to market this flick.

The ending was off-the-chain. :Wha:

NewKidOldKid
04-20-2012, 03:44 PM
I was disappointed. Not because the movie isn't good but because I was expecting horror and I ended up watching a comedy. I don't like comedies, and I especially don't like funny horrors, so this wasn't for me. It was clever, and the ending was unexpected, but I didn't love it.

mayqueen
04-20-2012, 04:24 PM
I thought it was funny and clever. Very entertaining. I love Joss Whedon. It did scare me a couple of times. I jumped.

But. I don't think it was as genre-defining as some of the reviews are saying. Maybe I watch too many horror movies (is that such a thing?). Regardless, I loved it, and I can't wait to watch it again now that I know what the big secret is.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2012, 04:39 PM
My husband said he wants to buy it when it comes out on DVD because he's heard such great things about it. I heard "horror" and grew weary, as I'm not a huge horror fan, but from what you folks are saying, it doesn't seem strictly horror. Is that the case?

Darkshore
04-20-2012, 04:46 PM
If you're one of those people that's always like "What! Why are those idiots going there! Doing that! Gaaah!" during horror movies, then it's totally for you. It's less of a "scare you in the face" kind of flick, but more of a "woah that just blew my mind."

Alpha Echo
04-20-2012, 04:52 PM
If you're one of those people that's always like "What! Why are those idiots going there! Doing that! Gaaah!" during horror movies, then it's totally for you. It's less of a "scare you in the face" kind of flick, but more of a "woah that just blew my mind."

The kind of horror films I don't like are the kind like Saw. If it's not similar to that kind of creepiness, I'm okay.

Though Seven is creepy as hell, and I love that movie. Perhaps because of the sort of "lessons" it teaches? I don't know.

Celia Cyanide
04-20-2012, 05:32 PM
Though Seven is creepy as hell, and I love that movie. Perhaps because of the sort of "lessons" it teaches? I don't know.

What do you mean by this? I was just curious, because I once talked to a woman who said the exact same thing about this movie, (horror is my thing, it is not hers) and it seemed that she and I had completely opposite interpretations of it.

As for CITA, it's hilarious. It's the funniest meta-horror movie Sam Raimi never made.

Alpha Echo
04-20-2012, 05:52 PM
What do you mean by this? I was just curious, because I once talked to a woman who said the exact same thing about this movie, (horror is my thing, it is not hers) and it seemed that she and I had completely opposite interpretations of it.

As for CITA, it's hilarious. It's the funniest meta-horror movie Sam Raimi never made.

I like funny.

I suppose with Seven, it takes the "seven deadliest sins" and sort of...it's like a fable. Or one of the horrible Japanese "fairy tales" I read to my daughter.

What makes them good is taking something and showing what bad can come of it.

Now, I'm not saying that a gluttonous man deserves to die or that a woman who spends her life making her body plastic in an attempt to save her youth and beauty deserves to be tortured and killed. I don't think that at all.

But the movie makes you think about those things in greater context of your life.

Lust - do I take my lusts too far? Do I extend them outside the relationship I'm in.

Gluttony - do I take anything in my life and horde it to the extreme? Food? Alcohol? Money?

Greed - am I greedy? This goes beyond money. What about power? Control? The seventy-five pairs of shoes in my closet? Are they there because of greed or because I love shoes and have the means to buy them...and don't buy them or worry about them if I can't afford them? (It is not greed, BTW :) It is pure love)

Pride...vanity...sloth...all these things can be taken at a much greater context than what's on the surface.

They are human traits that we all have probably exhibited at one time or another.

But do we let it get out of control?

I think this movie makes it impossible not to examine oneself in the context of these "sins." You may come to the conclusion that they aren't sins at all, and that's fine. But it makes you, or it did me, look deep within yourself to find truth.

Celia Cyanide
04-21-2012, 07:10 AM
Yeah, see that's what I thought. And I think that's interesting. Because for me, SE7EN was about what we become when we stand in judgement of other people. We become Kevin Spacey. (I mean his evil character of course. Actually becoming Kevin Spacey would be awesome.)

Did the prostitute really commit the sin of lust, or did her johns? Some might see the woman who commits suicide because she is no longer beautiful as too prideful, but she was a model, and her beauty was her livelihood. If he were to take a concent pianist and smash every bone in her hands with a mallet, would she be severely depressed, or would that make her too prideful?

Alpha Echo
04-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah, see that's what I thought. And I think that's interesting. Because for me, SE7EN was about what we become when we stand in judgement of other people. We become Kevin Spacey. (I mean his evil character of course. Actually becoming Kevin Spacey would be awesome.)

Did the prostitute really commit the sin of lust, or did her johns? Some might see the woman who commits suicide because she is no longer beautiful as too prideful, but she was a model, and her beauty was her livelihood. If he were to take a concent pianist and smash every bone in her hands with a mallet, would she be severely depressed, or would that make her too prideful?

That's a good point(and I agree that being Kevin Spacey would rock).

I'm not saying that the movie doesn't make you think about all of that too! It does! I'm a very deep thinker...my husband and I were talking about this tonight. Interesting. I love hearing different sides to everything because many times, I find myself caught in the middle.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Slightly OT:

Perhaps in homage to Cabin in the Woods being in current release (tho I expect I give them too much credit), TCM played that old chestnut Equinox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equinox_(film)) last night. I have such fond memories of that movie from my childhood.

I've long maintained that The Evil Dead (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Evil_Dead_(1981_film))borrowed heavily from Equinox--it's nearly a remake--and the wikipages sort of confirm that. But watching Equinox last night, I was startled that there is an entire (long) speech from the film that was inserted directly into The Evil Dead.

dragonjax
04-23-2012, 03:07 PM
Saw it. Loved it!

Spoilery question: Did anyone catch what the intern (Tom Lenk's character) had frantically written and showed the security cameras? That was one of the times I wished I had been watching on my DVR instead of in the theater. I'm itching to know what he wrote.

Celia Cyanide
04-23-2012, 04:43 PM
Gotta say, I'm disappointed this movie is not doing better.

shawkins
04-23-2012, 06:05 PM
re: dragonjax - I wondered about that too. Spoilery answer (according to imdb):

Trapped in a closet
Dragonbat has my scent
Send help!
re: not doing better - me too. its not doing bad, exactly ($30m worldwide at the moment), but IMHO it should have dethroned Hunger Games on its opening weekend and be well on the way to #1 grossing movie of all time.

But (mild spoilers): <shrug> it's not like there was a lot of room for a sequel.

dragonjax
04-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Thanks, shawkins! :D

I'd think that Joss's name alone would be enough for the draw. But given all the production delays -- my husband couldn't believe it had been shelved since 2007 -- I guess I'm not surprised. I see this going the way of cult sensation.

But damn straight I'll be buying the DVD. :)

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
"Good work, zombie hand!"

Saw this again last night and now I want to move to Vermont and marry Fran Kranz. That's normal, right?

shawkins
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
I'd think that Joss's name alone would be enough for the draw. But given all the production delays -- my husband couldn't believe it had been shelved since 2007 -- I guess I'm not surprised.

The shelving didn't have anything to do with the movie itself, it just got caught up in the MGM bankruptcy along with the next James Bond and the Red Dawn remake. Lionsgate bought it a few months ago, iirc.

"Good work, zombie hand!"

Saw this again last night and now I want to move to Vermont and marry Fran Kranz. That's normal, right?

Yeah, perfectly normal. I spent most of the day yesterday picking out apartments and china patterns, and I'm not even gay.

K. Taylor
04-23-2012, 08:28 PM
If Avengers ends up a positive for Joss' direction, then Cabin should get a bump.

Joss hasn't helped his rep with the BTVS comics, which are a total trainwreck. The majority of the fans of the TV series either dropped it a long time ago, or read pirated copies for the WTF factor.

Celia Cyanide
04-23-2012, 08:38 PM
"I'm drawing a line in the f*cking sand! Do not read the Latin!"

Grrarrgh
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
I saw this over the weekend and loved it. It was refreshing to see something a little different than the usual teenagers-in-the-woods stuff.

LongWave
04-23-2012, 10:57 PM
Awesome. I loved it. What a nice twist. But as others have said, its not really scary.

LongWave
04-24-2012, 07:09 PM
One of the best movies I've seen in a long timeŚwitty, sharp, aware. A great lampoon of formulaic horrors. Man I wish it was making more money; Whedon really needs more of a presence on the Big Screen. (Go, Avengers!)

It was trying to be?

Random spoilery thoughts:
I don't know if revealing the force field with the bird was the best idea, cause the fate of Chris Hemsworth wasn't much of a surprise, though maybe that was the point knowing the huge buildup with the music was in vain. Wasn't feeling the giant hand at the end; tentacles would have more fit the Lovecrafty "Old Gods" theme, and the recent Titans movie had plenty of giant fiery god-hand. One of the monsters on the betting board was "Kevin," wtf. Loved Fred from Angel. Loved the variety of monsters.

I don't know. I thought a few scenes had potential for 'scary.'
I hadnt heard much about the flick, and only saw one trailer awhile ago, so I kinda thought it was supposed to be scary as I went into it. The two girls I went with also were surprised it wasnt as scary as they expected.

Seraph
04-24-2012, 07:18 PM
Yeah, the trailers almost mis-paint it. Sucker us into watching what turns out to be a comedy ripping on horror tropes.

NewKidOldKid
04-24-2012, 07:23 PM
Yeah, the trailers almost mis-paint it. Sucker us into watching what turns out to be a comedy ripping on horror tropes.

Actually, I felt cheated. I hate funny horrors, so I was really disappointed.

Darkshore
04-24-2012, 07:57 PM
That's certainly a marketing fault. This movie would have been much better without any advertisement spoilers, but you have to build up an audience somehow.

LongWave
04-24-2012, 10:08 PM

Just my opinion, but I don't think it crossed over into that typical goofy/comedy genre though. I didnt think it was funny at all...well maybe except the stoner character. He was quirky, but not really funny.

Jcomp
04-25-2012, 12:11 AM

For an R-rated horror comedy marketed heavily on its "twists" and produced by a guy with surprisingly little box-office clout (this might've been served better to have a post-Avengers release), I'd say it's done about as well as can be expected. It'll probably see substantial profits from Blu-Ray and DVD. I think it should turn out fairly successful overall.

robeiae
04-25-2012, 12:21 AM
I want to see it.

I'm just hoping the "surprise ending" doesn't involve Buzz Lightyear...

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-25-2012, 12:45 AM
One of the monsters on the betting board was "Kevin," wtf. http://i1095.photobucket.com/albums/i461/JagoBC/Misc/theboard.jpg

No one had Sugar Plum Fairy?!? She was scary! And I think right above Dragonbat is Snowman.

Nonuw
04-25-2012, 01:09 AM
Is it gory? I don't enjoy that kind of horror at all.

shawkins
04-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Is "Fornicus, Lord of Bondage" the same as "Hell Lord?"

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-25-2012, 04:49 AM
Could be. I was thinking he was one of the Deadites; weren't the things in Hellraiser called something along those lines?

Seraph
04-25-2012, 06:48 AM
Is it gory? I don't enjoy that kind of horror at all.
Gore isn't the emphasis, nothing like the Saws or Hostel, but there is some.

Could be. I was thinking he was one of the Deadites; weren't the things in Hellraiser called something along those lines?
I think Deadites were the things off Evil Dead. Fornicus I'm leaning towards being Hell Lord cause he looks like Pinhead, and Hell Lord - Hellraiser. They must have had fun naming these things. Angry Molesting Tree :D

JohnnyGottaKeyboard
04-25-2012, 09:16 AM
They must have had fun naming these things. Angry Molesting Tree :DAlong with the exterior of the cabin and the cellar door bursting open by itself, the AMT was a gleeful nod to (admittedly one of the most controversial aspects of) Evil Dead.

I do wonder why I can not find the unicorn on the board however. Maybe it was summoned by the Sugar Plum Fairy. And how/why are Wendigo and Yeti the same?

nighttimer
04-25-2012, 11:44 AM

I'd think that Joss's name alone would be enough for the draw. But given all the production delays -- my husband couldn't believe it had been shelved since 2007 -- I guess I'm not surprised. I see this going the way of cult sensation.

But damn straight I'll be buying the DVD. :)

The fault for the movie underperforming lies not with Whedon and Goddard, but Lions Gate which purchased it after MGM took a dirt nap.

There were fears Lions Gate wouldn't market this they way they have two of their franchises The Cabin In the Woods was made in reaction to: Saw and Hostel. Apparently, those fears were justified as the film has only pulled down a weak $27 million.

Imagine if the ads had said "From the director of The Avengers and the writer of Cloverfield. Think that might have put a few more fannies in the seats?

This is the sort of movie that will probably be unappreciated when it was released and find its audience when it hits the Blu-Ray and DVD players. It's a perfect flick when you want to invite some of your peeps over. At least the ones whom aren't too stupid to be confused by a horror flick that is actually smart and is more interested in putting thoughts in your head instead of images of gore, suffering and dismembered bodies.

I may have to drag some of the slackers I know to a matinee for it disembarks for the second-run theaters.

But I'm probably going to have to hurry. The Avengers opens next week (complete with a new The Dark Knight Rises trailer). :e2salute:

Fiender
04-29-2012, 03:10 AM
I enjoyed the movie thoroughly. Disappointed that it isn't doing better, but I didn't think it redefined the genre or anything like that.

But hey, anything that gives Tom Lenk more work is fine by me. <3

knporter
09-25-2012, 08:43 AM
I just watched it and WOW was I surprised. I wish I had seen it in the theater. I thought it was going to be another stupid teenagers go camping and get slaughtered by some maniac movie. Not only did I think the humor in the movie was a great touch but being a huge monster lover the ending was amazing. I think if more people had known it was going to have a monster twist more of the true horror fanatics would have gone to see it.

:evil

Diana Hignutt
09-25-2012, 02:51 PM
Did anyone else notice the eerie resemblence to the Scooby gang to the cast? No dog, of course. Could that one guy have been more Shaggy???

Great, great film.

seun
09-25-2012, 03:18 PM
Watched it the other night. Very enjoyable. And I'm definitely glad I knew so little about it beforehand.

EMaree
09-25-2012, 03:58 PM
Watched this on DVD, and I was also glad I didn't know more about it (and gutted I didn't see it in the cinema).

This was a brilliant horror movie, I loved it.

Did anyone else notice the eerie resemblence to the Scooby gang to the cast? No dog, of course. Could that one guy have been more Shaggy???

Haha, yes! For the first half hour of the movie, before we picked up on their names, we just called the guys Shaggy, Fred and Fred2. (Or sometimes 'Stoner and THOOOOORRRRRRRR and the other guy')

Celia Cyanide
09-26-2012, 05:08 AM
I just watched it and WOW was I surprised. I wish I had seen it in the theater. I thought it was going to be another stupid teenagers go camping and get slaughtered by some maniac movie. Not only did I think the humor in the movie was a great touch but being a huge monster lover the ending was amazing. I think if more people had known it was going to have a monster twist more of the true horror fanatics would have gone to see it.

:evil

Yeah, that was the problem, though. They couldn't show any of that without giving away all the surprises. It's the FIGHT CLUB of horror!

Calla Lily
09-26-2012, 05:20 AM
Didn't realize there was a separate thread for this. We just saw it tonight. So much fun. Two thumbs up!

J.S.F.
09-26-2012, 11:08 AM
Can't wait for the DVD to be released here (Japan). Everything comes here at least three months behind the times. Definitely a keeper.

seun
09-26-2012, 11:40 AM
MASSIVE SPOILERS.................

Very refreshing to see a horror film that ends as it did - without a cheap jump or leaving it open ended for a sequel.

Max Vaehling
09-26-2012, 05:04 PM
So, after another half year of avoiding threads like this for fear of spoilers, the movie has finally been released in Germany, and to my surprise, my local cinema has actually played the English version. Twice.

I was a bit weary that after years and years of postponing it the built-up expectations would be impossible for even Whedon and Goddard to meet, and I had to remind myself that this wasn't the Lord Of the Rings of horror movies, but a rather small production back when it was shot.

But man, what fun!

Glad to say that the big reveal everybody had been hinting to (and there's nothing more boring than a turnaround reveal you know is coming) turned out to be more of a progression. The only disappointing shot was the hand that wasn't a tentacle, but hey, that was just Drew having a bit of fun at the end.

Minor plot holes, like why would "the client" care about contemporary American horror tropes (which they said was why they staged the whole thing the way they did)? I didn't get that, and in a lesser movie it may have been a deal breaker, but this was just too much fun to not go with.

Also, loved the unicorn!

EMaree
09-26-2012, 05:44 PM
Re, the tropes:

I get the feeling human rights may have come in to play. As one of the characters said, it used to be as simple as throwing a girl into a volcano. Now their scenario had to be very focussed on "free will" getting you the death setance.

Sure, it's still an entirely unfair system, but it's probably good enough to satisfy management.

Celia Cyanide
09-27-2012, 05:19 AM
Minor plot holes, like why would "the client" care about contemporary American horror tropes (which they said was why they staged the whole thing the way they did)?

That was all a condition of the sacrifice. You know how, in The Wicker Man, the sacrifice had to be an adult male virgin who represented the law who came to the island of his own free will? It was kind of like that.

mhjess
09-29-2012, 05:27 AM
Joss Whedon is a genius. If he and Kevin Williamson ever collaborated on something together (particularly a TV series), I would be in HEAVEN.

Manuel Royal
09-29-2012, 07:41 AM
Joss Whedon and I tend to have similar ideas. Similar strengths and weaknesses as a writer, too. I've got a couple of strengths he doesn't have, but they haven't helped. He's got two essential strengths I lack: energy and persistence. Those'll get you far.

With The Cabin in the Woods, he's taken an idea I would have let roll uselessly around in the back of my mind for years, and developed it with some real fun and boldness, keeping things moving fast enough to leap over plot holes, bypass backstory and skirt the edges of the ludicrous without slowing down. Good job. Enjoyed the movie a lot.

mhjess
09-29-2012, 10:24 AM
Joss' best strength, IMO, is his ability to flip a concept on its head. I remember an interview he did about Buffy where he said he'd seen movies where the blonde girl goes into the alley and gets killed by the monster, and wanted to write something where the blonde girl is what the monsters are afraid of.

I think he did the same thing with Cabin In The Woods. "Hot teenagers go into the woods, have sex and die" is the plot of pretty much every horror movie. But, he takes it to this place that's at first self aware and then totally beyond where you would imagine the story to go.

I love that about him and I feel honored to have grown up with so much exposure to his work.