How do I put a picture of my bookcover in my signature?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebekkah

To thine own self be true.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
themusingwriter.blogspot.com
How do I put a picture of my bookcover and another writer's testimony regarding my book in my signature? I want it displayed below my comments.

Thanks. :)

Deleted member 42

I figured out the book cover deal. However, I'd like it bigger.

To be blunt, the problem is not so much about the size of the image, as it is with the design.

The typography is lost in the blur of the image.

The image lacks contrast. It also doesn't clearly clearly identify the genre; covers are specifically associated with genres.

Readers depend on cover themes/tropes/styles fo identify genre—there's nothing about this one that "speaks" to the reader in terms of genre.

There's a reason that cover artists are a very specialized niche.

It's a very specific collection of skills.

Go to your local bookstore. Look at the covers. Look at the covers for the titles that are selling in your genre.

These cover images are all smaller than yours:

whitedragon.jpg

200px-CherryhAlternateRealitiesCover.jpg

This last one is a bit larger than the others: but while it's archaic in terms of sensibility, look how easily recognizable it is. It's not a paranormal YA—but it's pretty clear what genre it is.

I beg of you, please, hold off on self-publishing.

Really.

You haven't really even begun in terms of revising, and beta readers, and finding an agent.

I'd hate to see you blow a genuine opportunity. You can always choose to self-publish.

But you can't always choose to commercially publish.

For YA novels, in particular, this is a bad decision. YA novels are mostly purchased by libraries, and in hard cover.

Hardcover means larger advance, and larger royalties.

And you'll still have the chance to epublish—but to epublish with a trade/commercial publisher, and their marketing and sales departements, supporting you.

While you work on the sequel, which will require care, and diligence, and expertise.

Why waste your opportunity?

Rebekkah

To thine own self be true.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
themusingwriter.blogspot.com
I appreciate your comment, but regarding the revising, beta readers, and finding an agent, I've done all that. In fact, my editor just finished editing my book and told me the ending is terrific, I wrote a story people will identify with and love to read. Also, I've had this book cover displayed on Facebook and other places and so far everybody loves it. Yeah, I'll have to check into what you're saying about the typography, but all and all, I've had good reviews on it. I've also had good reviews on my book and an agent who is reading it now. However, that agent is unreliable. I'm not aganist having an agent. I think agents are great, but there are many reasons why I'm taking this route instead. If in the future I get an outstanding offer from an outside source regarding my series, then I'll take a different route, but for now, I truly believe I'm doing the right thing and already have quite a few people anticipating buying my book. :)

Billtrumpet25

Registered
Reaction score
I appreciate your comment, but regarding the revising, beta readers, and finding an agent, I've done all that. In fact, my editor just finished editing my book and told me the ending is terrific, I wrote a story people will identify with and love to read. Also, I've had this book cover displayed on Facebook and other places and so far everybody loves it. Yeah, I'll have to check into what you're saying about the typography, but all and all, I've had good reviews on it. I've also had good reviews on my book and an agent who is reading it now. However, that agent is unreliable. I'm not aganist having an agent. I think agents are great, but there are many reasons why I'm taking this route instead. If in the future I get an outstanding offer from an outside source regarding my series, then I'll take a different route, but for now, I truly believe I'm doing the right thing and already have quite a few people anticipating buying my book. :)

Some publishers get very antsy with self-pubbed works, so I don't know if many others would take up the project, especially if it is unrefined. Too many strings attached. Please, follow Medieval's advice. You'd be glad you did.

frosteeman

A Writing Mochine
Registered
Reaction score
This is a test, to see if my Avatar posts, I just followed Med's advice and need to see if it worked. Do not adjust your screen, this is only a test. If it didn't work, I'm PMing Med.

Well, I'll be danged, it worked. Got to get more than 50 posts though, so I can increase the size. Thanks Med.

Status
Not open for further replies.