Question about author loyalty, series loyalty and genre choice

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZaWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Greetings all, I just want to warn you in advance that I've been rolling this question around in my head for a couple days and it still hasn't entirely fully-formed, so if this sounds a little vague, please feel free to moan at me. :)

Okay, I've read in a few places (no sources, but I do believe I've seen the statement made here) that a self-published e-authors' best bet for building a solid fan base is through the writing of a series of books/related shorts. Has anyone here seen evidence to the contrary, ie success stories that have not come about, in part, as a result of writers producing a series of books, but rather as a result of readers simply enjoying an individual style of writing and personal choice in subject matter?

As an extension to that question, how many people have experienced some degree of success while publishing in multiple genres?
I ask this because, while most of my work tends to be of a relatively dark nature, the genres that I actually write in can range from horror, to literary and sometimes tragic romance.
Would my best bet be to publish only the works from one genre that I produce, or maybe to publish different genres under different names?

merrihiatt

Writing! Writing! Writing!
Absolute Sage
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
merrihiatt.com
Nick Russell had great success with a single mystery book. He has written other books and has an active blog, so had an internet community, but still, he's sold over 100,000 e-books of Big Lake. He has since written another book, Big Lake Lynching.

I've had moderate success with romance trilogies. My fantasy trilogy has not fared as well.

leahzero

The colors! THE COLORS!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
words.leahraeder.com
The Mill River Recluse is another standalone self-published title that made it big.

But these are exceptions. Generally it seems series and recurring characters are what lead to SP success.

Sarashay

Shut Up and Write
Registered
Reaction score
The Mill River Recluse is another standalone self-published title that made it big.

But these are exceptions. Generally it seems series and recurring characters are what lead to SP success.

Makes sense to me. It's easier to persuade one reader to buy five books than it is to hope that four more people will buy the first one.

Michael Davis

Registered
Reaction score
All my releases have cut across different genres: Romantic suspense, political thrillers, and SciFi. When the muse whispers a story in my ear, she chooses the genre, not I. I'm very fortunate my publisher cares only about the quality of the story, not its genre. Had them asked for section rewrites but after 14 stories, never refused one due to its category.

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I have several nonfiction books on Amazon, as well as two books in the Big Lake series.The two mysteries outsell the other books by over 40 to one. So yes, I think a series is the best way to go, based upon my experience.

ZaWolf

Registered
Reaction score
All my releases have cut across different genres: Romantic suspense, political thrillers, and SciFi. When the muse whispers a story in my ear, she chooses the genre, not I. I'm very fortunate my publisher cares only about the quality of the story, not its genre. Had them asked for section rewrites but after 14 stories, never refused one due to its category.

This is pretty much where I'm coming from. I tend toward certain genres, but I'm somewhat all over the place, and I'm not all that comfortable with the idea of leashing the muse and trying to force the words to flow in a particular direction.

@ Nick: I've been lurking here for a while, so I've seen/read a bit about your success, which has been damned inspiring. My question for you is, do you think that maybe you've put more 'heart' into your Big Lake books than the others?
In other words, do you think they sell better because they're a series, or because there's an indefinable something 'more' to them?

Did that make sense?

Nick Russell

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
@ Nick: I've been lurking here for a while, so I've seen/read a bit about your success, which has been damned inspiring. My question for you is, do you think that maybe you've put more 'heart' into your Big Lake books than the others?
In other words, do you think they sell better because they're a series, or because there's an indefinable something 'more' to them?

Did that make sense?

That's a good question. Probably so, since I really like the whole Big Lake thing. Of course, another factor is that my other books are travel and RV related, which draws a smaller, more targeted audience than fiction readers.

ZaWolf

Registered
Reaction score
Also true...
I guess I probably shouldn't be worrying about a formula, one way or the other, and should just get on and write what I write.

Alas, I can't help but occasionally cater to the mind gremlins.

Thanks all, for the responses thus far.

Al Stevens

Registered
Reaction score
Nick, is a strategy lurking in your pricing? Big Lake is $.99. Big Lake Lynching is $2.99. Can you comment on why you did it that way and what you think the sales results might have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.