Status
Not open for further replies.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
For people who have self-pubbed direct to Kindle, I have a question. I have a title enrolled in Kindle Select becuase I want to do a one-day free promotion, and then I plan to quit the program after the 90 days. My book is "free" to Amazon prime membersduring that time. How does this lending option work? Do they only lend out one copy of your book at a time, or will they lend it simultaneously, multiple copies? So could 1,000 people "borrow" your book in a month?

Last edited:

WackAMole

WTF?!?!
Registered
Reaction score
Amazon prime is a whole different animal. Amazon Prime is a membership program that if i am not mistaken has nothing to do with you really. Basically the member can purchase the book for free (so to speak, they pay a membership fee) but you still get your cut.

If you want to activate your free Promo period you have to do it from your bookshelf. It doesnt happen automatically. Select your book on your bookshelf, click the actions tab below that...at the bottom of the screen. then select 'manage Promotions'. This is where you can now set up the days you want to promo free.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I activated it, but I just wondered if we got anything from those prime deals. If you enable lending on any title (select or otherwise), do they just give it free to their prime customers? How do they figure your "cut"?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I activated it, but I just wondered if we got anything from those prime deals. If you enable lending on any title (select or otherwise), do they just give it free to their prime customers? How do they figure your "cut"?

There is a pool of money designated monthly. The total number of KOLL (Kindle Owners Lending Library) downloads is divided between all the authors who had titles downloaded. Example: If 300,000 KOLL downloads were made in March and the pool was $600,000, each author would receive $2.00 per download. If your e-book has 20 downloads, you would receive $40 ($2.00 X 20).

The amount in the pool is designated on a monthly basis and the royalty depends on how many titles are downloaded. If I recall correctly, last December the amount was $1.70 per title; last January it was $1.60 per title and last February it was $1.80 per title. Amazon KDP announces the amount for the previous month around the 15th (i.e., we'll find out what the amount per title is for March around April 15th).

A title that normally sells for $.99 cents will receive a higher royalty since titles priced $2.98 or less only receive a 35% royalty. Titles priced between $2.99-$9.99, will see a reduced royalty (albeit not a huge reduction if your title is priced at $2.99, much more if it is priced at $3.99 or higher).

Prime members may download one free book per month from all the books that are in the KOLL program.

ETA: I would also suggest that before you sign up for a program, read the Terms of Service. Most of your questions would have been answered by reading through the FAQ and researching the program before signing up. That's not a slam against you, just sayin' that whenever we make a contract with a person or company, we need to fully understand what it is we're signing up for.

Last edited:

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
Thank you. Yes, you're right. I skimmed the TOS instead of scouring them (as I'm not planning to stay more than 90 days anyway), and I consqeuntly overlooked some things. I should have read carefully. Advice appreciated. I find the wordage a bit confusing, and this is very clear.

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
I find the wordage a bit confusing, and this is very clear.

I think the regular Amazon KDP TOS are confusing in regard to the free promotion/price-matching issue. On the one hand they say they will price-match and then they say you cannot offer your e-book at a lower price (e.g. it needs to be the same price across all sales channels). It took several e-mails with Amazon KDP to get that one straightened out so I understood the intent and when the price-matching option could be used (when a sales channel reduces the price on their own volition, not because an author reduced the price).

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
I think the regular Amazon KDP TOS are confusing in regard to the free promotion/price-matching issue. On the one hand they say they will price-match and then they say you cannot offer your e-book at a lower price (e.g. it needs to be the same price across all sales channels). It took several e-mails with Amazon KDP to get that one straightened out so I understood the intent and when the price-matching option could be used (when a sales channel reduces the price on their own volition, not because an author reduced the price).

Ah, good to know. I wondered about that too. Amazon is a business genius when it comes to its efforts to corner the market. I'm out of select after 90-days - just wanted to do the one free promo. I don't want to stay limitedto the one ebook type forever, but it served my temporary purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.