Stabbed in the back

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
In my current WIP I have a scene where a man falls backwards into a chair in which a broken mirror had been placed; a large shard of glass stabs him in the back. I intend it to be fatal.

Would he have time to register shock? Would he have time to scream, or even grimace? Would he start spitting up blood?

I can think of a movie scene where someone was killed by a jagged piece of glass in a falling window sash, but the afterlife was a main plot theme and we see his reaction after he's dead.

Snick

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
I suppose that a shad of glass lying in a chair could kill someone, but it wouldn't be instant, and it would be a rare piece of bad luck for the victim.

mtrenteseau

Mild-mannered accountant by day...
Registered
Reaction score
In the scene, a mirror is placed in a chair in a dimly lit room and the person shoots it. He's then disarmed and tossed into the chair by the person he thought he had shot.

Later, he gets up and a large shard of glass that was in the mirror frame falls forward, so it's at about a forty-five degree angle. Then he's tossed back into the chair.

I'm picturing a piece of glass that's angled, sharp, and about eight inches wide at the base.

WriteKnight

Arranger Of Disorder
Registered
Reaction score
30,000 light years from Galactic Central Point.
Sure, he would notice it, probably scream, writhe in pain. If it punctures a lung, he'll cough up blood. Basically, he's going to bleed to death if it doesn't hit his heart. He'll go into shock - perhaps get up and struggle with it. Depending on where it enters. The rib cage is pretty tight where it meets the spine, so yeah - going to take a lot of luck in the placement - but not impossible.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I imagine anywhere in the back apart from the heart wouldn't be instantly fatal. Especially somewhere below the ribs like the liver maybe? Where he's got time to register shock and pain but is going to die without instant medical aid.