then the hind
stepped down
into the pit of
the empty
flowerpot

oneovu

Registered
Reaction score
This one left me cold. I would not be surprised to hear there is much more than meets the minds-eye, but I can't see it.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
To me, this one doesn't have the multiple interpretive levels of WCW's "plum poem" [This Is Just to Say] that came up for discussion a few months ago. But, as a cat owner, I laughed each time I read it. So I gave it a 2 for the cat snapshot, but it's not doing much else for me.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I dunno. The poem didn't do that much for me, but my cat is all about slowly stepping into ridiculous situations. Sometimes he looks right at me when he does it, too.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

As this poem
behaves
as prose
without
the benefit
of punctuation

carefully
and then again
reread
for hidden meaning
my cat
likes it

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
very interesting responses. they beg the question: what is the function of poetry?

for williams, in this case (and many others with him) it is simply to offer you a snapshot of his experience. like other imagists, williams saw the accurate conveyance of an image, one that defies paraphrase, as an end in itself.

Paint

Warrior of Truth
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Standing at the precipitous cliff, believing I can
Website
www.shawnk.com
To answer your question-"What is the function of poetry?" Different people read poetry for different reasons. I read poetry to inspire creation, and provoke thought.I agree that this was written like prose without punctuation. The image did not inspire me. It did however inspire Unique to write a poem about her cat, so all is not lost.
Paint

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't aware poetry had a 'function'. If a poem has to have a function, that makes it rather like that frilly, crocheted potholder your Aunt Nellie gave you - it looks nice, but what the heck do you do with it?

I look for three things in a poem:

*make me think
*make me feel or
*show me how you felt when you wrote it

If any poem can do all three - then I'll give it a five.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
ah, but we're talking about cross-purposes here. you're talking about the expectation, which comes from the reader and is imposed on the poem. i'm talking about the function, which is built into the poem and flows from the writer to the reader.

no matter why one reads, when one reads a poem like this, one can find nothing but what is there. you can look for a hidden meaning, but you won't find it. you can look for metaphor, and you might find it, but it would be a connection in your own mind and would (in my opinion) lie outside of the poet's intent.

now, you might reject the image. deem it interesting or not, find it evocative or not. but your reasons for reading don't enter into what it is...

not a critique of your comment, paint... but just some general thoughts on the nexus of the author's agenda and that of the reader.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As the cat climbed over the jamcloset, first the right forefoot (carefully), then the hind stepped down into the pit of the empty flowerpot.

You are correct - there is nothing hidden inside this wrapper.

But enlighten me - why is this piece called a poem? Is there some meter I'm unaware of that lends it the status of poem? If a poem is as brief as the above, what elevates it past the realm of a sentence?

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
Unique said:
But enlighten me - why is this piece called a poem? Is there some meter I'm unaware of that lends it the status of poem? If a poem is as brief as the above, what elevates it past the realm of a sentence?

To make two bold statements: There's nothing sentimental about a machine, and: A poem is a small (or large) machine made out of words. When I say there's nothing sentimental about a poem, I mean that there can be no part that is redundant. Prose may carry a load of ill-defined matter like a ship. But poetry is a machine which drives it, pruned to a perfect economy. As in all machines, its movement is intrinsic, undulant, a physical more than a literary character.

From: Williams's introduction to The Wedge, in Selected Essays of William Carlos Williams (NY: New Directions, 1969), p. 256.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Would it be too rude to say, 'thank God the man is dead and no longer writing the abominations he calls poetry?'

Yes, it would be too rude. So I shan't say it.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
I think the presentation of the words in a poem format is what makes it "a poem" rather than just a sentence.

Will, I understand what you are saying in regard to the poet's intent, but I'm not sure that it is always the case that there's nothing beyond what the artist claims. Do you mean that as it applies to the "snapshot" poets specifically, or do you mean it in a broader way, that art is only what the creator says it is?

I agree with the first one, but not the second.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
There's something sneaky about the title, Unique.

I don't know what it is, but I think it's worth discussing.
And think about that. Of all the pieces he could have titled "Poem," he chose this one. [Assuming he doesn't have a hundred poemss with the same title; I don't know that many of them.]

Reaction score
Maybe he felt the need to spell out to people what this piece of **** was meant to be? I mean, if a poem is a poem, the poet doesn't (or shouldn't) need to tell us, right? :D

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said:
I'd rather gouge my own eyes out with hot teaspoons than read it again. :(
Was it really that painful? Even if you didn't like it, it was very short. I'd need something much longer and torturous to drive me to hot spoons.

mkcbunny

Bufflehead
Registered
Reaction score
scarletpeaches said:
Maybe he felt the need to spell out to people what this piece of **** was meant to be? I mean, if a poem is a poem, the poet doesn't (or shouldn't) need to tell us, right? :D
Unless we're supposed to be having this discussion as a result.

It's may be like a conceptualist painting a big square canvas green and calling it "painting." Those who hate conceptual art say it's not art.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I think the presentation of the words in a poem format is what makes it "a poem" rather than just a sentence.

there is a particular cadence to this, and the assonance of "top" and "closet"; the alliteration of the repeated "p"s in the last three lines... it has the qualities of a poem.

Will, I understand what you are saying in regard to the poet's intent, but I'm not sure that it is always the case that there's nothing beyond what the artist claims. Do you mean that as it applies to the "snapshot" poets specifically, or do you mean it in a broader way, that art is only what the creator says it is?

heavens no. i mean that for the imagists, as one school of poetry, the "thing" is the thing. imagism was a rejection of the sentimental quality of "genteel"/victorian poetry, and simply wanted to paint a picture with language.

there is certainly a great deal of meaning, drawn out through subtext, through metaphor and symbolism, through the evocation of emotion, in most poetry, to varying degrees of success. for the imagists, however, these things did not concern them.

Unique

Agent of Doom
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
trumancoyote said:
Aw, I think he's playful.

He's not my favorite, but he's done some cool ****, Ms. Unique.

I should hope so. It would be a tragedy to become famous for a whole body of work such as that.

What does this poem do? It says his cat walks one step a time. Huzzah! Most cats do at some point in time. If I wanted a snapshot, I'd use a camera.

This is the kind of poem I can see someone writing, showing it off at some literary function and then going home and laughing their *** off because everyone said it was so fabulous. "Remarkable, dahling - your best work"

No wonder you said poetry was dead.